Adding new Galactopedia entries? (Help files)

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Mansen

Adding new Galactopedia entries? (Help files)

Post by Mansen »

I've been trying to add new help files for custom races for my race/universe mods but not having any luck so far. Is there a trick to it? [:(]
Currently Working On:
X-Universe Conversion (Hiatus)
Mansen

RE: Adding new Galactopedia entries? (Help files)

Post by Mansen »

Upon further experimentation it would appear that custom help files are not at all possible.

Surely this isn't optimal, CodeForge? Any chance you can add this as a patch at a later date? Especially for custom races and such. :)
Currently Working On:
dostillevi

Post by dostillevi »

I believe the next expansion will be focused on modding. I'm sure this will come up again when they start looking for feedback for it!
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

Can be done but you need to write the pages by hand.

Here is my post on the subject and what it looks like

Darkspire
Mansen

Post by Mansen »

Granted I haven't had my 5 pounds of ground coffee beans today, but that thread of yours seems to deal with viewing the help files outside of the game, not adding new pages to it ingame? [&:]
Currently Working On:
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: Mansen

Granted I haven't had my 5 pounds of ground coffee beans today, but that thread of yours seems to deal with viewing the help files outside of the game, not adding new pages to it ingame? [&:]

Here are the images for the edited Galactopedia files ingame, the post was about putting them in game, someone just asked if they could be viewed outside the game in IE about half way down the post. The files work but the only way to get a menu working for you new pages is to have a frame menu inside the main page as you can see from the images, no way round this as the Galactopedia menu links are hardcoded.

Darkspire

Mansen

Post by Mansen »

Right! I completely missed the obvious "index-ception" thing going on there. It's a rough hack but I guess it'll have to do till such a point when CF makes help files moddable. :)
Currently Working On:
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

It would also help to have some one smarter than me make a 3rd party stand alone editor for this if the galactopedia is ever opened for editing by CF. Some of us don't do so hot at that kind of scripting.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Mansen

Post by Mansen »

Scripting? You can open the MHTML files in something as simple as Word and carefully cut/paste text (to keep the image position - you can even use "choose image" to switch them out)

Here's one I did quickly as a test using one of the new races from the Extended mod.

http://peecee.dk/upload/download/412314
Currently Working On:
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

If you don't understand the basics of it though, you can really make a mess. Read: I will likely make a big mess. [&:]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Solarius Scorch

Post by Solarius Scorch »

Not having editable help files is probably the weirdest decision of CodeForge ever. I'd understand if the game wasn't moddable at all, but since it is...
I realized this post isn't terribly valuable, but I just can't wrap my head around this. Therefore, +1 to the petition to make the Galactopedia editable! :)
Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

Scripting? You can open the MHTML files in something as simple as Word and carefully cut/paste text (to keep the image position - you can even use "choose image" to switch them out)

Here's one I did quickly as a test using one of the new races from the Extended mod.

LMAO [:D] I have Word97 not Word 2010+, 'nuff said. I had to extract the .MHT files, then write by hand the frames and page code, then repack them back into a .MHT, saving it as a page in a browser does not seem to work as I could not get them to display in game.

Darkspire
Mansen

Post by Mansen »

Hahaha, yeah you'll need Word 2010 or later to open the MHTML pages "visually". And then it's just a question of carefully editing the document to keep the format. :)
Currently Working On:
feygan

Post by feygan »

I noticed that this race does not appear in the list of the galactopedia races. So you still only have the basic races there. I did make up a few help files myself but had the same problem.

It appears as though even though the fils exist there is something elsewhere in game that will specify which help files to show in the pedia.

Anyone ever had any luck adding a new file? I can happily edit them to show and say anything but have never been able to add an extra number of files that show up.
Tehlongone

Post by Tehlongone »

I tried to make some as well but it seems they are fully hard-coded. You could however edit the main page about races to just have all of the races in one big list I think.

The optimal solution would be if the developers made the game, upon clicking on a custom race, try to open a help-file for said race (without crashing if none is there) and if there IS one with the correct name (like "race32" in the same style as the original naming) then it will open it same as with the original races.

It should be fairly simple, unless they've buried the code in a big mess of random patch-workings, but I don't think they have.

Return to “Design and Modding”