Sound Effect Volume

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

necaradan666

Sound Effect Volume

Post by necaradan666 »

How to adjust? The only option I can see is the effects slider, doesn't do anything though. Does the slider for sound effects work for anyone else?
necaradan666

RE: Sound Effect Volume

Post by necaradan666 »

Okay.. I see. You can only turn off the sound effects made in the actual game, there's no way to reduce the very loud clicking and bleeping sounds the ui makes when you hit buttons.. that sucks.
MothBones

Post by MothBones »

This is indeed a problem. The bleeps are really quite intrusive. Does anyone know a way to turn them off?
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: necaradan666

Okay.. I see. You can only turn off the sound effects made in the actual game, there's no way to reduce the very loud clicking and bleeping sounds the ui makes when you hit buttons.. that sucks.

Here is a solution to your problem

Darkspire
MothBones

Post by MothBones »

That is perfect! Thank you so much. I've just bought this game and am really enjoying it, so that flaw was sticking out in an otherwise fine UI. Hello to the forums from my nitpicking cave!
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: MothBones

That is perfect! Thank you so much. I've just bought this game and am really enjoying it, so that flaw was sticking out in an otherwise fine UI. Hello to the forums from my nitpicking cave!

Glad to be of service, and a big welcome to the forums back at ya I do have the sounds in various decreasing volumes, mine at present for construction are at -8dB.
Maybe I should start a post of my own, it can be a tad difficult keep finding the threads, think that's the third one I've put the sounds on, I will lose it in a few days with the new posts [:D]

Darkspire
Fenrisfil

Post by Fenrisfil »

I've manually altered a lot of the sound levels. Not just the clicks but also things like the ambient noises as I only really want the guns and explosions to be loud. If anyone wants an easy way of tweaking sound levels manually I recommend the freeware app Audacity (which I can't link to due to only recently joining the forum, but you can google it easily enough).
AMD Phenom II X4 3.2ghz, 16gb ram, 64bit Windows 7, Radeon HD6900.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: Fenrisfil

I've manually altered a lot of the sound levels. Not just the clicks but also things like the ambient noises as I only really want the guns and explosions to be loud. If anyone wants an easy way of tweaking sound levels manually I recommend the freeware app Audacity (which I can't link to due to only recently joining the forum, but you can google it easily enough).

One of the problems with Audacity is the fact that decreasing volume it doesn't sound right afterwards, I put my files through a 16 track sound sequencer which has full ramp and scale for sounds, sounds out of Audacity just sound muted not reduced in volume. If you want sounds reduced just ask, only to happy to help.

Darkspire
Fenrisfil

Post by Fenrisfil »

I'm not quite sure how having 16 tracks available helps reduce the level of a sound file. As for ramp and scale, are you talking about fades and compression? Personally I don't use Audacity (I use Pro Tools), but as it's free I figured it may be handy for some people and save people having to bound sound files back and forth around the internet if they want to do something simple. Lowering the amplitude of a digital wav file shouldn't make it sound muffled.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

I'm not quite sure how having 16 tracks available helps reduce the level of a sound file. As for ramp and scale, are you talking about fades and compression? Personally I don't use Audacity (I use Pro Tools), but as it's free I figured it may be handy for some people and save people having to bound sound files back and forth around the internet if they want to do something simple. Lowering the amplitude of a digital wav file shouldn't make it sound muffled.

I use Cool Edit Pro for sounds, one of the few legit copies on the planet I might add!! I have sound through head phones 99% of the time, especially when editing and the sounds that came out of Audacity just sounded wooden, flat, they had lost the ambiance. When I put them through Pro they still sound and feel the same that was all, I am not to hot with all the correct terms, I have done it for fun and as hobby for years but never really have become an audio engineer.

Darkspire
Fenrisfil

Post by Fenrisfil »

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

I use Cool Edit Pro for sounds, one of the few legit copies on the planet I might add!! I have sound through head phones 99% of the time, especially when editing and the sounds that came out of Audacity just sounded wooden, flat, they had lost the ambiance. When I put them through Pro they still sound and feel the same that was all, I am not to hot with all the correct terms, I have done it for fun and as hobby for years but never really have become an audio engineer.

Darkspire

Fair enough. I did become one, but I certainly agree with you about the quality of Cool Edit Pro. I do have Adobe Audition, which is of course what it became, but used it back in the day as CEP as well. It's not actually improved all that much since Adobe purchased it, but then, as they say: "If it's not broke...". The batch feature was always especially useful (especially for things like reducing the volume of wavs). You may not have gone pro, but thinking of how long ago CEP became Adobe Audition you've obviously been doing it a while. I can't say I've ever done the direct comparison between reducing sound levels on Audacity and Audition/CEP, maybe I'll give it a shot.

Return to “Tech Support”