Couple of questions (Shadows)

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Mansen

Couple of questions (Shadows)

Post by Mansen »

Finally got back home to install and boot up the game - Played for a few hours now and loving it so far. However there are a few things I'd like some help with - answers to questions even.

1. The game seems to make my designs obsolete before new ones can realistically replace them size wise. I constantly end up with having no available military designs because the "old ones" have been obsoleted and new ones are too large for my current tech level.

Is there a way to force the AI not to obsolete old designs until another can actually replace it? Do I have to disable design AI entirely?

2. I colonized a planet far away from my home system (Almost the 2 Sector max I had set up). I ordered a small shipyard for it, but it kept disappearing - I re-ordered it at least 5 times and it kept vanishing after about 40 modules had been built.

What kind of AI setting is butchering my shipyard exactly - and why? :(

3. Is there a trick to scouting for pirates and keeping them visible on my map? My exploration ships are all automatized and I rarely bother to follow them, yet there are loads of pirates operaing nearby (they kind of have to with how fast they respond to me refusing to pay protection money)
Currently Working On:
X-Universe Conversion (Hiatus)
Bingeling

RE: Couple of questions (Shadows)

Post by Bingeling »

1: I think it creates a new design that is too large, and obsoletes the old. This is annoying in the pre-warp era, but no good solution has been created. A good idea as empire is to not build early destroyers, and get the first construction size upgrade. You can un-obsolete designs. A "trick" can be to just alter something in the name of an AI design and save it (upgrade or copy as new). It will never obsolete your design, but always default to "latest" if you just order "frigate".

2: Are you sure it is not pirates killing it?

3: Bases? In my experience the system view will reveal structures (even if you have not seen them). That is reminders of where their mines are. You have to click just outside systems to see it, though.
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

For #1, I suggest changing automation for Retrofits or even ship design, that way you could upgrade when you're ready too.

#2, I'm thinking Pirates or Sabotage.
Sabotage can be a killer in this game, but I'd think you should be getting some messages about that.

#3, Pirates have main Bases, but they also have Mines (both Mineral & Fuel), so they may have ships parked at a nearby Fuel supply.
Only their Bases will flag on the map, and then only if they've been properly "explored".

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

Mansen

Post by Mansen »

No messages at all about the shipyard - I had a sabotage happen to one of my research stations so I should know how such a message looks.

(And I had a big fleet orbiting the planet as well so it couldn't really be a stealth strike)
Currently Working On:
Mansen

Post by Mansen »

Quick followup question - As a pirate, what governs the control percentage exactly? I had a group of 6 frigates and the refueling ship blockade off a traditional empire (not an independent colony) but the control percentage wouldn't go above 45% even after a second raid and having removed everything they own in space.

The tutorial mentions that population has an effect on how high the control percentage can go - is a starter empire too much to bite off initially or can I get above 50% and start kicking them around somehow? (More ships? Bigger ships)
Currently Working On:
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

ORIGINAL: Mansen

Quick followup question - As a pirate, what governs the control percentage exactly? I had a group of 6 frigates and the refueling ship blockade off a traditional empire (not an independent colony) but the control percentage wouldn't go above 45% even after a second raid and having removed everything they own in space.

The tutorial mentions that population has an effect on how high the control percentage can go - is a starter empire too much to bite off initially or can I get above 50% and start kicking them around somehow? (More ships? Bigger ships)

I think intimidation affects your control.

Space control and Raids are the first options that come to mind.

Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet

I think intimidation affects your control.

Space control and Raids are the first options that come to mind.

Add Facilities to that (for control).

elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Hi Mansen

There is a limit to how much control you can achieve over larger colonies.

The current formula is as follows:
- if a colony has population of less than 1.5 billion then full 100% control is achieveable
- for colonies over 1.5 billion population: a gradually decreasing cap on control level up to a population of 3 billion, above which no control is achieveable (i.e. 0%)

Thanks
Elliot
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Per the rules, the only way to increase control for a planet with a large population that is already near the control cap is to decrease their population.

For control in general, military presence in terms of ships (the more firepower the better) as well as raids and even your smugglers can all increase your control over a planet. Bases can secure control, preventing it from decaying down to 0% if you do not otherwise have presence there.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”