The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now!

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Philkian

The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now!

Post by Philkian »

Matrix Games and Slitherine (www.slitherine.com) are proud to announce the release of the highly anticipated third expansion to the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game series Distant Worlds: Shadows. To celebrate this release we have a great promotion running for the next six weeks, until July 5th, for both newcomers and existing fans.

For newcomers we have an amazing bundle offer. Get the entire Distant Worlds series and all its expansions for just $69.96! To get the bundle just add Distant Worlds to your cart and the bundle will be offered to you. That’s a saving of nearly 40% off the base price!

If that’s just too much content for you, we’re also dropping the base game to just $19.99 and all expansion will be sold separately for just $19.99! if you purchase Return of the Shakturi or Legends as part of the bundle, they are available for only $14.99! That’s a savings of up to 50% off the base price!

As an added bonus to existing Distant Worlds fans, through the duration of the sale Distant Worlds – Shadows will be priced at $19,99, $5 off the regular price, or the same discount given to newcomers to the series who take advantage of our bundle discount.

Distant Worlds: Shadows adds new gameplay to the Distant Worlds universe and is set in a new era in the Distant Worlds timeline, called the Age of Shadows.
In this time, when the planetary civilizations have not yet rediscovered hyperspace travel, factions of space-based pirates with remnants of ancient technologies battle each other to succeed in survival and expansion. They struggle to hold back the rebirth of the space empires from the ashes of the first war against the Shakturi while establishing themselves as the new power in the galaxy. It is up to the player to choose a side.

New gameplay includes the ability to play as a pirate faction or a pre-hyperspace planetary empire, expanded ground combat, with a full new ground combat tech tree, a ground combat resolution screen and multiple different troop types as well as ship and base boarding and capture. The expanded tech tree also includes Gravitic Weapons and Tractor Beams as well as additional planetary facilities that allow you more customization on character recruitment.

Distant Worlds: Shadows also includes an updated and improved graphical engine, a much enhanced AI and comprehensive difficulty settings that will be challenging even for the veterans of the series and as usual many new modding possibilities.

Get more information on Distant Worlds: Shadows from its official product page.

Please note: Distant Worlds – Shadows REQUIRES ownership of Distant Worlds, Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi and Distant Worlds: Legends.
robske

RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now!

Post by robske »

It seems it is up and running! Kudos!

Attachments
distantwo..shadows.jpg
distantwo..shadows.jpg (345.67 KiB) Viewed 498 times
Scifi 4X game geek...

The universe has its mysteries which can only be solved through the curiousity of intelligent life...

My lesson about life:
Keep the past in mind, act in the present, look to the future.
Beanui

Post by Beanui »

From what i have played so far im impressed, really great expansion that makes distant world a even better and more fun game than it already was. [;)]
sventhebold

Post by sventhebold »

Thank you all for this great game!
ssgt usaf 84-91 f-15a/c ops puke 525 tfs & 7th tfs
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: Beanui

From what i have played so far im impressed, really great expansion that makes distant world a even better and more fun game than it already was. [;)]

Bloody well needs to be for that price. A third more expensive than 'Lost Battles' even AFTER the 'discount'? Thanks for the 'added bonus', guys. Jeez... [:-]
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Hertston,

Lost Battle is primarily a scenario-based expansion. While Lost Battles also had supporting development work, Shadows is a full fledged overhaul of the game engine, brand new gameplay and playstyles, new features, more than a year in development "expansion". I think it's remarkable that it's not more expensive, actually. It took almost twice as much work as Return of the Shakturi or Legends. Frankly getting pretty tired of the price complaints when you can get this much game for $19.99.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
robc04_1

Post by robc04_1 »

Erik, I think most people from what I have seen think the expansion is reasonably priced, along with the promo pricing on the series. I think the prices are reasonable too.
Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Frankly getting pretty tired of the price complaints when you can get this much game for $19.99.

Frankly having now sunk the full prices into both games and all their expansions, I don't really care. The promo pricing is a welcome, if long overdue, move, though.

Actually, being a Brit it cost me $25 after tax.
rankalee

Post by rankalee »

I think there should always be a bundle price, not just for six weeks. But very decently priced..
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Hertston,

I've heard all sides of the pricing debate, I'm just tired of it. I understand that any price above $0 will likely be wrong for someone. I appreciate your support and understand that you feel we should have priced it lower. After the amount of work we've put into Shadows your comment just rubbed me the wrong way. Apologies if I caused offense.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: rankalee
I think there should always be a bundle price, not just for six weeks. But very decently priced..

There has been actually. We've always had a 20% off bundle if you purchase the series at once, the promotion bundle is just much better.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
danith222

Post by danith222 »

*Opens Transmission*

Erik,

I will be frank...NO WAIT...Bob...nono...Lets go with The Great Emperor Darkfire the 3rd...cuz I had to vaporize three of my siblings to get the position, but I digress...I happen to work for a retail video game store called Ga chhhzzzzzzzeetts *Transmission jammed by corporate entities* zzzzzztch op. Hmmm that was odd...anyways...I can say that being on the sales end of this industry and knowing what time, effort and oh lets just say it MONEY goes into creating a game, any game, it is a crime that anyone complains about the price for Distant Worlds. At Ga Chzzzzzzzt *Transmission Jammed by corporate entities* zzzzzzzcht op...*Kicks console* Son of a...anyways I often inform people that come in looking for Stardive that they would be doing themselves a disservice if they did not also try Distant Worlds.

If these people who complain were in my Empire they would be drawn...quartered and submitted to subsection vaporization. To many people see the end price without the knowledge of what it took to make and create it...and the saddest part is that usually, if those same people made something as Uber sauce *Licks lips* as Distant Worlds they would likely be the first ones to suggest selling it for more...*Attendant whispers in ear.* Yes...mhhhm...What do you mean I should not say Uber Sauce? Well I happen to like uber sauce so that is why I said Uber sauce...because it's...Would you go and...polish something...*Waves off attendant and leans close to the monitor narrowing eyes* Now Erik let me make this clear...you will continue to create The Uber *Looks over at attendant* AWESOME SAUCE that is Distant Worlds and those who are worthy of it shall buy it and eat their fill. You are not permitted to let any stand in the way of your ideals or pricing plan *Clenches fist*...Now go! CREATE! *Closes Transmission*
and the light sinnith in the darkness and the darkness could not comprehend it.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

....Apologies if I caused offense.

No need to apologize Erik. Seems like every single new release now has multiple threads with people whining about the price. I'd be sick of it too if I were in your shoes.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
demiller

Post by demiller »

Very impressed so far! I'm not that deep into it, but I definitely can tell the difference in the graphic engine. I know what I'll be spending the holiday weekend playing.

Great job guys, and thanks for the price break as well! I sent a friend a $50 gift card yesterday so he could buy RotS and Legends, and now he's able to pay for most of Shadows with it, too.
AKA panzerde
Velihopea

Post by Velihopea »

ORIGINAL: demiller
Very impressed so far! I'm not that deep into it, but I definitely can tell the difference in the graphic engine.
Would you like to be more specific? I'm not that much into pirates, so user experiences on this matter would be very interesting to hear.

Got a free weekend(of family) coming and I'm undecided if I should buy Shadows or play openXcom.

Hertston

Post by Hertston »

After the amount of work we've put into Shadows your comment just rubbed me the wrong way. Apologies if I caused offense.

Likewise for the response. A little over-sensitive after a long day, I'm afraid. [:(]
tylertoo

Post by tylertoo »

ORIGINAL: elmo3

....Apologies if I caused offense.

No need to apologize Erik. Seems like every single new release now has multiple threads with people whining about the price. I'd be sick of it too if I were in your shoes.

Agreed, Erik's reaction is understandable; I'm sure the pricing thing is tiring, particularly on a stressful launch day. I was hoping the expansion would be discounted to $25 from $30, so its a pleasant surprise to find it at $20. With all the new content, that's a bargain.
Igard

Post by Igard »

Worth every penny IMHO.

Played a few hours as a pirate. So far loving it! I thought I played this game to be emperor of the universe, who knew it would be so much fun just doing raids and searching for good smuggling missions!

Absolutely superb!

Thank you Matrix, Erik and not least of all Elliot! [:)]
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

ORIGINAL: Velihopea
ORIGINAL: demiller
Very impressed so far! I'm not that deep into it, but I definitely can tell the difference in the graphic engine.
Would you like to be more specific? I'm not that much into pirates, so user experiences on this matter would be very interesting to hear.

Got a free weekend(of family) coming and I'm undecided if I should buy Shadows or play openXcom.
I am not into pirates either, but I love fighting them [:D]

There are more than pirates in this expansion. Ground combat is not bad, garrisoning troops is a blessing, performance is better, and the better resource overview (messages of shortages and friends) helps in keeping tabs on things.
Osito

Post by Osito »

ORIGINAL: Igard

Worth every penny IMHO.

Thank you Matrix, Erik and not least of all Elliot! [:)]

I concur.

I'm loving the pre-warp start. Somehow makes it feel like your empire is really your own creation. I also love the fact that bottom left window is now expandable - it's actually useful to me now!
Osito

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”