Breakdown of Officer's Cards

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Hollywood7

Breakdown of Officer's Cards

Post by Hollywood7 »

Can someone post a chart/breakdown of the Cards set with some of the specifics associated with each card? Things like % applied offense/defensive / experience points gained etc. The generic nature of the text is not enough, we need details to play this game.

Thanks.

PS - obviously if already posted somewhere please provide the link as I did not find it on my own. Thks.
Hollywood7

RE: Breakdown of Officer's Cards

Post by Hollywood7 »

Umm I'm going to guess by the 58 views and no replies that people have an interest in this topic, but no one has any data to share regarding the cards.

How about we take a more piecemeal approach rather than a full-scale request: does anyone have ANY specific info regarding ANY of the cards to be played? Maybe in this way we can build a data sheet on them one card at a time.

Thanks to all and I know my fellow Lack of Card Knowledge sufferers will appreciate any info you can provide.

Best,
Hollywood

I'll start based on a Webizen post I saw from last release:
„X An "Operational Planning" card that gives all units attached to HQs in the chain of command of the HQ playing the card a bonus of 0-20% offensively/defensively based on level of the officer.
„X An "Organise Wargames" card that gives all units attached to HQs in the chain of command of the HQ playing the card an experience point boost of 20-100 experience points based on the level of the leader in question.
„X An "Recon Operations" card that gives all units attached to HQs in the chain of command of the HQ playing the card a multiplication of their recon points at their present location.
Josh

Post by Josh »

that people have an interest in this topic, but no one has any data to share regarding the cards

Exactly. You're asking a good question but I think no one knows the answer [&:] Never thought about a datasheet to be honest, haven't got a clue as to how many cards there actually are. I see one when I got one that's all.
Maybe Vic has a comprehensive datasheet covering all the cards?
ghoward

Post by ghoward »

Don't all the descriptions have to exist somewhere in the event code? I haven't played with the editor enough to be sure, but if Webizen or Lancer wrote descriptions for the cards they have developed, the text must be somewhere.
Hollywood7

Post by Hollywood7 »

Well, while we are it -I'd also post your thoughts on Officer Cards here. I think they are a very interesting component POTENTIALLY for the game, but I see them as mis-/under-utilized because a) they arrive too late in a game (by my experience the games don't last long enough for them to be used - and I'm talking about 1v1 multiplayer which normally take 10-15 turns to decide before one side resigns) and b) when they DO actually arrive the actual chance that you will be able to USE them is slim.

So a) I'd have them arrive MUCH more quickly either through reduced requirement parameters to attain OR b) as a result of particular player ACTION.

As I see it they are RANDOMLY assigned to you, why else would I get a BOMBARD card when I have no artillery in that set of HQ units or a BLITZ card when I have no armor with that commander. These cards will likely NEVER go used because they just don't make sense with that Officer and Unit composition/unit mission.

So, I would suggest Vic assign these cards based on particular ACTIONS a player takes with the Officer:
1) You successfully use artillery then you will receive or are in line to receive a BOMBARD card for future use
2) You win an engagement using ARMOR then you receive a BLITZ card for future use
3) A HOLD card for successfully fighting off an attack on a CITY or Fortification etc.

Some sample logic:
If I use arty, then the next card I will receive will be a BOMBARD card. If I use arty and I use armor successfully, then 50/50 Bombard or Blitz. Each successful event adds to the chance table for that type of card being assigned.

If that is too hard to implement, then lets just use unit composition in the HQ OOB:
If you have ARMOR then you might get a BLITZ card, Arty = BOMBARD, MGs/AT Guns = HOLD, etc., Guerrillas = PILLAGE.

Let's just have them make some sense so we can in turn use them. For such a major addition to the game, Officer cards are just not setup for good usage and consequently I see all the development effort mostly gone to waste.

Hollywood7

Post by Hollywood7 »

Really?! No one has ANY idea how Officer cards work? Come on people. Someone MUST know. We'll even settle for source code we can re-format...
Josh

Post by Josh »

Oh in my games against the AI they arrive plenty on time, then again these games last long, I mean looong. I have a hard slog going on right now against multiple AI's...it's touch and go to be honest, one mistake and I'm a goner.
I have been thinking exactly the same thing concerning Action Cards, make them more Role Playing Game like, then again what I do now is transfer a certain officer with the Bombard card to an Artillery unit... and so on. Put the right officer in the right place. 
Still it would be nice to see how many cards there really are. Hey maybe it's even in a readme.file somewhere but I rarely read those [:D]
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: Hollywood

Really?! No one has ANY idea how Officer cards work? Come on people. Someone MUST know. We'll even settle for source code we can re-format...

Someone once told me if you really want something done, you´ve got to do it yourself :)

So i guess that means, go into the code and read it and explain it. :)
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Hollywood7

Post by Hollywood7 »

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

Someone once told me if you really want something done, you´ve got to do it yourself :)

So i guess that means, go into the code and read it and explain it. :)

Fair enough. Would you mind pointing me to the thread that shows me how to access the code?
Hollywood7

Post by Hollywood7 »

While we look for the code, I did use a Charge card in my current game.

Here's how it worked:
- after selecting the Charge card from my Officer, ATG popped up a selection screen to include a local area map with the Officer at center and it asked me to select a single unit from those which were highlighted.
- I chose one and ATG gave that one unit a +43% attack value for the remainder of the turn (represented by a red box +43% in the unit icon). I used that unit twice on the attack in that turn.
- My officer made it thru unscathed.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Oh and while were at it, I just got this "Pillage" card which gets the Officer a supply boost when pillaging a nearby friendly city. Cool I thought, as I was a little short on supply, played the Pillage card, selected city and received 1300 supply. Only to find out that the friendly city (which was producing PP's for me) got ... pillaged. LOL. It lost 3/4 of its integrity, reducing the PP production from 8 to 3... [:D]
Hollywood7

Post by Hollywood7 »

ORIGINAL: Josh

Oh and while were at it, I just got this "Pillage" card which gets the Officer a supply boost when pillaging a nearby friendly city. Cool I thought, as I was a little short on supply, played the Pillage card, selected city and received 1300 supply. Only to find out that the friendly city (which was producing PP's for me) got ... pillaged. LOL. It lost 3/4 of its integrity, reducing the PP production from 8 to 3... [:D]

Josh, that's good intel. We will all use "caution" when playing the Pillage card now.

Keep 'em coming, as I'm on turn 17 of a 1v1 and have only had opportunity to play the one Charge card so far. While I've got leveled officers all over the map, they just aren't receiving cards which is a bummer.
Hollywood7

Post by Hollywood7 »

Opposite the Charge card, I used the Hold card and received a one-turn (the following opposing turn) +22% on defense for a single infantry unit.

Additionally, I used a Fortify card which allowed me to build a field fort (which I imagine is the weakest of all the fortifications available) at no additional cost.
jnpoint

Post by jnpoint »

It's strange, but I never get any cards. The AI does, but I don't. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
So I read with interest, but I know nothing :)
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: jnpoint

It's strange, but I never get any cards. The AI does, but I don't. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

The higher the Exp of the Officer the more cards he gets, each level gets him another card or feat. So maybe your officers are still at lvl 1?
Hollywood7

Post by Hollywood7 »

JN - Josh points out an important component which is you have to make sure you are getting your officers IN the action and gaining experience points. If you click on your officer, it will give you a new screen with info such as cards/feats AND experience points necessary to get to the next level (which brings opportunity to get a card and/or a new feat).

You get experience in a couple of ways: having your officer's combat units participating in combat (go figure) and playing cards. So make sure your officer is near the front lines in range of commanding his troops and you will rack up the experience and the cards that come with it.

I actually had an officer break a leg while playing a card and he was out of command for the remainder of the game (never recovered).
ORIGINAL: Josh

The higher the Exp of the Officer the more cards he gets, each level gets him another card or feat. So maybe your officers are still at lvl 1?
jnpoint

Post by jnpoint »

JN - Josh points out an important component which is you have to make sure you are getting your officers IN the action and gaining experience points. If you click on your officer, it will give you a new screen with info such as cards/feats AND experience points necessary to get to the next level (which brings opportunity to get a card and/or a new feat).

You get experience in a couple of ways: having your officer's combat units participating in combat (go figure) and playing cards. So make sure your officer is near the front lines in range of commanding his troops and you will rack up the experience and the cards that come with it.

I actually had an officer break a leg while playing a card and he was out of command for the remainder of the game (never recovered).

Thanks for the advice. I'll try - I had always put my officers far away from the front, so they should not be killed in action.
Hollywood7

Post by Hollywood7 »

Thanks for the advice. I'll try - I had always put my officers far away from the front, so they should not be killed in action.

In addition to getting experience points for being near the action of his units, an Officer, more importantly, will apply his Morale and Combat bonuses to his units if close enough. If you have your guy way back, your units do NOT get those bonuses and they are difference makers.

Get your guy up close to the action within 4-5 hexes so his full bonus is applied - that's what you are paying him for :)
Hollywood7

Post by Hollywood7 »

In midst of a 20 turn 1v1 game which we've had going since mid-June. Medium sized map. I've only had the opportunity to play ONE card - a HOLD card at which point immediately upon playing it, my officer breaks his leg (around turn 10) and has not returned. If I had access to the code, I'd change it so a) he doesn't break his leg until he actually sees combat (it's a defensive card with no guarantee the Hold will see action the next turn) and b) he comes back within 10 months.

I love ATG and using the officers for their Combat and Morale bonuses, but it would just be great to see this Card feature be usable and everyone was getting more playability out of the time spent to add it to the game.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I don´t know how to break this to you gently, but you do have access to the code. So does everybody else.

One of the Events coded has to due with injuries of officers, and everyone has access to the editor...
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”