Armageddon invasion starts in 2014

Games Workshop’s “Battle for Armageddon” setting in a series of amazing multiplatform, turn-based, hex-based games. Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon will make full use of Slitherine's expertise in creating compelling and challenging strategy gaming experiences. The initial game is set during the Second War of Armageddon and players will lead the Imperial forces of the Armageddon Steel Legion and Space Marines®from the Ultramarines, Blood Angels and Salamanders Chapters against Ghazghkull Thraka’s massive Ork Waaagh! invasion through over 30 scenarios, on the hostile terrain of the planet and its gigantic Hive Cities.
Philkian

Armageddon invasion starts in 2014

Post by Philkian »

[center]Image
[/center]
Slitherine and Games Workshop® are pleased to announce Warhammer®40,000®: Armageddon™.

Having announced an exciting partnership with Games Workshop a few weeks ago, Slitherine are delighted to release further details. Slitherine have acquired the exclusive rights to Games Workshop’s “Battle for Armageddon” setting in order to create a series of amazing multiplatform, turn-based, hex-based games. Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon will make full use of Slitherine's expertise in creating compelling and challenging strategy gaming experiences. The initial game is set during the Second War of Armageddon and players will lead the Imperial forces of the Armageddon Steel Legion and Space Marines®from the Ultramarines, Blood Angels and Salamanders Chapters against Ghazghkull Thraka’s massive Ork Waaagh! invasion through over 30 scenarios, on the hostile terrain of the planet and its gigantic Hive Cities.

"It is very exciting to see a game like this come alive - I just can't wait to play it!", said Iain McNeil, Development Director of the Slitherine Group. "It's been almost 15 years since a turn-based strategy game set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe has been released and we think it is now time to deliver that experience to all fans around the world".

“The Battle for Armageddon is a classic event in the lore of the Warhammer 40,000 universe, having been detailed in games, models and novels over the past 20 years.” said Jon Gillard, Head of Licensing at Games Workshop. “Slitherine's masterful use of their classic digital wargame style applied to this seminal setting will delight fans of both.”

The game is currently in development for PC and iOS and will release in the first quarter of 2014.

Main features of the game include:

The game portrays the Second War for Armageddon™ in great detail, from the initial Ork landings to the final liberation of the planet;
It contains a large branching campaign with 30 major scenarios, plus additional 5 tutorial scenarios that explore the story in detail;
A complex plot, which can develop during a mission, right in the middle of battle, creating an engaging story line with unexpected twists;
Players lead Imperial troops of the Armageddon™ Steel Legion, with supporting assets from a number of Space Marine chapters against the ferocious Orks;
Fight alongside Commissar Yarrik and Commander Dante against the cunning Ork Warboss Ghazghkull Thraka;
Carry over battle-hardened veterans from scenario to scenario, using their experience and upgrading their equipment;
Detailed combat model with terrain, weather and morale effects;
Extensive modding options delivered through a powerful and easy-to-use game editor.

Some numbers:

Over 35 scenarios;
Over 100 unit types, with unique roles, stats and special abilities;
20 different units stats;
A separate set of maps are designed and balanced specifically for multiplayer via Slitherine's PBEM++ system.

nanorider426

RE: Armageddon invasion starts in 2014

Post by nanorider426 »

YES! Since Final Liberation there has been no games worth mentioning. It's finally here.....uhm next year. ;-)
Talon_XBMCX

Post by Talon_XBMCX »

Soooo long to wait .... is it almost 2014 yet?
Mistura

Post by Mistura »

Rats!! Christmas is coming in 2014. Me and my friends are looking forward to this game. Can't wait!! Wake me when it's here. [>:]
Your views on life change forever when reality backhands you in the face.
sshnuke

Post by sshnuke »

Love WH40K very much
Very glad to see this game incoming
Hope it will be as delicious as Final Liberation
Kilovski

Post by Kilovski »

Is there going to be a Close Combat element to this game? Top down tile equates to a map kind of thing? CC would be a perfect fit and integration for this game? Can anyone in Matrix shed any more light on this
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Looks like this will be a Slitherine game, so I'm a little concerned that it might be powered by their Commander engine. Hope I'm wrong, and it's something new.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Looks like this will be a Slitherine game, so I'm a little concerned that it might be powered by their Commander engine. Hope I'm wrong, and it's something new.

It doesn't include "Commander" in the title so hopefully that's a good sign.

Looking forward to what comes out. [:)]
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

What scale is this laid out at?  I'm getting the impressing it may play like Epic.

Ed-
DBeves

Post by DBeves »

So - is this a tactical man to man game or something else ?
wodin

Post by wodin »

breaking my promise to stay away from the forum..but I to really would love to know the scale of this game..is it based on the Panzer Corps or Battle Academy game engines?

OK logging out now;)
Isimiel

Post by Isimiel »

And there gos my free time.....[:)]
satisfaction

Post by satisfaction »

Oh man I've got such high hopes for this. WH40K is a turn based strategy game at heart, really hope this comes out right. Always thought the Slitherine Rome games would be a very nice way to play 40K. Never felt right in realtime, twitch does not equal strategy. Need to be able to play while drinking beer in the evenings.
"Losers always whine about trying their best, winners go home and "enjoy" the prom queen."

Sean Connery, The Rock
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

If we're supposed to be playing the Steel Legion, can I suggest enclosing the Basilisk cab? That's official canon(huhuh), since Armageddon is so polluted that open vehicles are a big bad no-no...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Ursa MAior

Post by Ursa MAior »

Cant wait to see.
Art by the amazing Dixie
Fintilgin

Post by Fintilgin »

ORIGINAL: wodin

breaking my promise to stay away from the forum..but I to really would love to know the scale of this game..is it based on the Panzer Corps or Battle Academy game engines?

OK logging out now;)

It sounds to me like it's going to be Panzer Corps with a 40k skin, but we'll see!
NeverMan

Post by NeverMan »

OMG, how did you guys manage to get the rights? Amazing news!
Ursa MAior

Post by Ursa MAior »

Thank God it will be PanzerCorps based!
Art by the amazing Dixie
SRNae

Post by SRNae »

I am a huge fan of Warhammer. Hopefully they will ship with most if not all the playable races.

Is this going to be late 2014? or early?

Edit: Looks like just marines and orks? hm.

Return to “Warhammer® 40,000® Armageddon™”