How to spend AP's As Axis

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Titan

How to spend AP's As Axis

Post by Titan »

My experience to date is a PBEM as Soviet, never seem to have enough AP's which is good, however 10 turns into a campaign as axis and ive got 391 AP's to burn and other than change generals don't know how to spend them since I cant build new units what else do I do?
terje439

RE: How to spend AP's As Axis

Post by terje439 »

Reassign SUs
Reassign Divisions
Build Forts

That is usually what I use them for.

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
morvael

Post by morvael »

Manually upgrade planes?
Reassign dismissed generals?
Naughteous Maximus

Post by Naughteous Maximus »

I usually replace commander's with low morale factors for higher morale. It helps somewhat when the blizzard hits, your units will retreat rather than shatter.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Lots of AA units attached to Axis cities with ~50 AP cost to remove - just in case you'd like to have them at the front ......
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Arstavidios

Post by Arstavidios »

HQ build up use some APs.
You tend to use some as the Germans in 1941.

you have a lot of support unit to distribute among corps. many corps start without support units while others are crowded. you also want to channel support units to some critical sectors, and create some powerful assault corps.
for exemple I. corps to assault Leningrad. you may want to attach sappers assault guns and AA battalions to some divisions.

Some heavy artillery units to move around too.

You may want to reassign some divisions and corps between armies. quite a lot of things you can do down south with all your minor allies. You have several romanian armies and a romanian army group you can use

Changing leaders will also take quite a few APs. a lot of your best leaders start without command. There's room for much improvement in your command structure.

fortified zones. I tend to build a lot when I play as the Axis.
I build one fortified in each city I have to garrison. It counts in the garrison requirements.

I also build a few of them later on in places where my units have built fortifications during the advance so that they don't decay. might be useful in some places when winter comes.

If you still have some APs left you may manually upgrade some air units.
Your minor allies use plenty of older planes which it may be interesting to upgrade. You may also want to shift some of your dive bombers into something else as you don't get a lot of JU 87.

So quite a few things to do with your APs.
Balou

Post by Balou »

ORIGINAL: Arstavidios

you have a lot of support unit to distribute among corps. many corps start without support units while others are crowded. you also want to channel support units to some critical sectors, and create some powerful assault corps.
for exemple I. corps to assault Leningrad. you may want to attach sappers assault guns and AA battalions to some divisions.

This is where you may rather SAVE admin points by using automated transfer (except for pioneers), which has been explained in detail previously.
“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher
Arstavidios

Post by Arstavidios »

yes automated transfer may help. You can save some AP this way.
Von Weber

Post by Von Weber »

Don't spend them they're not worth it[:D]
WPO/Field of Glory-2/TOAW
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Uhh.. there are always serious mis-assignments at the start of scenarios. Seems one HQ or another has them all and auto-reassignment takes forever.

One hopes that Axis support units make a difference, but I can't prove it. Nice to have hvy arty where its needed most and some pioneers everywhere. Distribution of the many other types of SUs should be to need and purpose. Front lines, not reserves. One sees some of the support units called in the battle reports.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”