having torpedo problems?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jcjordan

having torpedo problems?

Post by jcjordan »

If your having torpedo problems

Torpedo found
wdolson

RE: having torpedo problems?

Post by wdolson »

Amazing condition for its age.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

When this thread was first posted, it was about otrpedo problems. I really wanted to talk about mine. It just kinda hangs there, limp like. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't think thread starters should be allowed to change the subject like that. Here's the original subject posting: Subscription: having otrpedo problems? - by jcjordan | War in the Pacific

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

When this thread was first posted, it was about otrpedo problems. I really wanted to talk about mine. It just kinda hangs there, limp like. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't think thread starters should be allowed to change the subject like that. Here's the original subject posting: Subscription: having otrpedo problems? - by jcjordan | War in the Pacific
warspite1

I quite agree. I was all ready to make a lengthy post about my particular otrpedo problems, only to find the thread subject had been completely changed [&:]

Sadly I have nothing to say on torpedo problems and so will leave my post for another time.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I was initially going to comment too, but being mildly dyslexic, I have sympathy for mixed up letters.

I don't have otrpedo problems anyway, so there isn't much to say about it.

Bill
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

For those that have otrpedo problems, I'm sorry but feel free to discuss them here as well that way it's not a disregard topic. Sometimes my fingers get out of typing order & I discover it after posting [:'(]
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Otrpedo just sounds like something that my doctor has to put a finger up my butt to check out....I don't really want to think about it.

As for the way cool torpedo find..Just another reason to like dolphins.[;)]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Sredni

Post by Sredni »

That's really neat. I wonder if the dolphins were able to "see" it through the mud with their echolocation or if it was exposed.
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

the article says it had a range of 400 yards [&:] lol, serious? Would that be 4000 yards?
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I don't think that was a typo. We're talking about a torpedo from 1870. Almost 70 years older than what was used in WW II.

Bill
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I don't think that was a typo. We're talking about a torpedo from 1870. Almost 70 years older than what was used in WW II.

Bill

but 400 yards? Who would try to get 400 yards close to the enemy, I wouldn't even want to try that in 1870. What was the gun fighting distance for ships of that time?
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

1/2 to 1 mile was not uncommon

http://unionnavy.org/page17.html

Some of the rifled barrels had better range, but I believe most were smooth bore at that time. Naval gunnery was also awful at any range. At the Battle of Manilla in the Spanish-American War the USN had the Spanish at a huge disadvantage, but still only managed a hit rate less than 1% (if I'm remembering correctly). After that the USN drilled gunnery a lot, but it didn't improve all that dramatically until the killer ap of radar came along.

Bill
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Actually 400 yards was considered quite revolutionary back then. Remember ships of the line steamed at only about 14 to 18 knots. Gun fire was expect to be exchanged at about 1000 yards. This was a CIWDS or close in weapons defense system of its day!
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

Trained mine sweeping dolphins you'll hear about- everyone loves dolphins. But I want to see photos of the sharks with "friggen lazerbeams"
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

The Howell was powered by a flywheel, run up to a few tens of thousands of RPM, so I doubt it was any kind of "long lance".

Ed-
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I think they got the provenance wrong. Looks like it came from Captain Nemo's Nautilus.

Attachments
nautilus.jpg
nautilus.jpg (96.64 KiB) Viewed 122 times

Amoral

Post by Amoral »

Flywheel powered! Awesome.

You'd think that if the flywheel could push it 400 yards at 25kts that it could have been geared to go 2000 yards at 20 knots. Maybe it was just deemed too inaccurate at such ranges.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Torpedo boats were a massive threat. They were small, fast,cheap, hard to hit and totally expendable. Considering how primative the fire control systems were , imagine 2 dozen little boats carrying these making a high speed run at your ACR or BB! And the Maxim machine gun is not in general use. You might have a Colt "potato digger", or maybe a gatling gun or two. Try laying a big gun over open sights on one. Not good. [:(]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Torpedo boats were a massive threat. They were small, fast,cheap, hard to hit and totally expendable. Considering how primative the fire control systems were , imagine 2 dozen little boats carrying these making a high speed run at your ACR or BB! And the Maxim machine gun is not in general use. You might have a Colt "potato digger", or maybe a gatling gun or two. Try laying a big gun over open sights on one. Not good. [:(]

That's the origin of destroyers. Torpedo Boat Destroyers.
The Moose
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

That's the origin of destroyers. Torpedo Boat Destroyers.

Indeed. If you can't "gun em" , ram them . Just ask PT-109. [:D] Eventually they replaced Torpedo boats, till MTB's (smaller and even cheaper than torpedo boats) came out. And of course the "quick-firing gun" and proliferation of machine guns changed things. [:)]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”