Hybrid bases

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

jamthree

Hybrid bases

Post by jamthree »

So I made a mining station with some research labs for gas giants that have research bonuses and found out that a mining station / research base does not give the research bonus if you use the mining base / gas mining base type, works with a starbase.

And so I started wondering if anything else about hybrid bases didn't work, does anyone know of any other combination that doesn't work if you choose the wrong type? Anyone ever verified that indeed freighters are picking up goods / dropping off passengers from their resort base / mining station if its typed as a resort base or mining station?

I thought about it for awhile and thought maybe the no bonus thing for mining/research hybrids (typed as mining station) was because they are state built but privately owned? (Also that means you don't pay maintenance on them right?)

Anyways was just wondering if there is some underlying principle here since there are alot of possible combinations and types and prior to that issue thought the types didn't matter only the components.

Also just a side question but do resort / research bases need cargo bays?

Thanks.
feelotraveller

RE: Hybrid bases

Post by feelotraveller »

My experience is that to get the research bonuses from a location you need a research base (with at least one of the appropriate labs on board).  Making a research base with gas extractors (and cargo bays and docking bays) should work in your case.

Freighters will collect from any base conducting mining.

Any base that you want to be able to refuel needs at least one cargo bay!

hope that helps [:)]

jamthree

Post by jamthree »

I did test a "Starbase" type with labs and extractors/cargo/docks and I did get the bonus and it at least appeared that frieghters were picking stuff up from it.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: jamthree

So I made a mining station with some research labs for gas giants that have research bonuses and found out that a mining station / research base does not give the research bonus if you use the mining base / gas mining base type, works with a starbase.

And so I started wondering if anything else about hybrid bases didn't work, does anyone know of any other combination that doesn't work if you choose the wrong type? Anyone ever verified that indeed freighters are picking up goods / dropping off passengers from their resort base / mining station if its typed as a resort base or mining station?

I thought about it for awhile and thought maybe the no bonus thing for mining/research hybrids (typed as mining station) was because they are state built but privately owned? (Also that means you don't pay maintenance on them right?)

Anyways was just wondering if there is some underlying principle here since there are alot of possible combinations and types and prior to that issue thought the types didn't matter only the components.

Also just a side question but do resort / research bases need cargo bays?

Thanks.

Novel idea, like that. I have always gone for the mining base / fortress approach with my mining stations, 5-10 of those in a system can really help with defense, never thought of fitting them with research labs. I do tend to have a starbase design with all three labs on (I do not use labs at SP's) just in case I get a scientist who can improve in all three areas, I tend to build one as soon as tech and cash allows it, then later on up the tech tree build the WEH starbase at really good research locations, the WEH starbases are also useful when you have a scientist with anti social skills, like foreign spy and demoralizing (the one that reduces skills for other characters at the same location) you can then send them off to some dark corner of the universe in solitary confinement for there treachery [:D]

Darkspire
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

ORIGINAL: jamthree

I did test a "Starbase" type with labs and extractors/cargo/docks and I did get the bonus and it at least appeared that frieghters were picking stuff up from it.

Okay. Thought I tested it on all sorts of bases and only research bases got the bonus, so I've either misremembered or something has changed. But mining bases have definitely never got the bonus when they have labs. (And yes the private sector pays the maintenance for mining bases, and as far as I've been able to tell they actual buy the base off you -refund of the purchase price - shortly after they are built. Seems that this last will change with Shadows and the private sector will pay the upfront cost of building mining bases. [:)]) I would think you are right and it is the private/state distinction which matters.

You should not have any problems - beyond the usual that is - getting resources collected once they are mined from state bases. Putting in a commerce centre has been recommended in the past to attract freighters but I'm not sure this makes any real difference. Doesn't hurt to have one anyway on the off chance of attracting some foreign trade.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”