Reserve mode? I don't understand and I finally finished reading the manual

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

heyhellowhatsnew

Reserve mode? I don't understand and I finally finished reading the manual

Post by heyhellowhatsnew »

Yes I have read the whole manual. All of it. But one thing I don't get is reserve mode. Can someone explain it to me and why I would put units in reserve mode and what the heck it is? I am dumb I am sorry. You may need to explain it to me like an 8 year old. Thanks :)
OldBlackNerd.com Grognard Gaming, Gaming videos and Current Events
cpt flam

RE: Reserve mode? I don't understand and I finally finished reading the manual

Post by cpt flam »

time to try an explanation
in offense you are limited to 3 units by hex, so 2 hexes will give you six units say strength for total 80 points
if you must attack a stack with 45 defense, without reserve you will hope for a leader win or fail for defender
if you have reserve nearby they can intervene
other case in defense, each reserve activation will increase your ability to hold the ground
some care must be taken about moral as if the defender retreat and reserve as poor moral, it will rout and can affect your def line
hope this will help you a bit
Arstavidios

Post by Arstavidios »

Units put in reserve mode can be committed to combats occurring nearby.
They need to pass a check under their leader's initiative and have enough movement points to get there.

Each time there is a combat all units in reserve modes are checked and there's is a chance they'll come. This can be in addition to normal stacking limits and can male a big difference. So for example you can have three units defending a hex under attack and two more may turn up to help the defense due to successful activations.

Reserve activation is random, so it may work, or not, and you do not know before hand if reserves will show up or not. The Germans have some high initiative leaders which helps a lots for activation rolls. The soviets leaders are less good but you can put more units in reserve mode.

Reserves are checked when defending but also when attacking. So you can get some extra units coming to help your attacks, if you're lucky. This can help break strong defensive positions

Mobile units are good as they have a lot of movement points and they can cover a wide front

heyhellowhatsnew

Oh okay. I think I understand it. Thanks :D

Sorry for such a dumb question
Arstavidios

Post by Arstavidios »

The only dumb questions are the ones that are not asked
heyhellowhatsnew

When would I want to use this? I'm sorry.. just trying to figure when to activate it and when not to
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

Try reading this thread: tm.asp?m=3297174

It's detailed ninja stuff but you may find some nuggets that answer your questions.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: heyhellowhatsnew

When would I want to use this? I'm sorry.. just trying to figure when to activate it and when not to
I'll post the link to a collection of more than 70(!!!) FAQs and past threads a fellow gamer posted once as .txt file; I converted it into a .pdf.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/562 ... 0POSTS.pdf

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Awesome, Oberst. Thanks.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”