AI and Scenario Design - Armoured Units

Post new maps, scenarios, estabs and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

Werezak

AI and Scenario Design - Armoured Units

Post by Werezak »

I've noticed that the AI doesn't handle armoured line units at the division level very well, in that it tends to throw them right into close combat with infantry units, where they take heavy losses to rpgs or bazookas. However the AI fares much better with it's armoured line units are placed at the regiment level alongside infantry battalions.

For example, while playing around with my "Onhaye" sample scenario for the 1950 mod, the best setup that I have found for the Soviet division is to attach the Independent Tank Regiment (normally at the division level on paper) to a Strelkovaya Regiment like so:

Code: Select all

Strelk Div HQ
     Strelk Regt HQ
 		1 Strelk Bn ...
 		2 Strelk Bn ...
 		3 Strelk Bn ...
 		Independent Tank Regt
 			1 Coy
 			2 Coy
 			(etc)
                         (Ind Tank Regt Base?)
 		(... other regiment units)
 		Strelk Regt Base

What I'm not sure about is what to do with the Independent Tank Regt Base. Including it at a "battalion" level seems to make it get a lot closer to the front than it should. (Note that the force size for the Independent Tank Regt is still "brigade/regiment," it is just being placed under the command of a Strelk Regiment as if it was a battalion.) I tried placing the base alongside the Strelk Regt Base, but then it ends up having no drawing units.

Anyways I will probably keep experimenting (Started a new job recently, so I won't be able to work on my mod as much, but hopefully people will enjoy the current milestone for now). I'm mainly posting this in the hope that it might help anyone making their own scenarios.
Werezak

RE: AI and Scenario Design - Armoured Units

Post by Werezak »

BTW I've also noticed that not only does the AI handle the armoured units better with the above setup but it also appeared to do a good job of keeping a good mix of armoured and infantry units when assaulting, I was pretty happy to see.

Of course I have only looked at it in one scenario though. I don't know it this will always be the case or even just be the occur more than not, without extensive testing.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”