Few Beginners Question

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Resolute

Few Beginners Question

Post by Resolute »

I am currently playing the 41 campaign on Axis side vs the AI and a few questions came up to which I really can't find an answer to:

- I noticed that the CP value of AGS and AGC have very high negative values. Is that something which has such a minor impact that I should dismiss it or should I move some troops to AGN and possibly attatch some support units directly to those HQs I transfered so I have more freedom?

- When the "First Winter Rule" kicks in, I am really unsure which action I should take. Defend the front with heavy losses or pull most of my troops back and try to regain ground when the storm has passed?

- Is there any way to reduce the time it takes for the AI to move its pieces around? With the battle marker I really don't see the reason to watch each of its moves and combat actions.
Baelfiin

RE: Few Beginners Question

Post by Baelfiin »

Is there any way to reduce the time it takes for the AI to move its pieces around? With the battle marker I really don't see the reason to watch each of its moves and combat actions
under preferences click off show move animation and set move animation speed to zero, that should help I think.
- When the "First Winter Rule" kicks in, I am really unsure which action I should take. Defend the front with heavy losses or pull most of my troops back and try to regain ground when the storm has passed?

Some of the AAR's have some good advice, some good threads in the War Room on this.
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

ORIGINAL: Resolute

- I noticed that the CP value of AGS and AGC have very high negative values. Is that something which has such a minor impact that I should dismiss it or should I move some troops to AGN and possibly attatch some support units directly to those HQs I transfered so I have more freedom?

The army groups help with making the "rolls" in the game (with their ratings). If they are overstacked they are much less effective - the amount overstacked, and the distance modifier, are added to the roll (so if its base roll is 40 and the overstacking is an amount of 20 the roll would be 60).

It is still more important to have good corps commanders (1st in the chain of command):
- If we do not consider penalties for overstacking, a dice of 10 is thrown. If the leaders rating is 7 he has a 60% chance to make the roll - 1 - 6 he makes it, 7 - 10 he doesn't make it

and good army commanders (2nd in the chain of command):
- If we do not consider penalties for range and overstacking, a dice of 20 is thrown. If the leaders rating is 7 he has a 30% chance to make the roll - 1 - 6 he makes it, 7 - 20 he doesn't make it

And then come the army group and OKH commanders

army group commanders (3rd in the chain of command):
- If we do not consider penalties for range and overstacking, a dice of 40 is thrown. If the leaders rating is 7 he has a 15% chance to make the roll - 1 - 6 he makes it, 7 - 40 he doesn't make it

OKH commander (4th in the chain of command)
- If we do not consider penalties for range and overstacking, a dice of 80 is thrown. If the leaders rating is 7 he has a 7.5% chance to make the roll - 1 - 6 he makes it, 7 - 80 he doesn't make it

If the first leader in the chain fails, the next is going to try and make his roll and so on, and so on..

See 11.3.1 in the manual for more details
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
Von Weber

Post by Von Weber »

Thx Cannon!
WPO/Field of Glory-2/TOAW
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Von Weber

Thx Cannon!
I also converted the .txt file one forum member once composed for more than 70 (!!!) threads, tips & tricks into a .pdf that can be d/l here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/562 ... 0POSTS.pdf

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Resolute

Post by Resolute »

Thanks for those replies and especially that pdf is awesome. :)

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”