Lost Battles Released and War in the East Updated!

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Erik Rutins

Lost Battles Released and War in the East Updated!

Post by Erik Rutins »

Matrix Games is proud to announce the release of Lost Battles, the latest expansion for the award-winning World War II strategy mega-game Gary Grigsby's War in the East.

Lost Battles adds more than 10 new scenarios covering some of the most interesting battles on the Eastern Front to the critically-acclaimed wargame.

Choose from short scenarios like Operation Konrad (Germany’s desperate defense of Budapest) and Operation Mars (Soviet offensives Operation Mars and Jupiter) or the longer ones like the Battle for Moscow (Operation Typhoon and the subsequent Soviet winter counter-offensive) and Vistula to Berlin (the final offensives through Poland and the fall of Berlin).

Adding to these are three full Campaigns: Winter 42-43 (the Soviet 42-43 winter counter-offensives including the recapture of Stalingrad), Stalingrad to Berlin Campaign ( the Soviet 42-43 winter counter-offensives which continues until the end of the war) and the 1941-45 Campaign (the standard full campaign with added sudden death victory conditions for both sides).

Concurrent with the new expansion release, the v1.07.08 official update is also now available for Gary Grigsby's War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945. This major update brings significant AI and balance improvements, changes the save game structure to eliminate certain exploits in multiplayer, restores some upgrade paths to address late war issues and includes additional bug fixes and data changes. This update is designed to work together with Lost Battles for the best possible experience, but also brings gameplay improvements to all existing scenarios and campaigns.

Check the dedicated Forum page to view the full change list.

To download the update, players can run “Check for Update” via the game menu or download it directly from the game’s download page here .

Get more information on Gary Grigsby's War in the East: Lost Battles from the official product page.

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Lost Battles is an expansion for War in the East and requires the base game to play.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
swkuh

RE: Lost Battles Released and War in the East Updated!

Post by swkuh »

Thanks for this great extension, have it and enjoying new scenarios.

Hope v2.0 is coming along.
Naughteous Maximus

Post by Naughteous Maximus »

[:@]I see quality has taken a back seat to profit with this latest release. I have only gone through three of the scenarios, "Operation Konrad", "Vistula to Berlin", and "Stalingrad to Berlin" and I have found alot of historical inaccuracies in the games. Thank God, there is an editor. To those people who think myself arrogant and selfish, I probably am, but the "Eastern Front" is my forte. I have studied it for over 35 years and have a nice collection of books and OOB's on the subject. I am a stickler for detail, so when I see work not up to par, I have a tendency to vent. My apologies. Yes, I know its JUST a game.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

What about sharing the information about these inaccuracies ?
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Thank the deities that these guys make a profit... how else could we enjoy this game?

2nd Denniss' remark. Of course, my favorite carp is that camo patterns aren't modelled... (joke)

The new scenarios have me checking for equipment & units variances from the original scenarios (just curiosity.) All this makes for more enjoyable gaming.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

ORIGINAL: rrbill

Thanks for this great extension, have it and enjoying new scenarios.

Hope v2.0 is coming along.

v2.0 won't come along until well after WitW so you'll have plenty of time to enjoy the Lost Battles scenarios.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Naughteous,
ORIGINAL: Naughteous Maximus
[:@]I see quality has taken a back seat to profit with this latest release. I have only gone through three of the scenarios, "Operation Konrad", "Vistula to Berlin", and "Stalingrad to Berlin" and I have found alot of historical inaccuracies in the games. Thank God, there is an editor. To those people who think myself arrogant and selfish, I probably am, but the "Eastern Front" is my forte. I have studied it for over 35 years and have a nice collection of books and OOB's on the subject. I am a stickler for detail, so when I see work not up to par, I have a tendency to vent. My apologies. Yes, I know its JUST a game.

Why not share some specifics? I'm sure the scenario authors would be happy to discuss with you.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Naughteous Maximus

Just a couple of mistakes I've found in just the "Stalingrad to Berlin" Campaign. 1) 6th Panzer and 7th Panzer Divisons should be at full compliment since being refitted in France and should show up on the western edge of map as reinforcements. 2) The II SS Panzer Korps did not come into being until June 1943, just being known as "SS Panzer Korps" before then. 3) The SS divisions, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd should be close to full strength since being refitted in the west.
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

Naughteous M

As I wrote the Stalingrad to Berlin scenario I feel a response is required.

Whilst I concede that the Divisions arriving from the West could have a higher TOE% I do not agree that this is just a quality issue. Writing a scenario is not just about creating a 100% accurate snapshot of history. There is also the need to work with the game engine and balance the scenario for playability. I learned this the hard way with my first draft of the Op Mars scenario - historically pretty accurate by as much fun to play as banging your head on a wall: 11 turns of fruitless soviet attacks.

In terms of working with the game the early naming of the SS Panzer Corps as II SS Panzer Corps is a case in point. There is no way in the editor to code a name change. The only way to replicate this would be to have the Corps HQ withdraw and a new titled one arrive on the same turn - as you cannot either predict the location or add additional APs to reassign subordinate units it is impractical. Conversely some title changes are hard coded - Army Group B is coded to re-title to Army Group South in Apr 43. You will know that historically in Feb 43 both Army Group B withdrew and Army Group Don retitled to Army Group South. As a result I chose to withdraw Army Group Don in Apr 43 to accommodate the loss of an Army Group HQ (and retain the Army Group South name). The plethora of Corps becoming Army Detachments and ultimately Armies during the winter 42-43 was an issue I had to consider carefully.

There are a number of other such OOB amendments to make things work [better]. Here are a few that I can remember and mention to show that they were deliberate decisions and not just mistakes:

- 3rd Mountain Division has three elements allowing creation of a full division even though the 139th Regt remained in Lapland.
- The frontline south of Velikie Luki was not a continuous line of units as it appears in the scenario. Had I left it as reality the Soviets could exploit through the gap - the games logistics model is too generous. I have added an additional LW Field Div to close the gap as Jager Battalions are not modelled in game and if they were included as a support units they wouldn't be able to hold ground without a combat unit.
- Retaining where possible Divisions as complete entities even though elements were attached hither and yonder.
- I agree that 6th Panzer Div is present a little too early but this was to balance the Soviet position at Stalingrad. You will notice that 64th Army has an ahistoric additional Tank Corps (in lieu of 3 x Tank Bdes). This was created to allow the scripted AI to encircle the 6th Army (the AI can't combine units). However I wanted to allow the Axis to break the 6th Army out if the player wanted. It's not easy but it is possible.

I hope this addresses your concerns - any 'faults' are entirely mine and as I didn't do it for the money this is not about profit. I write scenarios because I want people to play them - however for some reason people only seem to want to play the official ones with this game so when Joel asked me to write for Lost Battles I jumped at the chance.

John
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
morvael

Post by morvael »

Naughteous Maximus, please remember that although detailed the model in WitE does not allow 100% accurate representation of historical OOBs, therefore some leniency is required. Also, some things could be modeled, but gameplay balance requires them to be done differently. Scenario designer has to care about those things, not only OOB accuracy.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

I've selected 2 remarks that wrap up this discussion completly for me:

...need to work with the game engine and balance the scenario for playability...

...I write scenarios because I want people to play them...

There is no way that historical accuracy determines everything because it is after all a game and should be playable, enjoyable, and profitable to the developer.

Historical accuracy has an importatnt role and for some, the essential role. But you're not going to get perfect solutions w/o "supercomputers" in our laps.

Still, contributions of those who know the details are useful. Hope that the coding people use all this to improve the fundamentals as possible.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Exactly, some improvements could be made to the engine in future versions - renaming units on certain date as part of scenario data (very easy), allowing partial units - max 67% TOE, splits/recombines from 2 parts (easy), creating "battlegroup" units - an empty shell unit to put a group of support units on the map (medium), ability to detach parts of divisions other than by splitting them into 3 regiments (hard)... Of course it depends if they have time/resources to code this. Scenario designer can only work with what he is given at the moment.
Naughteous Maximus

I understand that what was done was for gaming purposes and thats fine with me. I just wanted an explanation and I got one, so thank you. I'm happy that we have an editor so if there is something we would like to change, we can do it. I can edit these scenarios to more of my liking. Thank you for the reply.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”