brigade groups

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

lion_of_judah

brigade groups

Post by lion_of_judah »

Question, trying to locate information on the makeup of a brigade group. I'm assuming this is larger than a normal Brigade, but not quite 2 brigades. Does anyone have information regarding this, and if so would much be appreciated.. thanks
LazyBoy

RE: brigade groups

Post by LazyBoy »

New zealand Division WW2 brigade groups consisted of an infantry Brigade plus attachments from the division.

Attachments could be a regiment of artillery, A/T company, Transport company, Tank regiment (if available), Engineer Company

They were used to create a small self contained force usually for a particular operation
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Yup, size would depend on Nation and time frame. Basically a Brigade GROUP would be a base Brigade reinforced with certain Divisional or Corps assets.

I believe the US currently has a brigade group structure for most missions. I know they wanted to change from Division formations to Brigade Groups.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

Brigade group for Lebanon & Transjordan 1948 are what i'm looking into for another scenario. my Chinese civil war is pretty much done, just need a few things programmed into events and more playtesting and this will be ready. I have asked ernie to help with programming as i'm programming challenged.

I had always thought that Brigades always had tanks & or arty attached too them, so when those are attached that is what makes them a brigade group, not just more men.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

A brigade will have its own organic Artillery assigned. This will be augmented from Division or Corps, along with possibly one or more Tank Battalions, engineers, signal corps assets and any other non organic type they may need.

Remember that there are Armor Brigades so they would be augmented with more mech probably.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

The Arab Legion as far as I know did not have tanks, only armored cars no tanks. Their beginning OOB in 1948 was 3 Brigades or Brigade groups, 4 armored car Bltn's and several infantry companies. The Lebanese did not have tanks either as far as I have found and had 5 Infantry Bltn's grps, some armored car units and for the invasion 5 infantry bltn's.

Syria had at the beginning of 1948 2 infantry brigades, mechanized bltn and several infantry units don't know if they were bltn size or smaller. 50 planes with only 10 being newer fighter bombers, also think they had tank bltn as well.

Egypt had at the beginning 2 infantry brigades, one with 5,000 men and the 2nd with 2,000 men also had a Muslim Brotherhood infantry Bltn. I know later they had a mechanized bde or tank cannot remember and their brigade total was 4 i think later on.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”