THE THREAD!!!

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Schanilec

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by Schanilec »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

Was 25F. Sunday morning. Stayed cool the whole day. Got some yard work done on Saturday and two turns done that evening. The 1st Filipino Regiment is in San Diego. Feeling a little mean streak in me. Thinking about sending them to the Aluetians.[:'(]

Frost warnings here yesterday. Tomorrow? 91F. [X(] WTF is going on around here? [8|]
It was a hard frost here. But there is nothing to freeze. Suppose to be in the eighties today. I don't see it though, 68F. right now. The wind is blowing into the 40+ mph range...again.[8|] Nothing new there. The river is back in the banks. Biking riding soon come.[:)]
This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

the Pershings in Europe vs. the Soviets moving in shore the large number of SSN's and SSGN's to show their "displeasure"). [:(]

I recall watching & reading about this. I was there for the Cuban crisis, even if I was just a wee lad. This one got far less press, and took us LOT closer to the button. Scary to ponder on.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I was 7 in 1980 and 17 in 1990, and I went from being unaware to being faintly worried to being scared to being shocked (in November of '89). It was a dark decade, far darker than most 80s fans these days know.

To paraphrase, "If you liked the 80s, you don't remember them correctly".
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

I was 7 in 1980 and 17 in 1990, and I went from being unaware to being faintly worried to being scared to being shocked (in November of '89). It was a dark decade, far darker than most 80s fans these days know.

OH I definately liked the 80's. In fact I LOVED them. And I remember them very well....Maybe it was "living on the edge". But I certainly appreciated the times. The main difference between the 80's and the decades that preceeded them (60's and 70"s) is that the west stood up for it'self. And there is the danger. When you stand up to a bully , there might be confrontation. Of course when you always back down , there's even more danger.

One of the quotes of the early 80's that I always liked was the then USN CNO James Halloway III. He said something to the effect that "I'm tired of staying awake nights worried what Admiral Goshkov is going to do. I want HIM to stay awake nights worried what Admiral Halloway is going to do". After backing down for Pueblo, and the EC-121, and numerous incidents in Korea and many other places , it was refreshing to make the "otherside stay awake nights". Dangerous, but invigorating to. When the west stopped backing up, then negoitiations could and did begin. [:)]
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Yeah... "Invigorating"... In the same way that driving on the wrong side of the freeway is invigorating...
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Yeah... "Invigorating"... In the same way that driving on the wrong side of the freeway is invigorating...

True....but it beats staying curled up in a fetal position chanting the mantra "please don't hurt me". [:D]
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I will say that if the 80s hadn't happened the way they did, the Cold War might actually still be going. It had to be won, and it was.

Doesn't mean they were a good decade. The 90s were a false dawn afterwards.
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

T- You got that right!!! I was in Army ROTC during this time and was fully preparing myself to be killing Soviet Pac troops in Fulda Gap!
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

Ahh, the good olde days when Grand Forks was Soviet target number #1. Sniff. We had long since already kissed our asses good-bye. So the 60's, 70's & 80's for us, were the good olde days. Sniff, sniff. Had North Dakota been a country, the state would have been the 3rd most powerful country in the world. Sniff. I think I'll go and hangout at LCF Juilet 0 and reflect. [wiping a tear] Sniff.

Good night. Hit 90 today. Amazing, since it was 68 at 1:00.
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Good morning - Tithe. [&o][&o][&o]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: nashvillen

T- You got that right!!! I was in Army ROTC during this time and was fully preparing myself to be killing Soviet Pac troops in Fulda Gap!

I was doing exactly that, defending the Fulda Gap against a Warsaw Pact invasion, in SSI's old "Reforger 88." [:D]
Mike

Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

A little thunder and rain early, early this morning. Been a long, long, long time.
Good morning.[:)]
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

Good morning!

Mike - you were one of the guys that were, and still are, my heroes! Lots of studying of the potential conflict that could occur there and what it would take to blunt the spear was amazing! [&o][&o][&o]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Morning tithe. [&o]
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Good morning!

Mike - you were one of the guys that were, and still are, my heroes! Lots of studying of the potential conflict that could occur there and what it would take to blunt the spear was amazing! [&o][&o][&o]

If playing computer wargames makes me your hero, then I'm your man. [:D]
Mike

nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

ORIGINAL: USS America

Good morning!

If playing computer wargames makes me your hero, then I'm your man. [:D]

Oops, I didn't see the SSI part! Where is that next cup of coffee? I need to wake up!

Still, you have served our country (USA) in the military, hence, you are my hero anyways!
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

And, while I have raw egg on my face...
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

I might as well push this to a new page...
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

One more...

Return to “The War Room”