How Blue is Blue - River Color Challenge

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

CapnDarwin

How Blue is Blue - River Color Challenge

Post by CapnDarwin »

We are not sure we can change the color right now with a ton of maps done and the need to see if the new color will work with the auto-map values routine, but we want to see what the grogs want for color of the rivers and lakes.

Like beer there is a light and dark selection. [:D]

The texture on the light color may not happen if we need to make the auto-map go. FYI.

Attachments
BlueComparisons.jpg
BlueComparisons.jpg (102.35 KiB) Viewed 238 times
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Mad Russian

RE: How Blue is Blue - River Color Challenge

Post by Mad Russian »

There will be no texture change if we do a quick fix. The only change would be the shade of the blue we use.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

This is an issue that I would recommend that you wait until you get the game to decide if you like things like the blue used for lakes and rivers. I started beta testing before the map tiles that are currently used were in the game. When they were first introduced my initially reaction was "kinda a step down from FPG". However, as I have fought numerous battles over them my comment is "hugh improvement over FPG". There are not as "pretty" as FPG, but they are more functional. When I play, I don't even think about the artistic look of the maps anymore. I am usually thinking of the tactical value of the locations on the map. You don't have to quess like you did in FPG. Their overall value is usually fairly obvious.

In some of the screen shots posted I didn't like the color of the blue either. That was because of the quality of the screen shot. The blue in the game does not look like some of these screen shots. Some of the screen shots do not do the maps (and the blue rivers) justice.

Btw, if you don't like the blue. you can load the maps in a map editor and using color replacer replace the blue with whatever color you like. I just tried it and it took me just a couple of minutes to change an entire map. In fact it took me a lot longer to write this post than to change the color of the rivers and lakes on the map.

Attachments
LightBlueRivers.jpg
LightBlueRivers.jpg (138.23 KiB) Viewed 238 times
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

I didn't cast a vote because I'd rather wait for the game to come out and see the maps from my own monitor. Colors in images can be misleading and it'd be a shame to choose the 'wrong' blue when the original would work nicely.
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
IronManBeta

Post by IronManBeta »

OldSarge - that is probably a good choice because the web colours are not exactly the same as the game colours when they are side by side on the screen. The map images themselves are regular png files - all the data (elevation, cover values, etc, etc.) goes into a companion ".fp9" file. This means that any graphics editor can be used to play with the png file and retinting your own copies of your maps to change the river blue to something else is relatively quick and easy.

Cheers, Rob
Ron

Post by Ron »

I think the light blue in the first image is a step in the right direction. Just to clarify, for me it isn't a 'light' versus 'dark' thing with the rivers, but the over saturation of the orignal blue versus the earthy tones of the rest of the graphics - something I see cbelva is a fan of. :D Anyways, I understand the priority and usefulness of an auto-map. Thanks for looking into it.
Richie61

Post by Richie61 »

I voted Light Blue, but I will accept either [:'(]
To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

Plodder

Post by Plodder »

I had to go for light blue as it reminded of the old Central Front maps.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”