Killer Tank of the 80's

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

Hexagon

RE: Killer Tank of the 80's

Post by Hexagon »

Thanks for the clarification about AD.

I dont know how is the game and if it has more parameters apart these... but i feel a little "strange" when see this values, of course T-80U armor was good but i feel that Leo2, M1 and Challenger have weaker armor and worst firepower... but again, things like unit experience can change this.... a very important area in a game like this.
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

Challenger for me good all round tank,high speed not to important in a built up Germany,good gun and well trained crew which has got to be the vital ingrediant.

Ian
The battle of Medjerda is almost forgotten,but was fought against highly disciplined German troops and blasted a route straight to Tunis it was a perfect infiltration battle and should be remembered as the best fought British battle of the war.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

It's interesting the German reliance on speed for a tank and the British attitude of speed being the least important thing a tank needs.

Not saying who is right or wrong just interesting what the different camps believe.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Richie61

Post by Richie61 »

Not trying to start a battle here, but I thought that the US measures their armor different from others.
Protection levels for US MBT's are larger than usually quoted because the US standard is for a 30 degrees oblique shot.

To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Richie,

That is why we look at data from various sources that rate the armors on a standard setup. That eliminates the bias you are talking about. Same thing is done for gun pen values too. Never trust the marketing specs from the vendor. [:D]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
jack54

Post by jack54 »

The stats of the T-80 are very impressive, (suprisingly so imho). my reason for not voting for it is the 'offensive role' it will play... they will probably die in bunches. I would have thought by '89 that the Leo would be the upgraded A4 but I will bow to your research... so I voted Abrams because of the gun... and what I believe will be an excellent fire control system. (I am, however, not 'convinced'.)LOL

Ps: alas, I cannot register my vote in the poll.... I was too Late!
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Yep, is unfair use the A1 version and not A4 with at least same gun as Abrams and better protection... but something i see now... why T-80U has only 80 points??? maybe 90-100 is better no??? i supose that T-72 and T-64 are the soviet main forces... what are their value???
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Guys, I would not get too wrapped up in these values and versions selected. There are a good number of tanks in the game including the versions you mentioned. The idea was to get folks talking about tanks of the time frame and see which ones people liked.

jack54

Post by jack54 »

Thanks Capn Darwin, good to know, I was also very happy to learn that there are other ratings not seen on the ratings cards such optics, stablization systems. Very good stuff!....

Correct me if I'm wrong but
As far as point values I would assume they represent availability as well as quality... so a lower point value for T-80 may
also indicate that there are more of them; not necessarily a poorer tactical ability.

thanks

waiting ... aaaa 'patiently' lol
Jack

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

The points show are our Victory Point calculation based on the weapon systems and platform parameters and equipment. The higher the value the more lethal the platform. The calculation is done in code as a anti-cheat measure, but there is a setting in each national data file that is used to adjust the value to reflect overall equipment quality.

Probably more than you wanted to hear. [:D]

Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Well, in the "crude" stats for a tank (armor, penetration, movility) T-80U is competitive... other question is protection (here you have armor quality, vulneravility to critical blow ups, other defenses...) firepower (accurancy, fighting range, ammo quality, doctrine/training) and of course how is crew performance, i dont know if you cover the quality in west designs for crew confort could be great see them earning less fatige than soviet crews.

PD: maybe you can create a post to show the hardware in game and coment more about game parameters [8D]
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

You are reading my mind. I plan to start posting a "Behind the Numbers" thread to do a show and tell about various aspects of the combat mechanics we use. Hopefully it will be interesting to some folks. [8D]

Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Nice, maybe could be interesting take some guinean pigs to compare them... something like T-80U VS Leo2/M1/Challenger and T-72/T-64 VS M60/LeoI/Chieftain

And about my read mind powers... "The Truth is Out There"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMhMwGuCU3s
jack54

Post by jack54 »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

You are reading my mind. I plan to start posting a "Behind the Numbers" thread to do a show and tell about various aspects of the combat mechanics we use. Hopefully it will be interesting to some folks. [8D]

I believe I would enjoy that thread... [:)]

bboyer66_slith

Post by bboyer66_slith »

Just curious if the M1A1HA with its depleted uranium armor will be modeled in the game.
These was the variant of M1 that I was a crewman in (1989-1993 3-64 Armored BN 3rd ID Schweinfurt)
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Bboyer66,
It is in the game.

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

It's not only available in the game, some of the 3rd Armored Division scenarios use it. [:D]

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”