Input combat results?

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

gcbisset

Input combat results?

Post by gcbisset »

I do alot of solo miniature gaming, and would like to use ATG as the campaign portion of
my wars. To do this I would need a way to bypass the normal combat resolution, or go back into the game and change the combat results to what happened on the table.

This kind of feature would make ATG a great tool for the mini wargaming community.

It also could be useful to someone who wanted to do campaigns that use another pc game as the tactical game, or who fight ATG on 2 levels, the strategic, and then a smaller scale tactical battle map.

How hard would it be to mod the combat results to do this?

This also could be accomplished by editing saved games. Is there a way to edit saved games?

Thanks,

George
ernieschwitz

RE: Input combat results?

Post by ernieschwitz »

I think there is a setting in the rulevars to execute a function at the end of combat... That might be useful...

Another thing that could be done is an action card, that would allow you to remove an enemy unit... for instance...

I am sure Vic might come up with something more interesting, but this is just off the top of my head... :)
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
CSO_Talorgan

Post by CSO_Talorgan »

ORIGINAL: gcbisset

I do alot of solo miniature gaming, and would like to use ATG as the campaign portion of my wars.

... or go back into the game and change the combat results to what happened on the table.

This also could be accomplished by editing saved games. Is there a way to edit saved games?

It needs an option, doesn't it:

Option #1: I am a nice honest solo wargamer who needs the relevant file left open.
Option #2: I am playing PBEM against a scoundrel who is liable to cheat ["Clang!"]

For all I know the option may already exist. Don't underestimate ATG's editor!

ORIGINAL: gcbisset

It also could be useful to someone who wanted to do campaigns that use another pc game as the tactical game, or who fight ATG on 2 levels, the strategic, and then a smaller scale tactical battle map.

Wholeheartedly agree.

I heard of a bunch of guys who refought parts of Barbarrossa using TOAW as the operational game and Combat Mission as the tactical. That must have been *fun* but they had a spare human to do the donkey work of data exchange between the operational and tactical layers. It seems that you either lose true solitude (human umpire) or you lose true fog of war (transfer the data yourself).

Close Combat, of course, has both a strat layer and MMCC III, and there was Combat Mission Campaigns, but neither of these are fully satisfactory. Transferring data between unrelated games is probably well nigh impossible.

... and yet this is IMHO the next frontier of grognard gaming. Look at the enthusiasm Combat Mission Campaigns was greeted with.

We can dream.
gcbisset

Post by gcbisset »

Right! Or perhaps just a message to email users "File has been edited"

Yes, I think ATG could be edited to do this, by someone who understands how, so far noone has volunteered. Its a little bit beyond me, a non programmer type.

Right, the umpire/solo gamer has to see the data, and so should probably keep it on a simple level (eliminate uints, reduce others by a %, etc).

I think there could be a function programmed for ATG that would allow you to transfer an OOB from a large campaign map to a smaller (perhaps random) tactical map, but I think we would need someone slightly skilled with ATG to do this.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Has anyone developed a way to do this in ATG?

ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: 76mm
Has anyone developed a way to do this in ATG?

Gazfun is working on a napoleonic scenario, that I am helping him with, that tackles this problem, sort of. Instead of actually letting the units fight, they let them fight offgame, and then they move the units lost to a different counter, and then delete that counter via card, that reports the number of power points deleted to everyone.

Other than that I have not heard of anyone tackling this issue.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Thanks. Do you know whether this solution would allow players to fight some battles in-game (ATG) if they don't want to fight them out at the tactical level?
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I would think so. But I am not sure. Depends on alot of what-ifs. For instance, do both players need to agree on not doing the battle in-game?
  • Advanced Tactics Gold

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”