OT : Avalon Hill

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

buchand

OT : Avalon Hill

Post by buchand »

For the veterans among us. Saw this and went all misty eyed. I used to caddy at the local golf club to get the cash and then dash into the center of Chicago to get the latest.
Now I'm living in Crete after a career in London and playing WITE on a PC - not a die 6 in sight!

http://www.wargamer.com/article/3209/th ... he-wargame
Plan? What plan? Attack!!
Chaplain Lovejoy

RE: OT : Avalon Hill

Post by Chaplain Lovejoy »

Ah, D-Back 2, pink panzers--those were the days!
AZKGungHo

Post by AZKGungHo »

I remember the Bulge well - lots of fun if not very realistic. Days gone by...
"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

Things got better but all you really need is imagination. Unfortunately you can never go home again.
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Maximeba

Post by Maximeba »

My buddy and I still have quit a few of the Avlon Hill games. Every once in a while we will dust off Third Reich or Squad Leader and play. As a matter of fact I think I'm going to bring Squad Leader on our family vacation and see if I can get any of the grand kids to play. Could be a problem as they counters are not dorks, orcs, or zombies.
Wes
Allies Forever
turtlefang

Post by turtlefang »

Been playing wargames for more years than I want to admit. Got started with the classics and spent many hours with friends across a hex board and still have a lot of them in the store room.

But have to agree with the comment - you can't go back. And today's games allow me to keep playing with my old friends even though the years have taken up to many different places in the world.
OddBall2

Post by OddBall2 »

Avolon Hill, Still have my old Battle Of The Bulge, Third Reich Board & CD. Who can forget GETTYSBURG, Maybe best simplest pure tactical game ever. how about Panzer Leader and Panzer Blitz. Bought half a dozen of them and would make the biggest boards we could. Biggest problem was finding a table large enough to play on.
Michael J. Keohane
terje439

Post by terje439 »

I remember the first time I played Diplomacy. It was at a game con here in Norway. Myself and another guy had never played the game before, and the other players constituted most of the Norwegian "national" team (a few of them had won the European Championship etc).
In the end (after taking nothing but beatings throughout the game), I decided to play the role of "kingmaker" for the other newbie (He was Austria, I was Italy), and moved my units out of my supply centres, and told him how to move to make sure he took them all.

Gee the grognards were angry about being eliminated in such a way [:D]

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Still play AH A3R.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (456.95 KiB) Viewed 379 times
dougo33

Post by dougo33 »

ORIGINAL: buchand

For the veterans among us. Saw this and went all misty eyed. I used to caddy at the local golf club to get the cash and then dash into the center of Chicago to get the latest.
Now I'm living in Crete after a career in London and playing WITE on a PC - not a die 6 in sight!

http://www.wargamer.com/article/3209/th ... he-wargame

Great article with many memories. I still own some of the games he mentioned. I remember playing Panzerblitz with my buddies with many extra boards and counters.

as an aside...I was stationed on Crete in the 80's and really enjoyed it there. I was stationed with Ty Bomba (game designer and magazine editor for Command and other mags) and he kicked my rear regularly lol.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Michael T

Still play AH A3R.

warspite1

Recognise some of those! [:)]

Just curious - if you play A3R, have you ever tried World In Flames?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Yes many years ago. Will try the PC version when it is done.

BTW I am about to build a 1/350 Warspite. Don't suppose you would have a copy of 'Battleship Warspite - Anatomy of a Ship' that would part with :)
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Yes many years ago. Will try the PC version when it is done.

BTW I am about to build a 1/350 Warspite. Don't suppose you would have a copy of 'Battleship Warspite - Anatomy of a Ship' that would part with :)
warspite1

Good choice!!

I am building her at the moment - the Academy version. Slow progress as my eyesight is buggered and I cannot spend more than 20-30 mins on the close up stuff.

I am afraid I only have Battleship Warspite (Tarrant) and I would not give that away!! [:)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

OMG, Diplomacy, D-Day, and Tactics II (whatever) from Avalon Hill. Addictions for some when in college. Taught me how smart I wasn't.

Appreciate the memories.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Still play AH A3R.

warspite1

Recognise some of those! [:)]

Just curious - if you play A3R, have you ever tried World In Flames?

I want to know how you broken into my house to take this picture [:)]. To make it worse, you did not even ask me to paly one of these lol.
Shupov

Post by Shupov »

I still have my well-worn AH games. My first wargame was Stalingrad and I've been an East Front fanatic ever since!

Like the article's author I too was a subscriber to SPI's Strategy & Tactics magazine that included a game in every issue. What a treat!
STALINADE

The real RED soda!
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Fun article and I also have a lot of titles from back in the day of AH. Sadly about half of them probably never got played against another opponent, but some got played a lot. I was also in on the dawn of another great game company: GDW. Pearl Harbor was a game that got played a lot by our group as we were growing up.

Probably my fondest/finest period of constant board war gaming was in the early 80's when I was stationed in Norfolk. We would get together at a friend's apartment and pretty much play a pile of different war games over time including Fire in the East, etc. Awesome times and memories.
Maximeba

Post by Maximeba »

[quoteFun article and I also have a lot of titles from back in the day of AH. Sadly about half of them probably never got played against another opponent, but some got played a lot. I was also in on the dawn of another great game company: GDW. Pearl Harbor was a game that got played a lot by our group as we were growing up.

][/quote]
GDW, was an excellant company. I have many titles, Fire in the East, Case White, Second Front, Balkan Campaign and many more. Myself and two friend got together every week in my basement and played Fire in the East. We had no heat in the basement but it didn't stop us from playing. It was so cold that you could see your breath. I remember thinking a fog was rolling over Russia. Those were the days.

Wes
Allies Forever
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Ahhh the old wargame shelf. I still have one buried in a little room that used to be my "man cave". Its been overrun by "stuff" that gets generated when you have 3 daughters and a wife that wont throw away anything in the hopes that someday it will come back into fashion.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”