TF Loading

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Jim Stevens

TF Loading

Post by Jim Stevens »

Apparently the user interface (UI) for the game and I are not on the same frequency when it come to the mystery of task force (TF) loading. I have some land combat units (LCU?) I want to transport. I carefully write down the troop and cargo requirements for each. Then I create a transport TF hoping to meet the requirements of 1 unit per boat by assigning an AP or xAP class ship that will hold the troops for each and cargo only type ships if the above don't have enough cargo room. Then the fun begins.

Loading the troops the UI seems to split larger LCU's up over multiple AP types to exclusion of smaller LCU's so that I have to keep adding and adding more ships to the TF. That's cumbersome too because if I request the UI to add more ships it seems it will go to some disused pier and find the slowest, smallest, tub it can find to add to the TF. Not the way I would like to build a TF.

I did search the forum and didn't return any meaningful results. I did read the FAQ's and they help in bits and pieces but I did not find a "Noobs Guide to Loading" anywhere. Can anybody share the steps they take for loading a transport TF start to finish so it loads on the first time and get me out of sandbox (repetitive testing process) hell?

Thanks in advance for your help.
kbfchicago

RE: TF Loading

Post by kbfchicago »

Couple of notes that may help...

- Amphibious loads require more space (vs list value), Transport loads take listed value
- When I'm short on capacity or need a specific load I load individual units via individual TFs, then combine prior to movement or if you can't wait the extra turn to combine, set them to meet and "merge" outside the port.
MacBook Pro / WITP-AE running in Parallels v15.x
rms1pa

Post by rms1pa »

i feel your pain,

as an AFB the wealth of transport availible lets me be a bit sloppy.

my method is to put all of the acceptible transports into the TF then choose minimum ships, then hit verify load. this gives me a choice of ships to remove.

if i want a fast unload i load no supplies and only remove 1/3 of the removable ships and then change to use all. but for normal port to port transfer i remove 1/2 to 2/3 ships and the choose use all ships.

sometimes you have to use the wallowing pigs too.

note the big transports and freighters WILL be hell to unload without a large port (lvl 5 or better) with lots of naval support (150 or more)

rms/pa
there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.
Jim Stevens

Post by Jim Stevens »

ORIGINAL: kbfchicago

Couple of notes that may help...

- Amphibious loads require more space (vs list value), Transport loads take listed value
- When I'm short on capacity or need a specific load I load individual units via individual TFs, then combine prior to movement or if you can't wait the extra turn to combine, set them to meet and "merge" outside the port.

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of building individual unit transports to help 'guide' the UI into the loading I want. I am going to sandbox that and see what i can do.
Jim Stevens

Post by Jim Stevens »

ORIGINAL: rms1pa

i feel your pain,

as an AFB the wealth of transport availible lets me be a bit sloppy.

my method is to put all of the acceptible transports into the TF then choose minimum ships, then hit verify load. this gives me a choice of ships to remove.

if i want a fast unload i load no supplies and only remove 1/3 of the removable ships and then change to use all. but for normal port to port transfer i remove 1/2 to 2/3 ships and the choose use all ships.

sometimes you have to use the wallowing pigs too.

note the big transports and freighters WILL be hell to unload without a large port (lvl 5 or better) with lots of naval support (150 or more)

rms/pa

Thanks for your reply. Wow, so much to consider! I am envious of you guys that have all this in your head. I was getting ready to shoot myself in the foot with big transports heading for a small port. Now I have to rethink this a bit and sandbox it for variations on a theme.
rms1pa

Post by rms1pa »

Thanks for your reply. Wow, so much to consider! I am envious of you guys that have all this in your head. I was getting ready to shoot myself in the foot with big transports heading for a small port. Now I have to rethink this a bit and sandbox it for variations on a theme.

oftimes i will send a unit in the big ships to Sydney then rail to say townsville then load there into small ships (AMCs etc.) to go elsewhere.

rms/pa
there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.

Return to “The War Room”