OT: Ledo Road supplies

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Yaab

OT: Ledo Road supplies

Post by Yaab »

What exactly was delivered to China once the Ledo Road had opened? Browsing the Internet reveals enigmatic "supplies" or"vehicles" moved in great quantities, but I cannot find a detailed breakdown of items.

Were any 105mm howitzers moved via Ledo Road? 155mm guns? M3 tanks? Heavy (75,80 or 90mm) flak guns? Artillery shells? Armored cars?

This mind wants to know. Thanks!

Gregg

RE: OT: Ledo Road supplies

Post by Gregg »

My understanding is that the largest trucks used on the Ledo Road were 2 1/2 ton trucks.
Thus I would conclude that the largest things transported on the Ledo road were things that could be carried in or towed behind a Duce and a Half.
Gregg
morejeffs

Post by morejeffs »

If I remember correctly there was also a pipeline that carried fuel
that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

The Ledo Road vehicles I have seen so far on WWII photographs include Dodge trucks, Jeeps, ambulances and bulldozers. Haven't seen a single tank, armored car or towed artillery piece making the trip to China.

Did the trucks go back to Ledo after having delivered supplies to China or were the trucks given to the Chinese? Wikipedia says that 26,000 vehicles were given to the Chinese - seems every convoy surrendered its trucks to the KMT at the terminus in Kunming. I have always thought that the trucks went back to Ledo to collect a new batch of supplies and that the Ledo Road was a two-way road.

BTW, if the Chinese got 26,000 trucks in 1945 plus fuel, shouldn't have some of their corps switched to motorized infantry?

Yaab

Post by Yaab »

One more thing. If the convoys from Ledo dumped both their supplies and trucks in Kunming, then where did the new trucks come from for new convoys? Were they shipped to India from the USA? If so, was then the real purpose of the Ledo Road motorisation of China by sending trucks to KMT for which Kuomintang had no fuel? This whole project looks wasteful Soviet-style.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

I don't have the answers, and I don't like to guess,

but check this:
http://cbi-theater.home.comcast.net/~cb ... _home.html

regards
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

http://cbi-theater-10.home.comcast.net/ ... ation.html

interesting to see that their main problem was lack of trained truckers.

It was wasteful.. but the entire war was, they tried everythink they thought can help.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Urumchi I believe, is a fuel source. That's a heck of a long road up there and back to get it to the front (I don't know whether it was open historically) but that might be one important use for those trucks. Chunking in particular is a supply source but needed that fuel to produce them. I don't think motorizing infantry was very high on the things to do list for those trucks in any case.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”