Combat engineers reducing forts

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

topeverest

Combat engineers reducing forts

Post by topeverest »

I am curious if using more than one combat engineer unit will in fact hasten the reduction of a defenders fort. Is it based on the number of squads, or is it a check box that if present, reduce one level.
Andy M
PaxMondo

RE: Combat engineers reducing forts

Post by PaxMondo »

I'm pretty sure I have seen forts reduced by more than one level per combat turn, but not often. Based upon that observation, I've assumed that there is a check per unit. Unit size I beleive is just about how survivalbe the unit is in combat. Engr's seem to take a lot of losses in my games.
Pax
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

I would think that "effectiveness" of one's engineers is directly proportional to the number of engineering squads that are part of the attack.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

I'm pretty sure I have seen forts reduced by more than one level per combat turn, but not often. Based upon that observation, I've assumed that there is a check per unit. Unit size I beleive is just about how survivalbe the unit is in combat. Engr's seem to take a lot of losses in my games.

That probably occurred when the attacker achieved a high adjusted assault value. Even without combat engineers present, achieve an adjusted AV ratio of 4:1 and multiple fortification levels will be demolished. Read s.8.4.2.2 of the manual for details.

Alfred
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

I would think that "effectiveness" of one's engineers is directly proportional to the number of engineering squads that are part of the attack.
I agree.
They do not work every time. Besides most Divisions have some of them organic, so you would not need extra units if this would be so easy.
Use all possible units with them. Even at failed attacks (like 1:3) I have seen them reduce fort. But after attack check their status. They tend to lose LOTS of their numbers.

The text "Engineers reduce enemy forts" shows before combat result, so it suggest they do it before final calculations, and I have never seen this number to be greater than 1.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

That probably occurred when the attacker achieved a high adjusted assault value. Even without combat engineers present, achieve an adjusted AV ratio of 4:1 and multiple fortification levels will be demolished. Read s.8.4.2.2 of the manual for details.

Alfred
Alfred,

I'm sure you are correct, but I can't actually remember the exact details of when I have seen it. [8D]
Pax
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

It is a rare occurrence because up against a highly fortified location, it is hard enough to get 2:1 odds after each attack and therefore bring down the fortification level one at a time. Usually those sites have beaucoup of defenders and it takes a lot of time to get high forts.

The more common situation I have seen is the combat engineers reduce the forts by 1 level themselves and if the adjusted AV came out to 3:1 (hard to achieve for the reasons given above) a further fort level is knocked off. The Singapore and Bataan sieges seem to be regular candidates to seeing forts dropping by more than 1 level at a time.

Paradoxically where it might be more common is out in the field where the attacker only gets to ejects the defender if all the field fort levels are destroyed in the same attack. That however would largely pass by unnoticed because how often do players check the field fort levels of their defenders each turn before an incoming attack and the CR never records what was the field fort level. I certainly don't check on them regularly.[:)]

Alfred
steverodgers801

Post by steverodgers801 »

Artillery also helps in reducing the fort. It also depends on the size of the fort. The higher the level the harder and longer it takes. I would suspect that the multiple dropping is for lower level forts.
sprior

Post by sprior »

8.4.2.2 states:

Fortifications can be reduced in level by enemy ground attacks; the Fortification Level of a hex
drops by one if the combat odds are 1 to 1 or greater. Each Attack Odds level will reduce the
Fortification Level by 1 if all attacking units are using Shock Attack or Bombardment Attack
(i.e. 4 to 1 odds would reduce the Fortification Level by 4). Also, combat engineers participating
in attacks against

So, shock attacks reduce fortifications quicker if you get good odds.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”