Let's Preview Distant Worlds: Shadows

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

DasTactic

Let's Preview Distant Worlds: Shadows

Post by DasTactic »

I've been very lucky to get a preview version of Distant Worlds: Shadows and so can make a Let's Play (or Let's Preview) series in the leadup to the launch of the game. Something I've been looking forward to for quite some months.

Episode 1:
Distant Worlds Shadows ~ Preview Ep1~ Planetary Raiders

Hope you enjoy it. :)
Erik Rutins

RE: Let's Preview Distant Worlds: Shadows

Post by Erik Rutins »

Thank you kindly Das, I hope the galaxy treats your pirates well and I appreciate your interest and enthusiasm. Also FYI, check with us tomorrow, we should have a new preview build available then too.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
CrispMPS

Post by CrispMPS »

Good stuff! You have my sub.
Antiscamp

Post by Antiscamp »

Your Distant Worlds Let's Plays convinced me to buy this game, Das. I hope this Shadows preview might have the same effect on other peple as well, because this is one good game.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

Thanks for the comments. :) New preview version not there yet Eric but I'll keep checking.

Here is episode 2:

Distant Worlds Shadows ~ Preview Ep2 ~ Competition Attrition

I've got to say, I'm really enjoying the changes to the game. Playing as a normal empire is also really different and even more immersive than it was before.
Mansen

Post by Mansen »

*fetches popcorn*

And the subjugation of Braugele continues. [&o]
Currently Working On:
X-Universe Conversion (Hiatus)
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Das, will probably be tomorrow, as we're working on it a bit more this evening. Sorry for the false alarm [8D]

Just watched the new video, great to see you enjoying the game. Taking out that enemy resupply ship was a good move, but it definitely cost you as well. I'd be looking for a few ships to capture now.

There are quite a few independent freighters around Braugele. If you can capture a few of those, you should be able to expand your smuggling operation nicely.

Assault pods and raiders, similar to fighters, do regenerate over time. The pirates that conduct the raid return to their ships pretty quickly actually, it just takes time to get them ready to go out on another raid again. The raiders are not large troop units, they are intended to be smaller groups and the pirates are very good at this type of activity.

Getting that first pirate base built will definitely help you, but you do need to still protect it as other pirates may conduct raids to try to destroy it if they can get to the planet. Looks like your closest rivala are pretty weak at the moment though. I saw that you turned down the pirates from "Many" (the Age of Shadows default) to "Normal" so you may not see quite as many as in the default Shadows game.

Keep in mind that you have an intelligence agent too. Use can use that character to good effect against other pirates - try to steal their galaxy map to find more indepentend worlds, blow up their bases, assassinate their leaders, etc.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
There are quite a few independent freighters around Braugele. If you can capture a few of those, you should be able to expand your smuggling operation nicely.
I'm not sure what he's doing - when he right clicks on the enemy ships (with his fleet selected), his ships attack - so is the "capture" mission only available for use on civilian ships, or is it selected through the context list?
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

ORIGINAL: Kayoz
I'm not sure what he's doing - when he right clicks on the enemy ships (with his fleet selected), his ships attack - so is the "capture" mission only available for use on civilian ships, or is it selected through the context list?
The default action for right-clicking is to attack but if I push Control and right-click I get a menu. I believe that the default planetary action for pirates will be to raid rather than attack though.
Mansen

Post by Mansen »

Couple of quick questions :

Lets say you board a group of enemy ships as a pirate...
- Can you do deep space repairs to them in a decent fashion or will you have to drag them back slowly?
- Can you retrofit ships of another empire to one of your designs once they make it back? Like add boarding pods for even more boarding action?

How does the smuggling feature work? Do you get one off contracts from planets in need of certain resources? Can you make continuous deals with one to supply them with resources indefinitely? Will this improve their relationship with you? (Especially if you're subjugating them by force)

Currently Working On:
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

You can always retrofit a ship you own. Some have some protection in their design against AI retrofits (think of the aliens).

Your constructors can repair ships anywhere. It has "always" been that way.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Das,

FYI the new preview build is now available.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Mansen

Post by Mansen »

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

You can always retrofit a ship you own. Some have some protection in their design against AI retrofits (think of the aliens).

Your constructors can repair ships anywhere. It has "always" been that way.

Good to know, thanks! Didn't get to try everything out when I tried the game the other day. :)
Currently Working On:
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I watched part 2.

I think you made the game harder by reducing independents. They are probably food for pirates.

Also, why hunt all those caslon sources, when your base is one? They posted smuggling for polymer, and I think the planet very next to theirs was a polymer source. I would think getting control of the somewhat rare and important strategics would be top priority. To sell them to various needy parts.

A protection agreement would also be good income. Those are hard to get when you have not found an empire yet, though.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

ORIGINAL: Mansen

Couple of quick questions :

Lets say you board a group of enemy ships as a pirate...
- Can you do deep space repairs to them in a decent fashion or will you have to drag them back slowly?
- Can you retrofit ships of another empire to one of your designs once they make it back? Like add boarding pods for even more boarding action?

How does the smuggling feature work? Do you get one off contracts from planets in need of certain resources? Can you make continuous deals with one to supply them with resources indefinitely? Will this improve their relationship with you? (Especially if you're subjugating them by force)
As Bingeling said, you can still use Contructor ships to repair in space and you can give ships a retrofit order if you wish.

Smuggling is simply that you build a fleet of freighters and then they automatically go and buy or sell goods on the open market. You know what ships are yours but as far as the other empires are concerned the freighters are 'independent' and have no idea they are pirates. Brilliantly simple concept. :) The game automatically operates the freighters but the only difference is that you can choose to build them yourself (instead of the private sector building them if playing as an empire.
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi Das,

FYI the new preview build is now available.

Regards,

- Erik
Thanks Eric. I'm downloading it now. I've got six episodes recorded using the other version so episode 7 will be with this release.
ORIGINAL: Bingeling
I think you made the game harder by reducing independents. They are probably food for pirates.

Also, why hunt all those caslon sources, when your base is one? They posted smuggling for polymer, and I think the planet very next to theirs was a polymer source. I would think getting control of the somewhat rare and important strategics would be top priority. To sell them to various needy parts.

A protection agreement would also be good income. Those are hard to get when you have not found an empire yet, though.
I think in hind-sight I should have stuck with many of the defaults.

Originally I was wanting to control all systems with caslon to stop other pirate expansion but then later realised this approach was going to send me broke. I then switch to the strategy you suggest. :)

The empires are coming in the next few episodes (uploading it now).
Webbco

Post by Webbco »

I think I've noticed something new - I'm sure I saw one of your heavily damaged ships (after the battle with the resupply ship) begin to move despite its hyperdrive taken out...does that happen now? Before, a ship would need its hyperdrive even to travel at sublight speed.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Webbco

I think I've noticed something new - I'm sure I saw one of your heavily damaged ships (after the battle with the resupply ship) begin to move despite its hyperdrive taken out...does that happen now? Before, a ship would need its hyperdrive even to travel at sublight speed.
Sublight uses thrusters, not hyperdrive. That is, unless they've radically altered the tech tree, that is.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

Yes, you can now build ships without hyperdrive. In fact, if you start as one of the shadow Empires the only ships you can build are sub-light until you aquire the hyperdrive research. Really puts a new complexion on the game.

Here's the next episode...

Distant Worlds Shadows ~ Preview Ep3 ~ Boskaran Encounter
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Saw some old scaling issues at 1.18 with the ship UI.The bottom text was cut off.

Return to “After Action Reports”