Sub mines

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

DOCUP

Sub mines

Post by DOCUP »

I see that US subs can only deploy Mk 10 mines. I read in Nav Weapons that sub deployed these aswell. Once the Mk 10's are gone sub mine laying is done. I know that arial mines are in the game, but these aren't as flexible as subs laying mine fields.
geofflambert

RE: Sub mines

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

I see that US subs can only deploy Mk 10 mines. I read in Nav Weapons that sub deployed these aswell. Once the Mk 10's are gone sub mine laying is done. I know that arial mines are in the game, but these aren't as flexible as subs laying mine fields.

Did you leave something out there, like a nationality?
I was unaware that there were aerial deployed mines in this game, could someone elaborate?

Not sure what you meant, but my IJN opponent keeps dumping "special" (sub) mines in my ports. Damn nuisance.

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Most sub upgrades from late 42 on get Mk 12 mines. The S boats never upgrade to use anything but Mk 10 mines.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

Bill thanks.  I didn't see the MK 12 mentioned in any of my upgraded sub menus.

Mr. Gorn. US gets air dropped mines sometime in 43.  Go to city bombin and look in the bottom left hand corner of that box you will see mine port.  Click it and it will list bases you can mine.  I believe its MK 13 mine.  Not for sure someone will be around to tell is if I am right or not.
tk208

Post by tk208 »

Japanese can also lay mines by air
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Dang it! Another damn thing I didn't know. I wonder if my opponent's been doing that to me? I thought it was just subs. Makes no diff, I sweep everywhere and have never to my knowledge run into his mines except at Manila in the beginning.

koniu

Post by koniu »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Dang it! Another damn thing I didn't know. I wonder if my opponent's been doing that to me? I thought it was just subs. Makes no diff, I sweep everywhere and have never to my knowledge run into his mines except at Manila in the beginning.

Air mining is visible to enemy. It is normal combat air mission. You will see standard air bombing animation in turn replay.
"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
d0mbo

Post by d0mbo »

Japanese players can lay mines by airplane? Learn something new every day.

Japanese sub laid mines are quite powerful, having about 2x times the effect of regular, CM laid mines.
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

another sticky note! Thanks Joe.[:D]
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Most sub upgrades from late 42 on get Mk 12 mines. The S boats never upgrade to use anything but Mk 10 mines.

Bill

Not all upgrade to carry the Mk12 but plenty do. However, all will then upgrade at a latter date to not carry any mines at all. The trade off is that they then get much better radar and the subs are deadlier but I recommend keeping about half a dozen capable of carrying the MK12 mine which remains in production until the end of the war. It is the nastiest mine that anyone produces with about the same punch as a long lance.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

Thanks guys. I went thru the editor and found the classes that can carry MK12 mines, they are Porpoise, Shark, Perch, and Salmon. Only one of them has the MK12 displayed in the sub info screen. I will post a picture of what I am seeing. Maybe someone can tell me what I am missing.

edit: Both shots are of 6/43 upgrade

Attachments
subs.jpg
subs.jpg (296.12 KiB) Viewed 140 times
koniu

Post by koniu »

I think I will be much happier if You abandon all mining operations
"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

Koniu, you are like my wife right now.  I am not to make you happy I am suppose to pester and annoy you.  Oh and it is my real one year anniversary today, and I am playing AE[:D]. 
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

Koniu, you are like my wife right now.  I am not to make you happy I am suppose to pester and annoy you. Oh and it is my real one year anniversary today, and I am playing AE[:D]. 

DOCUP (why do you always shout your name?) it sounds like you're the wife dude. His job is to drink beer while watching pointless sports games, fart and belch.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Here's a related question: I don't happen to know this and haven't tried it myself, but do you have to own an unoccupied (or even enemy occupied) port/base hex in order to operate sub and aircraft tenders? Can you operate such at coastal or island hexes that have no base? I ask that because if you spotted an enemy tender operating somewhere (and likely without any sweepers) that might be a good spot to mine either by sub or air.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Here's a related question: I don't happen to know this and haven't tried it myself, but do you have to own an unoccupied (or even enemy occupied) port/base hex in order to operate sub and aircraft tenders? Can you operate such at coastal or island hexes that have no base? I ask that because if you spotted an enemy tender operating somewhere (and likely without any sweepers) that might be a good spot to mine either by sub or air.

edit: uh oh, I look like footslogger here.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”