New to WitE

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

AFIntel

New to WitE

Post by AFIntel »

I'm just now becoming interested in the Eastern Front and looking for a game modelling it. Would this be an equivalent in complexity and detail to WitP:AE?
Numdydar

RE: New to WitE

Post by Numdydar »

Actualy simpler imho since I have been playing WitP AE for over three years. Of course I am playing Japan so that makes any other game simpler lol.
terje439

RE: New to WitE

Post by terje439 »

To me this is far simpler to actually play, but there is a lot of detail to pay attention to here as well.
However I feel that this game is far more forgiving than Witp:AE, if you do a silly/stupid/moronic/idiotic/(you get the idea) move, you might end up losing a division or two, but if you do the same in Witp:AE you might lose so many ships that your offensive capabilities are gone for a year or two.

With Wite you can easily sit down, play a few of the smaller scenarios, and then go for the big one after a few tries, and still do reasonably ok.

So, on the complexity, it is far easier (imo) than Witp:AE.

As to detail, well, the divisions etc that fought on the eastern fron is in here, as are the generals, and each division has a TOE of lots of things, some which takes longer than others to refill btw, and you can switch air groups between commands, send a pioneer unit from one army to another and such, so it comes on par in that regards with the LAND BASED part of Witp:AE. There are sadly no naval units here though :(

The best bet is probably to look at a few AARs to get an idea of the complexity and detail of this game. Just want to add that I have never regretted buying this game (I might have trashed a keyboard due to bad dice rolls, but still never regretted the buy [:D])

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”