OT: The City of Ruins

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

koniu

OT: The City of Ruins

Post by koniu »

8-9 May is Victory Day in Europe. So i want to show why we don`t like war

This movie can be seen in Warsaw Uprising Museum with better Quality and 3D if someone what to visit Warsaw
This is animated reconstruction of how Warsaw look at spring `45, around 7 months after Uprising fall and 4 months after red army liberate city from German occupation.

This is animation created on base of original movie filmed from plane flying above city.
No extra staff was added, they only made it animated.

Flat area without any standing buildings is mostly Ghetto area destroyed to last brick after Ghetto Uprising fall in May 43

Warsaw Uprising have place between 1 August – 2 October 1944 (2 months and 1 day). Polish resistance Home Army have ~40,000 armed soldiers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a17UekLBfAU

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
Yaab

RE: OT: The City of Ruins

Post by Yaab »

I have always felt that I would have been more beneficial to the Third Reich to leave the city to the Polish Home Army and drive a wedge between Western Allies and the Soviet Union. Free Warsaw would have been reporting to the Polish Government-in-Exile making it a royal pain for the Soviets to install the Polish communists as a new power in Poland.
Herrbear

Post by Herrbear »

Thank you. Very touching.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Hitler was obsessed with holding every inch of ground and defending Poland was almost impossible without holding Warsaw because all roads lead to Warsaw in the country. Especially railroads. The uprising started because the Russians were just outside the city, but the Russians just stopped and did nothing. If the Germans had abandoned Warsaw to its fate, Stalin would have had the Home Army killed when he took the city. He was hoping the Germans would do the dirty work for him and they did.

Unfortunately the rebellion was doomed from the start. They still fought a noble fight though. Let's hope the world never forgets them.

The movie is a stark reminder how destructive modern warfare is to a city.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Justus2

Post by Justus2 »

ORIGINAL: koniu

This movie can be seen in Warsaw Uprising Museum with better Quality and 3D if someone what to visit Warsaw
This is animated reconstruction of how Warsaw look at spring `45, around 7 months after Uprising fall and 4 months after red army liberate city from German occupation.

This is animation created on base of original movie filmed from plane flying above city.

Flat area without any standing buildings is mostly Ghetto area destroyed to last brick after Ghetto Uprising fall in May 43

Warsaw Uprising have place between 1 August – 2 October 1944 (2 months and 1 day). Polish resistance Home Army have ~40,000 armed soldiers.

I was lucky enough to visit this museum (and see the movie) while in Poland for our pre-mobilization training with a Polish Army unit. One of the amazing things is the museum is very new (within the last decade) as the Soviets wouldn't allow the Polish to celebrate much of their history. While they were generally OK with the parts on German atrocities, they didn't want to promote Polish nationalism, and also too many things (including the Warsaw Uprising) had negative implications for the Soviets as well. Luckily many brave Poles were able to hide artifacts/pictures/documents for decades to preserve their heritage.

Going to one of the memorials in Warsaw that talked about the Katyn massacre was also haunting. I actually bought a Polish DVD of the movie Katyn (with English subtitles, my Polish wasn't that good). The tragedy of families destroyed, half killed by the Germans, and the other half the Russians, and then the survivors unable to mourn either publically.
Just when I get the hang of a game, I buy two more... :)
Nami Koshino

Post by Nami Koshino »

ORIGINAL: koniu

That animation is both haunting and heartbreaking at the same time. :(

One can't help but weep for valiant Poland's predicament in the war. Geography was not on it's side.
Rice is a great snack when you're hungry and you want 2,000 of something to eat.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”