A very good documentary series on Youtube - Battle 360

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Sieppo

A very good documentary series on Youtube - Battle 360

Post by Sieppo »

I found this very good documentary series thinking of this game and the full episodes are found on Youtube (user Jack Striker). It tells the story of the carrier Enterprise in WW2. Obviously the content is heavily allied biased but has some awesome computer animations, technical stuff which naturally is pretty much the same as the game has (plane, ship and base specs etc) and great commentary by veterans. I watched the complete series in pretty much in one sitting and enjoyed it a lot. Here is the first episode:

Battle 360 Episode 1 - "Call to Duty"

http://youtu.be/wl6WmNMzo7Q
> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.
Rising-Sun

RE: A very good documentary series on Youtube - Battle 360

Post by Rising-Sun »

Its a good video, i seen it couple years ago, so its not new. That a lot of them on youtube, glad they didnt take them down yet.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

It's History Channel, so it's pretty awfully WHURGH!, but the interviews with the veterans are always good.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

It's History Channel, so it's pretty awfully WHURGH!, but the interviews with the veterans are always good.

Yes. I often think that it is ironical that from ALL channels, it calls itself THE HISTORY channel [:D]..

About the historical content of the series - I'm pretty new to the concept of the war in the Pacific, so it clarified for example Guadalcanal and it's meaning to me and how the US went onward from there. But as I said, it pretty much gives the picture, that the allies won every battle and the whole war without much resistance from the tactically, skill wise and technologically inferior Japanese.
> A diamond?
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

I watched it on the "History Channel" as well as the other 360 title (Patton I think)... IMHO the best description would be "lightweight history / realism" at best...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

EAT HOT LEAD! WHURGH!
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

I watched it on the "History Channel" as well as the other 360 title (Patton I think)... IMHO the best description would be "lightweight history / realism" at best...

Leo "Apollo11"

Reminded me of a computer game, a bit like this with all the specs etc. That's why I labeled it "good" :). I've started watching Patton also.
> A diamond?
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

Yes. I often think that it is ironical that from ALL channels, it calls itself THE HISTORY channel [:D]..

I'm just barely old enough to remember when History had actual history shows pretty much 24/7. Actual programming with footage from the night battles off Guadalcanal, air raid footage, etc. And of course lots of Holocaust/Hitler stuff.

This must've been....mid-90s, I think. I spent a lot of those years outside or in after school activities, but I had the odd day (early release days when my friends were busy?) where I was able to enjoy eating a second lunch (I eat like a fatty) and watch some historical miniseries, before the term miniseries was even "invented".

If they hadn't charged $90 for the set of videos, I probably would've bought more than one or two in their store.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Well, it IS also known as The Hitler Channel.

With all the guitar rock in the background, and unironic use of phrases like "Hammer of Hell", it just can't get out of the silly box any more.
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

Well, it IS also known as The Hitler Channel.

With all the guitar rock in the background, and unironic use of phrases like "Hammer of Hell", it just can't get out of the silly box any more.

Not to mention ANCIENT ALIENS [:D]! Love that dude with the hair and his logic..
> A diamond?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”