anti-cheating system

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

JeremyB

anti-cheating system

Post by JeremyB »

I was wondering if there was any intention to improve the anti-cheating system for future versions.
I have played a couple of server games with an old-time friend, and we have no problem with allowing to reload with making some sort of mistake, the most common one being moving a whole stack when only wanting to move a unit, and sometimes the attack cursor ending up on an hex adjacent to the one we intended to assault.
As my friend pointed out, we had received no notification whatsoever, and, we might well have been replaying critical combat resolutions, for all the computer knows.
Effective anti-cheating is essential not only because I mistrust my opponents – although I confess I’d like to feel confident on that aspect before engaging in a 200+ hours campaign with an unknown server adversary . I also want to make sure that my opponent won’t be inclined to suspect me of such villainy if I was to perform very well…
Joel Billings

RE: anti-cheating system

Post by Joel Billings »

Matrix's system is automatic and allows a certain amount of reloading. At some point it throws up red flags and warnings, and can lead to someone looking into the details and taking action. I don't know what plans Matrix has regarding the server system (actually it's the Slitherine server system that Matrix is using).
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
javats

RE: anti-corruption system and etiquette

Post by javats »

What is the proper etiquette for these situations. In the past (boardgames) one just asked your opponent for redo/takeback.
These redoes could range from mis-understanding of the game rules to a action (blunder) that would end a good game.
With computerizing of games has been just great, removing a lot of headaches , you can argue with designer/developer, but now you and opponent can just get into the game.
I am especially like the GG-WITE "U" command (either you can or not)

This brings us to the point I do NOT consider cheating, But is it proper etiquette?, redo of turns because of the few mistakes that can still be made as referenced by JeremyB
A suggestion would be ask your opponent for a reload and why it is needed but this does use a lot of time, but keep it a as gentleman game.

On the other handle i do wish there was some type of security hashing for code/data corruption. It does not have to be at the level to stop it, but just show original does not match current .
This also be used to show a reload was needed and done. Also your opponent approval of reload.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”