OT: A Tribute to GreyJoy

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

HexHead

OT: A Tribute to GreyJoy

Post by HexHead »

I’ve read about halfway through the GreyJoy vs Rader AAR and have become inspired to post a small drollery:

April 14th, 1962
The studio of a major news network, New York

“Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. This is Edward R. Thorough, and this is How We Got Here. With me tonight, twenty years after he assumed responsibility for all Allied operations in Asia and the Pacific, sometimes known as ‘The Architect of Victory,’ please join me in welcoming the man known to all simply as ‘GreyJoy’. Welcome, GreyJoy.”

“Thank you, Mr. Thorough.”

“As some of the classified details of the struggle in the East start to come to light, what can you tell us about your thinking, especially in the dark days at the beginning of the war?”

“Well, what I can share is that after the Joint Chiefs appointed me COMINCHPACASIA, I knew we were in serious trouble. It was all I could do to get my hands on the situation. By the time I, my staff, and commanders had started to get a true appreciation, we had, essentially, lost Asia. Luckily, we were facing the Napoleon of the East, Count Rader, a true genius who was the victim of his own success.”

“An interesting remark. Care to elaborate?”

“Count Rader, as you know, is an urbane, peaceful man, forced to draw his sword on behalf of his country. His leadership, planning, and execution are second to none. It seems, though, he forgot a maxim of Sun-Tzu’s.”

“Sun-Tzu? Who is he?”

“He wrote The Art of War, about 2500 years ago, Mr. Thorough. The point is, Count Rader forgot the you can have too much pitching – or, as the Master said, ‘Never eat anything bigger than your head.’ The Japanese were too successful, much too quickly. I decided to use some jujitsu and use his own momentum to dislocate him. When, for reasons I cannot share at present, he failed to drive on Karachi, I was able to start the development of the Allied air forces in the East, the instrument of final success.”

“Amazing! I understand quite a few of the experts at the time doubted you immensely. I remember the imprecations in the press: “Groundhog GreyJoy”, “The Klutz in Karachi”, just some tremendous disbelief in you.”

“Well, we live in a free society – that’s what we fought for.”

“From what is now public, I understand that a key event was the arrival of seventy British Spitfires in the summer of 1942.”

“Yes, what were called the Mark Eights, Mr. Thorough. Those pilots, and their brethren, showed the way and forged the spear.”

“One last question before we go to a commercial break. I understand intelligence may have been pivotal.”

“I can’t say very much, Mr. Thorough, but I can say that having semi-literate typists at all levels of command fooled the Japanese completely.”

“A short example, perhaps?”

“Well, they couldn’t tell what we going after – they couldn’t find ‘Scoodra’ on their maps and had no idea who 'McHartur' was.”

“Fascinating! We’ll be right back, after these words from Datsun Motors.”
"Goddamn it, they're gittin' away!!"
- unknown tincan sailor near the end of Leyte Gulf, when Kurita retired
Canoerebel

RE: OT: A Tribute to GreyJoy

Post by Canoerebel »

[:)]

Here's an excerpt from a GreyJoy interview in the December 15, 1979 issue of Time magazine.

"I was totally flummoxed at the outset of the war. The Japanese ran roughshod through China and India and then somehow managed to march a division across the Owen-Stanley Mountains to take Port Moresby. Nobody thought that was possible. I was beginning to doubt myself, so I besought the advice of experts. 'Don't be too aggressive!' one would say. 'You must be aggressive!' another would chime in. 'Invade the Marshalls' a third would exclaim. 'The Marshalls are a dead-end, invade Sumatra!' a fourth would vigorously admonish.'

"I muddled my way up the Solomons chain, cutting my teeth on sharp, hot air and sea battles; learning my way; feeling my way; teaching myself how the system worked; learning how my opponent thought."

"And then one day I had this nutso idea to invade Hokkaido and the Kuriles. Oh, I had a little bit of sage counsel from this wild Irishman codenamed 'Omen,' but the entire operation - the success or the failure - would fall on my shoulders."

"But heck, I'm an Italian, I have dozens of winsome lasses lining up to console me if things go wrong, and so I pulled the trigger. And what an epic battle that became!"
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
HexHead

Post by HexHead »

Hirsute signorinas, IIRC.
"Goddamn it, they're gittin' away!!"
- unknown tincan sailor near the end of Leyte Gulf, when Kurita retired
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Can anyone point me to the April 1, 1980 interview in Playboy magazine, where GreyJoy talks about amphibious operations at Cock's Bazaar?
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Or the article in Rolling Stone where he comes clean about his fetish for hairy women.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Look, stop this now! How will you all feel when his head explodes? Will that make you happy?
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Here's today's GreyJoy fact off the internet:

GreyJoy's calendar goes straight from March 31st to April 2nd; no one fools GreyJoy.

My favourite is:

GreyJoy never retreats, he just attacks in the opposite direction.

obvert

Post by obvert »

I just got this off of the online archive of 'War Times Journal;'

[font="Trebuchet MS"]It was tough at first to fortify and expand the three conquested bases in the Kuriles, and really we knew it could outurn in a massacre! But once our CVs were back to their full operativety we struck to the core of the Empire with some 40 more transports of different natures. About the strenght of my landing forces...guys, i didn't do all those calculations...this is simply everything i have to throw to him...so it was this or nothing. Actually the worst thing you can do is to undervaluate your enemy.[/font]

Solid advice.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
czert2

Post by czert2 »

link to that aar ?
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

Some say that GreyJoy is really Chuck Norris.
czert2

Post by czert2 »

Thats lie, chuck noris is trying to pretend he is greyjoy.
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

When Alexander Bell invented the telephone, he missed three phone calls from Greyjoy
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

When Samuel Morse invented the telegraph, his first message: "Where hath GreyJoy decided to spend the evening tonight?"
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

When Samuel Morse invented the telegraph, his first message: "Where hath GreyJoy decided to spend the evening tonight?"

I think he's at a wedding reception.

(The most epic photo ever published in the AE forum IMO.) [:)]
The Moose
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

The Penguin one?

Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Encircled

The Penguin one?

Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

(click) Four minutes by stopwatch before the penguin was mentioned! [:)]

No, the one from the wedding reception where GJ was the best man. The penguin was bush leauge in comparison.

("He said BUSH!!!!!")[:)]
The Moose
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

GreyJoy is so cheerful and such a sportsman that he deserves this good-humored affection. It would be just if he stumbles across this tribute after having a tough day in the office, so that he could then be encouraged and uplifted.

[:)]
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

("He said BUSH!!!!!")[:)]

[:D] This thread is exactly what I needed today.

GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Oh guys, i'm embarassed...and touched[:)]  So many of you remember me and my hairy adventure with Rader... I really feel honoured [&o]

The penguin? Oh memories... those were times that were really worth to be lived... when you were single... and young enough not to be forced to think 24h a day about job and other RL problems... when your only daily target were pussies...i mean...girls... times when you could really feel it was usefull to have that little stick between your legs.... oh memories...are made of these!

BTW, to get back on topic, do you wanna know what i truly remember as if it was 2 minutes ago? When the japanese armies were advancing, fast like hell, towards Bombay in a piercing movement, from the north and from the south.... the whole Japanese Army was there... and there was a guy...from NW Georgia i think he was... this man kept on telling me something like " You cannot defend Karachi! Chose to defend Bombay! Karachi is already doomed! If you lose Bombay you lose the war! Your only hope is Bombay...."
My spider sense decided not to listen to him and chose Karachi instead of Bombay...gaining those more months that allowed me to live and fight another day [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
Just kidding Dan

And then there were the already mentioned "Angels over Karachi"... those british guys who won the battle of India... Sliper-Cooper was their leader...ending the war with something like 80 kills.... He then flew at Tulagi, when with his help we managed to repulse the invasion of 5 IJA division... and then at Sadogashima... when his brevery wasn't enough to prevent the sinking of the whole allied carrier fleet in late 1944.... man, those were really days of glory and passion!

Thanks guys... i really appreaciate this tribute...don't think i deserve it...but i can't deny that i'm really really happy. You made my day[:)]
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Not to forget where do we come from

Attachments
4AD1D9E41B..990CBE2B.jpg
4AD1D9E41B..990CBE2B.jpg (35.23 KiB) Viewed 66 times

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”