What Brought You To Matrix Games

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

warspite1

What Brought You To Matrix Games

Post by warspite1 »

Interesting subject particularly in light of the discussions recently on the niche aspect of wargaming and reaching out to a larger audience. So:

QUESTION

What brought people to Matrix Games?

For me it was back in 2008. I have an interest in military history - particularly WWII and Napoleonic Wars - and had been an avid board game wargamer from my late teens. This culminated in finding World In Flames - greatest game ever. Family commitments effectively ended that hobby but computer wargaming - starting with Civiiization and then John Tiller's Napoleonic games (Waterloo and War In Russia(?)) - took over.

I only stumbled across Matrix by accident through the World In Flames website. I saw the MWIF forum and that was that = been here on the Matrix forums ever since. I have bought a few games while waiting for MWIF - favourite has to be CTGW - but essentially I am filling in the time until the Holy Grail arrives.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
rodney727

RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games

Post by rodney727 »

I came to matrix and saw the great mr W. joined ten minutes later.
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: rogo727

I came to matrix and saw the great mr W. joined ten minutes later.
warspite1

[:)]

budd

Post by budd »

I don't even remember, but it had something to do with steel panthers. That was all they had back then. Played that game for over a decade straight, for some reason i just can't play it anymore. The place sure has grown alot since then.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

I don't even remember, but it had something to do with steel panthers. That was all they had back then. Played that game for over a decade straight, for some reason i just can't play it anymore. The place sure has grown alot since then.
warspite1

Were you originally around before 2009 then?

budd

Post by budd »

guested for around 8 to 10 years before joining, if i rememeber correctly. It was all Steel Panthers, that's what started this place.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

Back in 2006, right around when I was graduating high-school, I stumbled across Gary Grigsby's Pacific War, the game was a free download (probably never would have paid for something like that back then) and played it virtually non stop 3-4 hours a night for a week or two, then found War in the East and did the same. Maybe a month or two later while looking for more information on those games I stumbled across War in the Pacific, purchased it, and I've been here ever since. And yes you read that right, I came to Matrix while in High School.
Vasquez

Post by Vasquez »

Hard to say 13 years later. I think it was the same reason as **budd** (Steel Panthers World @ War). I was a huge fan of the series in the 90s.
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

I found Matrix Games about 5 years ago or so. I had Steel Panthers and played from disc on my WIN 98 computer and loved the game. I bought a new computer in 2005 with Win XP and was unable to play the game. I think I googled wargames or something like it and one of the sites was Matrix Games. When I looked at the games available, I saw Steel Panthers - Generals Edition (free I think)! I now have quite a few games from Matrix!
JRR
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

The great range and the sense that you know that Matrix Games works with and listens to its community and so i have come to expect a high standard now from their Games. I like also that they pick up and resurrect some old games - such as the Close Combat series, Harpoon editions, and John Tiller's games.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I was looking for a copy of Pacwar and put it in the search engine and it took me here. It had been so long since I played it that I was looking at War in the Pacific and thinking that was Pacwar. I eventually asked and was straightened out. Pacwar and War in Russia were free, but I ended up getting War in the Pacific, too. It looks like Forge of Freedom was my first purchase, though.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
terje439

Post by terje439 »

I found Uncommon Valor in a bin for 2$, picked it up, installed it, and did not have a clue what I was supposed to do. So I looked at the box, and found the adress to the website, came here and stayed after that really.

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

I seem to remember the free download of Steel Panthers... and then the ads for "Uncommon Valor"...
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

I was a board wargame player and migrated to PC's when I brought my first one.
A Sharif
Kineas

Post by Kineas »

It was SPWAW, around 2000. It took almost a night to download the 150M(?) release on a dialup modem...
Orm

Post by Orm »

I joined the Matrix Forum because I wanted to post on the MWIF forum. Before I posted I had lurked there for several years.

I became aware of Matrix games around year 2000 because of SPWAW and WIR:ME. First Matrix games I bought was Uncommon Valor and Korsun Pocket (my local hobby store had them and I did not buy online back then). For around 5 years Matrix games has been my primary source for computer games.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Interesting topic.

When I first got connected to the internet in 2006, the very first thing I did was search for TOAW II. I was looking to see if there were any patches for it because it would not run correctly on my xp desktop. The search brought up Matrix and TOAW III which they had released a couple of months earlier. That was when I knew for certain that God exists and that he loves me.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
meskary

Post by meskary »

It was uncommon valor that I found this site, played Steel Panthers, v for victory series, and of course Close Combat....Lurked for a while, and finally got the guts to post.
jday305

Post by jday305 »

I am a recent member of Matrix forums. I was a fan of war themed board games back in the 1980's and early 90's; mostly with squad leader and a few other types. I didn't even know that these types of games were available for the computer these days until I bought Unity of Command from the Steam website last year. I was curious after playing the game if there were other simular games out there and discovered the Matrix website. Needless to say, I am a big fan now and hope to play their games for years to come.
RebelYell

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
wodin

Post by wodin »

Combat leader and Close Assault.....[:(][&:]

Return to “General Discussion”