Civil War General now on Kickstarter

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JeanAllTrekkie

Civil War General now on Kickstarter

Post by JeanAllTrekkie »

Its Been nearly 14 years since Civil War Generals 2 - The Best Civil War Strategy Game Ever Made. Its time.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...il-war-general

We went ahead and started the The Civil War General Kickstarter Project.

Now you have the chance to back our project to develop the greatest Civil War Strategy Game ever. There has never been a civil war strategy game like this before. Never before has a civil war game unified both strategic & tactical gameplay in 1 seemless experience.

Some of The Features of Civil War General:

- Initiate Policies such as Emancipation Proclamation to determine the fate of your nation

- Engage in Diplomacy with England, France, or Mexico and try to get them to join the war on your side

- Tax your States so you can get more money to form more brigades

- Use The Railroad to deploy units to critical areas of the country quickly

- Assign leaders to brigades, divisions, corps or armies to improve their abilities

- Supply a brigade with the latest arms & gear

- Form new brigades and add them to your armies

- Take over Enemy Cities & Towns and cut off your enemies supply lines

- Utilize Terrain in combat to attain victory over your enemy

- Command and Order your armies on one of the largest Hex Based Maps

- An easy to use Zoom feature to allow you to manage both Strategic & Tactical Gameplay

You are The Commander In Chief. This is your war. What will you do?

Visit The Kickstarter to watch our Project Video and to get more information.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...il-war-general

Spread The Word!
histgamer

RE: Civil War General now on Kickstarter

Post by histgamer »

Lord knows I want this project to happen but it seems to me you're asking for far to little money, 100,000 wont be enough for what you want. You state you intend on hiring a high quality 2D artist, a programmer, still have money left over for sound licensing, and office space. You've also said you plan to do this in a year so you're planning on hiring those individuals full time. Unless you have other funding you haven't mentioned this seems like a pretty unrealistic proposal. You could possibly do something like that over 2-3 years with your programmer and coder working part time on the project and not having an office.

Also nothing against your idea because lord knows I want it, but my impression of Kickstarter is a place to get that last bit of money that puts a project that's already well underway over the top. It seems here your using Kickstarter as a venture capital group, I could be wrong here but it doesn't seem this is a valid project for Kickstarter.

You're trying to get it to fund a project from conception to completion rather than a project already well underway. It really doesn't sound like you have anything completed yet and you're asking individuals to invest a significant amount of money on a start-up with little real information on how you intend to accomplish your goals other than hiring people.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Flanyboy..lots of kickstarters are asking for the money to fund it from start to finish..I don't see an issue with that. Now whether they are asking for enough I've no idea.
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Flanyboy..lots of kickstarters are asking for the money to fund it from start to finish..I don't see an issue with that. Now whether they are asking for enough I've no idea.

Well than I stand corrected. I am not a kickstarter regular, it appears my impression was incorrect.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Link's broken.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

The link seems to be: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1370320888/civil-war-general?ref=live

I'm not sure how serious the project is, the description is sort of a mess, there's no real information and the intent is to collect 100.000 dollars in just two months. It might not be a scam, but it doesn't look like a serious project at this point.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

It looks like a triumph of enthusiasm over common sense, certainly.

catwhoorg

Post by catwhoorg »

I can't help but compare and contrast to Worlds of Magic (which just closed today and was successfully funded with some stretch goals)
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Trying to recruit a team from scratch and setup an office and buying all the equipment and software licenses to make a game which is likely to take a minimum of 18 months to complete seems ambitious with $100k. Maybe he's investing personal money as well or has another plan to help fund things. Usually the owner of an indie studio is the programmer/designer as funding a programmers salary is very expensive, which is why you don't find many artists running indie development teams. He may also find himself in trouble when Activision find out as they own the rights to all Sierra Games, of which Civil War Generals is one.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Rocko911

Post by Rocko911 »

Actually Activision doesn't exist it is a subsidiary of Vivendi. Also it happens a lot with older games that licenses and rights do not transfer upon acquisition so he may be able to actually do the game if it is considered orphan software.
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

Add legal costs to determine if they can consider it orphan software and that 100k looks even more unrealistic.
ORIGINAL: LRRP

Actually Activision doesn't exist it is a subsidiary of Vivendi. Also it happens a lot with older games that licenses and rights do not transfer upon acquisition so he may be able to actually do the game if it is considered orphan software.
JeanAllTrekkie

Post by JeanAllTrekkie »

All expenses have been factored into The 100k budget. This is the minimum amount we required to cover all our expenses.
JeanAllTrekkie

Post by JeanAllTrekkie »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Trying to recruit a team from scratch and setup an office and buying all the equipment and software licenses to make a game which is likely to take a minimum of 18 months to complete seems ambitious with $100k.

This is true, especially for many studios that are run by Project Leads that lack common sense. The company I currently work for doesnt have that problem.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Sounds great then! If you wanted to post your budget plan I'd be happy to give you feedback if you are interested, just in case there is anything you've overlooked. What platforms are you making the game for and which language/engine are you planning to use?
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
JeanAllTrekkie

Post by JeanAllTrekkie »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Sounds great then! If you wanted to post your budget plan I'd be happy to give you feedback if you are interested, just in case there is anything you've overlooked. What platforms are you making the game for and which language/engine are you planning to use?

:)

I appreciate it, but 1 habit I picked up at Apple is keeping things like that in house.

Were making the title for Mac, PC & iPad.

Anguille

Post by Anguille »

ORIGINAL: catwhoorg

I can't help but compare and contrast to Worlds of Magic (which just closed today and was successfully funded with some stretch goals)

That was a brilliant campaign...

I think the pledges and the rewards aren't well thought. Who's going to pledge 200 to 10'000 $ with such few rewards?
JeanAllTrekkie

Post by JeanAllTrekkie »

Auguille

We decided to focus on a select few rewards that we can provide rather than list numerous others that we may struggle to fulfill. I need my staff to focus on developing this title and nothing else.

And honestly I feel this project is its own reward. Providing the ultimate civil war gaming experience ever made - no bobble head can beat that. lol
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

Good luck with this. I will be one of the first to buy the completed game. Sorry, but I don't do kickstarter.
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

I second this. I haven't ever done kickstarter, I may some day but I'd need more to invest in this game but if it actually gets made I would be happy to buy it.
ORIGINAL: vonRocko

Good luck with this. I will be one of the first to buy the completed game. Sorry, but I don't do kickstarter.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

I think you need to demonstrate an ability to complete the game which the video doesn't do. Which games have you made before? Maybe list those to boost consumer confidence. Why not get a playable beta up and then do kick starter as if you only need the money to make things faster you would be best to wait 3 months and show something. I think these issues are why you only have 9 supporters so far. If you do manage to make the game with or without kick starter please get in touch as we're always interested in talking to new developers!
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

Return to “General Discussion”