What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

shunwick

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Post by shunwick »

Rogo727,

I use the World War II Databook by John Ellis (it provides basic divisional data for all the belligerents with the exception of the Chinese - date formed - deployment - date destroyed etc) as my starting point and then Google for more detailed information.

I can't remember ever seeing anything similar to the Stackpole series for the other belligerents.

Best wishes,
Steve

PS: Yikes! I have just seen the price of World War II Databook on Amazon £159.92 new. I do not remember what I paid for it new (I have had it for few years) but it was never anywhere near that price.
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

I will check it out and hope it is available in the iBook store. What I really like about digital downloads is that you can get pretty much any book at about half the price. I do have the kindle app and the nook ap and buy only when I can't buy from iBooks . I have 15 stackpole books on my iPad now. I don't know why but reading each and every German division ever formed in ww2 is very fascinating . Most but not all are written by British authors ! But anyway thank you for the tip. I found the book but its not available in ebook from yet![:(]. It looks good I will probably get it.
ORIGINAL: shunwick

Rogo727,

I use the World War II Databook by John Ellis (it provides basic divisional data for all the belligerents with the exception of the Chinese - date formed - deployment - date destroyed etc) as my starting point and then Google for more detailed information.

I can't remember ever seeing anything similar to the Stackpole series for the other belligerents.

Best wishes,
Steve
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
catwhoorg

Post by catwhoorg »

Right now.

The Cruel Sea, by Nicolas Montserrat.

Not my first time reading it, but it has been about 10 years since I picked it up.
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

Found it too starting at 135 US dollars hardback and 34.96 used! I am wondering how you set the price at 34.96!?

Rogo727,

Best wishes,
Steve

PS: Yikes! I have just seen the price of World War II Databook on Amazon £159.92 new. I do not remember what I paid for it new (I have had it for few years) but it was never anywhere near that price.
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

ORIGINAL: rogo727

Found it too starting at 135 US dollars hardback and 34.96 used! I am wondering how you set the price at 34.96!?

Rogo727,

Best wishes,
Steve

According to Amazon, I can trade-in my copy for a £1.01 gift card. That's what? A dollar 50 ?

You can buy it second-hand from Amazon UK for £8.45 very good condition though you would have to add delivery to US. That would still make it cheaper than the US second-hand price though.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Rogo727,

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

I bought that book in circa 1995 for £40 I think it was. Broke the bank to get it at the time. A few mistakes in the book, but worth having as a source of reference.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Rogo727,

Best wishes,
Steve

According to Amazon, I can trade-in my copy for a £1.01 gift card. That's what? A dollar 50 ?

You can buy it second-hand from Amazon UK for £8.45 very good condition though you would have to add delivery to US. That would still make it cheaper than the US second-hand price though.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

That Amazon trade-in is a complete joke. I would rather give a book away to charity (and I have done) rather than let them have it for such a ridiculous amount so they can re-sell for a huge mark-up [8|].

rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

This book cover all British divisions in ww2? What I would really like to see is some one cover all Russian divisions from 1941-1945
ORIGINAL: warspite1

Rogo727,

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

I bought that book in circa 1995 for £40 I think it was. Broke the bank to get it at the time. A few mistakes in the book, but worth having as a source of reference.
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

This book cover all British divisions in ww2? What I would really like to see is some one cover all Russian divisions from 1941-1945

Rogo727,

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

Rogo727,

All the warring nations except the Chinese. There is some information on the Chinese divisions that fought in the Burma theater but I think that is about all. But yes, all the Soviet divisions are there together with how and when they were reformed/renamed.

Best wishes,
Steve
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

Ordered from amazon at $45 US dollars the book said in near mint condition. I hope so! Tell you what I think in a week to ten days[:D]

warspite1

Rogo727,

All the warring nations except the Chinese. There is some information on the Chinese divisions that fought in the Burma theater but I think that is about all. But yes, all the Soviet divisions are there together with how and when they were reformed/renamed.

Best wishes,
Steve
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
slpatgun

Post by slpatgun »

Reading "The approach to the Philippines" by Robert Ross Smith. One of the "Big Green Books, The US Army in WWII, Office of the Chief of Military History, Department of the Army".[:)]
Lot's of info on a little known part of the Pacific War.
DampSquib

Post by DampSquib »

Kill Anything That Moves - Nick Turse.
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

"Wake Up Dead" by Megadeth.

lol...wrong post
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Listing 21st Panzer as spending the entire war on the Eastern Front is the one boneheaded goof that still makes me worry about the whole thing. But I still use it. The production figures, in particular, have come in handy on some projects.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Listing 21st Panzer as spending the entire war on the Eastern Front is the one boneheaded goof that still makes me worry about the whole thing. But I still use it. The production figures, in particular, have come in handy on some projects.
warspite1

For me it was the losses during the Hunt for Bismarck. Battleships include Battlecruisers (as per the book's explanation) but apparently HMS Hood was a cruiser.... The RN also lost a destroyer - I've no idea which one.

shunwick

Post by shunwick »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Bob,

Mistakes are inevitable. This is why trusting only in a single source is dangerous. Even trusting multiple sources does not guarantee accuracy. It is possible to see some mistakes repeated across several sources. Even original documents contain errors.

Nothing is more fraught with inaccuracies, lies, balderdash, and humbug than History. Military History is even murkier.

But you know all this.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

One of the authors that actually got me reading in my youth has passed away.

James Herbert.

I think I will have to buy The Dark again. Qualiteeee [&o]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21870413
warspite1

Couldn't find The Dark so bought Ash instead. 100 pages in and so far so good [:)]
warspite1

Just Finished Ash. A thoroughly entertaining read and I would recommend for those fans of the horror genre.

Next up its the latest biography of Lady Thatcher.
warspite1

...and what a superb, very balanced, read it is too. I would recommend this, whichever side of the political fence you sit.

SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

Bob,

Mistakes are inevitable. This is why trusting only in a single source is dangerous. Even trusting multiple sources does not guarantee accuracy. It is possible to see some mistakes repeated across several sources. Even original documents contain errors.

Nothing is more fraught with inaccuracies, lies, balderdash, and humbug than History. Military History is even murkier.

But you know all this.

Best wishes,
Steve
Very astute observation Mr Shunwick. Very astute indeed. Now if only Warspite1 would pay attention to this, we'd have a good campaign going.
Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

Just finished my Anzac day read "Hell's Bell's and Mademoiselles" -the personal memoirs of Lt Joe Maxwell VC

http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/book/h ... /37139104/

Not really much of a history - more of a series of recollections from someone who went from private to Lt and picked up a string of medals on the way.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

A Blaze of Glory by Jeff Shaara. A Novel of the Battle of Shiloh
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

Return to “General Discussion”