Future of Distant Worlds

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

republicofpepsi

Future of Distant Worlds

Post by republicofpepsi »

Can someone comment on what is planned for the future of Distant Worlds? Will we see more expansions to the current engine, or is there a 'new from the ground up' Distant Worlds in our future? No specifics, I just want to know that Distant Worlds will have a long future ahead of it.

In my opinion, Distant Worlds is one of the gems in the Matrix collection. There is nothing else out there that matches the complexity and 'living universe' of Distant Worlds.
Tyrador

RE: Future of Distant Worlds

Post by Tyrador »

Ever heard of Stardrive?
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

ORIGINAL: Tyrador

Ever heard of Stardrive?

I had hopes for this but it seems to be getting lukewarm at best reviews / forum comments from what I've seen so saving my money to spend on Shadows instead.

P.S. don't mean to derail this thread with a DW vs. SD discussion - that discussion might make an interesting thread in it's self however.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: republicofpepsi
Can someone comment on what is planned for the future of Distant Worlds? Will we see more expansions to the current engine, or is there a 'new from the ground up' Distant Worlds in our future? No specifics, I just want to know that Distant Worlds will have a long future ahead of it.

In my opinion, Distant Worlds is one of the gems in the Matrix collection. There is nothing else out there that matches the complexity and 'living universe' of Distant Worlds.

Thank you for the compliments. [8D]

We're about to release Distant Worlds: Shadows, the next expansion. The current plan is to have a modder-focused expansion after that and then start work on Distant Worlds 2. This is subject to change though. If Shadows and the modder-focused expansion do very well we may look at extending DW 1 a bit further, but we'd really like to do a new engine to show what we can do.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Tried SD, and it is rather like a snack. Meanwhile DW is a 4 course meal.

I play both, when I want light mindless entertainment SD comes in handy. If I want to be challenged DW all the way. If only there was a way to convert all those now antique Mods to work with Legends all would be perfect.
republicofpepsi

Ever heard of Stardrive?

I own it, but in my opinion it is just a different scale of game. The civilian economy and resource production tree in Distant Worlds is unmatched in other space 4x's. My only wish for Distant Worlds is for that resource tree to be a little more apparent and difficult...like the Anno series.

Thank-you Erik for the followup. I look forward to years of more Distant Worlds!
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I hope Shadows and the Mod expansion is just "right" in success, then.

I think a new engine and an option to "reset" the total package price would be quite good. As long as "DW2" can be thrown together in a reasonable amount of time. Hopefully some reuse will be possible.
republicofpepsi

I agree, it is time for a new engine. A new engine and the ability to visualize the production chain better. In turn, we should have to fight more often for resources. In most games its either feast or famine. I hate to belabor my Anno comparison, but something akin to that.

I just hope the new engine remains 2D in imagery but is something that can take the burden off the CPU and onto the GPU. (Something like AI War's engine change) 3D killed my previous favorite 4X (Space Empires).
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

I think DW could still use another expansion adding sophisticated internal politics and diplomacy based on the Paradox game model.Claims and A war goals system like in EU3/4 would be a perfect fit for this game.More immersion to the living galaxy adding many monsters types,random events and planet specials.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I am no graphics programmer, but 2D in a 3D engine would probably be nice. It just have to be easy for Elliot (and modders) too.

I don't mind the graphics at all but some things would not hurt:

- Faster
- Better scrolling
- Away with media player reliance.

I hope the mod expansion is a way to prepare the core items for an engine upgrade. I don't want a reinvented DW, just a "fresher" one, so bringing the logic core along would not hurt at all...

Buio

Post by Buio »

ORIGINAL: CyclopsSlayer
Tried SD, and it is rather like a snack. Meanwhile DW is a 4 course meal.

I play both, when I want light mindless entertainment SD comes in handy. If I want to be challenged DW all the way. If only there was a way to convert all those now antique Mods to work with Legends all would be perfect.
I don't think it is a fair comparison. To get Distant Worlds up to course meal level you need all expansions, which costs 696 SEK here in Sweden. Stardrive costs 230 SEK. Stardrive is in its infancy while Distant Worlds soon has it's third expansion.

If you browse the web for Distant Worlds reviews from 2010 when it was released, it didn't get as high praise back then. But it shows you what continued support for a game can do. Another example of games that has improved a lot with continued support is Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes, which is an enormous amount better than the original Elemental game. Endless Space is also coming along fine, looking forward to the expansion.

I like both games. I think Stardrive has the potential to become great with time. It's already good in my opinion. As for Distant Worlds, I'm really exited for the Shadows expansion.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

I think DW could still use another expansion adding sophisticated internal politics and diplomacy based on the Paradox game model.Claims and A war goals system like in EU3/4 would be a perfect fit for this game.More immersion to the living galaxy adding many monsters types,random events and planet specials.
Hear! Hear! I want my Paradox-style politics in space!
madflava13

Post by madflava13 »

I just picked up Legends myself... Been away from this game too long. Enjoying it immensely!
"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."
Antiscamp

Post by Antiscamp »

Some detailed internal politics with political factions, problems and decisions would be a great idea to continue building on Distant Worlds. Also, more attention to diplomacy in conjunction with such an updated political simulation would be nice to see. I see lots of interesting possibilities for a strategy game of this magnitude in that political/diplomatic department.

I am also really glad to hear that Distant Worlds 2 is being planned!
republicofpepsi

As much as developers try, I've really never seen a good diplomacy mechanic. A simple update would maybe to be to introduce some randomness as to whether AI's like you or not. Would make for some interesting unlikely ally games.

I do hope that Distant Worlds 2 would incorporate some sort of jump in/out multiplayer. So someone could open their game up and allow a friend to take over a specific AI for a bit. Distant Worlds and other epic 4X's are almost impossible to play to full term...but a drop in/out mechanic like the original SOTS would be fun. It would need some server defined rules so that a random person couldn't change the diplomatic settings so that your strong ally wouldn't turn on you because a player popped in...but it would give a big boost to "AI" if at times you were fighting a real person if only for an hour or so. With Shadows, a new player could spawn as a pirate faction, etc.
Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

I've wanted more diplomatic depth for a long time but, none of the expansions have delivered it. I don't really know why this is and, I'm not saying I don't like the added tech, component, concept depth either...I just want diplomacy that is more than the equivalent of body gestures and grunting. I just think that for some reason civilization simulations whether in space or terrestrial based all seem to skimp on diplomacy and it's irritating/infuriating since diplomacy is key to a civilizations survival.
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson
Mad Igor

Post by Mad Igor »

Ever heard of Stardrive?
you probably never played one of those games,cuz if you had,you would never compare them.
next time do your homework b4 talking.
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
we'd really like to do a new engine to show what we can do.

Regards,

- Erik
you haz my wallet.(if only i had one.lolololo)
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Well, I'm guessing (I'm no AI programmer) that the problem with complex diplomacy is that it's fuzzier than other aspects of the game. An AI can be pretty damn good at tweaking an economy to be optimal, since it's just optimizing numbers. Diplomacy, on the other hand, is messy.

But nevertheless, it's always at the top of my list of desires. Perhaps that's why I like CK2 so much.
Hawawaa

Post by Hawawaa »

Eric as long as there is more expansions for DW you have my money! (same for DW2) [:)]

I only want to beg you for coop/multiplayer. I understand that single player gamers outnumber the multiplayer gamers player base. They should be made happy first. But at the very end please add multiplayer. (begs and throws money) [&o]
Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

Well, I'm guessing (I'm no AI programmer) that the problem with complex diplomacy is that it's fuzzier than other aspects of the game. An AI can be pretty damn good at tweaking an economy to be optimal, since it's just optimizing numbers. Diplomacy, on the other hand, is messy.

But nevertheless, it's always at the top of my list of desires. Perhaps that's why I like CK2 so much.

I haven't played CK2 but, from what I've seen on Youtube it places too much emphasis on diplomacy between noblemen within your own empire. I'm not too fond of the idea of having to bribe the Duke of York to defend York in my name.

I do however like the idea of being able to give/sell units, form larger multiparty alliances like NATO, negotiating demilitarized zones, having multi-empire negotiations, conducting joint wargames with allies to build ties, generate experience and, to intimidate rivals.

I would also like to be able to build embassy's and, consulates. Sign secret treaty's. Arms limitations treaty's.

This is not diplomacy related but, the idea of having biological and nano weapons would be nice. Spreading plague to the worlds of your enemy's would be a cool touch.

A lot of this stuff has been mentioned years ago now and, we still haven't seen it. Don't get me wrong...I love what we have I just don't know why we haven't been thrown a bone on some of this stuff...including artificial world construction, star destroying, wormholes, jumpgates etc...etc...
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”