Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't...

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lokasenna

RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't...

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

1. There is a small group of regulars who dominate the postings in the General Discussion forum.

2. That small group is smaller than the regulars who post on the AE forum and more often than not their posts are content free zones. There is very little cross forum postings.

3. AE regulars clearly spend time playing AE. For many of the General Discussion regulars, despite their often boisterous claims, it is not obvious that they actually spend much time playing games. Very few seem to be interested in the more complex Matrix games, nor do they seem to apply themselves to coping with complexity.

4. Far too many over there just like to bump up their post numbers. Consequently they love to repeat ad infinitum sterile positions, tilting at windmills (as if the current Slitherine management is going to change any of the practices which they have run for the last decade), and availing themselves of being unnecessarily abusive to each other which they may think is humorous but in fact is not at all.

5. People come to the AE forum for assistance in how to play the game. Newbies generally receive prompt and polite attention. Most threads here are content full. This all sets a certain unspoken standard which is generally adhered to whereas there is no focus on the General Discussion forum.

6. I'm certain most of the AE regulars have a view on Sitherine's pricing policy. But it is a pointless subject to discuss. AE regulars don't regularly splurge out on buying too many other Matrix products per annum. The unit cost is high but the cost per gaming hour is incredibly low so what is the point of complaining. The amortisation cost of AE is incredible low; those on the General Discussion forum who complain have much higher amortisation costs because of the nature of the games they purchase and their too easy cast off approach.

7. I've tried to follow Slitherine's pricing arguments and they are just plain wrong but their error will not be obvious to them for several years. They conflate initial stock pricing with back catalogue pricing. They fail to directly address links to other game developers/publishers who demonstrate their product life cycle revenues which contradict Slitherine's position. Those are links to other so called "niche" markets/products too. No other industry operates how Slitherine claims market demand and supply operates. No marketing class supports Slitherine's assertions. But ultimately it is all irrelevant. If I want a game of the standard of AE I have no option but to come here (hint hint Symon there would be a true niche market for a commercial version of DaBabes) and because of the factors mentioned in point 6, the cost is acceptable.

8. And no, I'm not really interested in going over the same sterile arguments re pricing here.

Alfred

Indeed. I don't have any idea what the argument is on the general boards, but I also don't care because the AE section is all that matters... Until I clicked over to the main site just now, I thought "Slitherine" was actually a nickname meant to disparage the Powers That Be.

My perception of Matrix is that they are to computer strategy/warfare what Fantasy Flight Games is to board games - expensive, but you get what you pay for (in these cases at least). I may pay $95 for AE or $80 for FFG's Descent, but I'm going to get far more enjoyment out of them than the equivalent spent on: 6.33 months of an MMO, one year subscription to XBox Live, or even 1.5 purchases of most stand-alone PC titles (at $60 each).
ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
Okay, I admit it. I use you guys. Shamelessly. But affectionately.

Isn't that what forums are for? [;)]

Oh, yeah! The South Carolina governor who told his staff and family he was out hiking the Appalachian Trail when he was actually flying to Argentina on state funds to meet his "soul mate." Well, he's married now to his soul mate and I think he's running for Congress.

And his wife is doing an excellent job of sabotaging it. I'm loving it!
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Don't cross the vindictive EX-wife of a Politician...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

AE is the one game I come back to once and again. It is the one game that makes me THINK, and think HARD. The cost was no object. And, when thinking is not enough, there is always you guys to ask :)
On the other hand, games not of this caliber might not be worth high price tags. But to each his/her own. AE was definitely worth every penny. Others? Some. Not all.
Tenno Heika Banzai!
LST Express

Post by LST Express »

Could give a hoot about the price, I love the game. The forum is interesting most of the time too.
Skyros

Post by Skyros »

Especially a rich and powerful one.[:D]
When I consider what I spent on board games over the years, PacWar, WITP and AE were a steal. Plus I only buy other titles when it is the Christmas sale[:'(]
ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Don't cross the vindictive EX-wife of a Politician...
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Re: the pricing thread on the General Forum-meh. These things get started every few months or so. Usually some disaffected person wants to criticize Matrix pricing policy because they're not giving their stuff away for free. Boo hoo. Matrix et. al. have a business to run-I've no problem with them pricing to what the market bears. Limited sympathy for those (usually noobs) that expect something for nothing and are too impatient to listen to the rationale for the pricing policy.

Re: the General Forum-I could take it or leave it. There are a few pleasant chaps. One of them, I'll just call him HMS Resolution1, is a very pleasant chap. Another, I'll call him Permanutsy, is also entertaining. Their banter makes the General Forum worth dipping an occasional toe into. 90% of the General Forum stuff is just tripe.

The forum here (the AE site) is addictive as hell. I spend way too much time here learning about the game or (as Kayak Johnnie pointed out) the very interesting people that play this game. Great breadth and depth of knowledge about militaria and other aspects of life experiences. Those that I've met in person (5 and counting) are affable and personable. A select few are fast, probably lifelong, friends. Sure, we have our inanity (the THREAD) and occasional trolls, but no forum or subforum would really be the same without them, would it?

Tip o' the hat to you guys-you make this forum what it is!
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

What is amazing about this game and the forum that feeds off of it is the support. Matrix updates, changes and modifies the game due to our feedback. Now this is done in other games, but not to the extent done here. It is a reflection of the people involved, as they are just that, involved!!! Like in any grouping, as social scientists would argue, there is about 10% who disrupt or don't play by the rules. Amazingly in this group the percent if far lower! Maybe we should be studied (dissect Alfred???). But in truth the underscored and "unsung" valued here is to be helpful. The game is a dynamic concept ever evolving and we are part of the evolution. And as indicated in this thread already, it is worth the money and more importantly the time (which is the ultimate of gifts one can give). If you think about it, a high quality meal for you and your significant other is about $80-$100(US). If you are careful and pace yourself it will last an hour (before the "server" stands by your table urging you to get moving). So in that respect given those parameters WITP-AE is beyond worth it. Finally you are right, it makes you THINK. If I'm going to only pass through this "ether" once I don't want it to be done wasting my time doing "mindless" things like watching TV. Here I have fun, I'm challenged, I think, and I learn. What more is there.... Ok, maybe ONE other thing.... but that's a separate thread.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

And his wife is doing an excellent job of sabotaging it. I'm loving it!

That's one way to look at it.

Ex-wife, current owner of the home in quesiton . . .
The Moose
Phanatikk

Post by Phanatikk »

I will say I cringe to imagine what WiF will cost when it comes out. I may harvest someone's organs...
pmelheck1

Post by pmelheck1 »

I tend to try and avoid the general thread but I think Matrix is doing a good job as they are still here. If higher prices are the price to be paid for superior support then I'll happily pay them. I don't expect to buy a Mercedes product at a Pinto price. But lets not focus on this to long before we attract attention of some of our more rebel rousing members from other treads. How bout them Japanese Destroyers...

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

[&:]

I'm referring to the former Governor of your neighboring state, Mark Sanford. He had this story he was hiking the Appalachian trail when he was actually in Argentina cheating on his wife. [:D]

USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

<snip>

The AE Forumites discuss topics like "lost loves" and "who's really responsible for the loss at Gettysburg" intelligently and with good humor and grace, seldom if ever uttering a harsh word.

<snip>

Canoe, you're confused. Gettysburg was a resounding victory! [:'(]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: LST Express

Could give a hoot about the price, I love the game. The forum is interesting most of the time too.

+1 [;)]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

I just wrote a $17,000 check to the IRS, $7,000 to the county, $1,500 to Allstate and $212 every month the HOA. I don't ever recall having warm fuzzies about any of those "investments". On the other hand, AE is the best wargame ever invented and I have spent at least 1000 hours enjoying the thing. I even bought 2 copies because my computer crashed and I did not want to wait 3 days to get a new copy of the game.

That works out to less than 17 cents per hour. I just spent the equivalent of the purchase price of the game to go deep sea fishing. I got seasick and didn't catch anything.

What kind of loser does one have to be to complain about the cost of a game online? Really?

I will lay cash money that half of the complainers are sales clerks at head shops and the domestic ones are probably texting their complainst from their Obamaphones.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

What kind of loser does one have to be to complain about the cost of a game online? Really?

Well, I am jealous. But don't feel too bad for me. My lot in life is looking up. I'm moving into a larger cardboard box and I'm adding a sunroom made of newspapers.

Skyros

Post by Skyros »

Interesting tidbit from that discussion.

As was explained at release, the reference to the tutorial was an editing error. The 300+ page manual, largest we've still printed to date (until World in Flames is released), is there for you though. That said, a new manual is actually in the works for AE, and hopefully will be ready before the next reprint.

AE was a community project from start to finish, so I think it's fair to say that without some very talented and skilled members of the commmunity, AE would not even exist. While we at Matrix and 2by3 love WITP at that point 2by3 did not have time to revisit WITP on their own. I think the number of folks who are playing it speaks to the fact that it can be learned just fine. Figuring out how to play it is not that hard - playing it well is much more challenging and experience and discussion with other players is the best aid there. A new tutorial or larger manual would be of limited use, there's only so much that can really be explained without practice.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 4/29/2013 6:27:59 PM >

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development and Business Relations

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to dutchman55555)
MineSweeper

Post by MineSweeper »

AE best game - best forum.....nuff said [:)]

AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

I'd happily pay 3 times as much for an new version. And am very happy with the price of the current. Anybody notice that the card board counter version that this game was based on sells for over $400! [X(]

I rarely pay attention to the general fourms, unless directed there by my fellow WITP fans. Sometimes when I visit them I feel my IQ dropping just by reading them. [:(]
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Well, I am jealous. But don't feel too bad for me. My lot in life is looking up. I'm moving into a larger cardboard box and I'm adding a sunroom made of newspapers.

Oh, that sounds lovely! Maybe some M C Escher prints to round things out?
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

I forgot to mention the educational value of AE. For example, I never knew that Aden was an 80x40 mile walled fortress with an absolutely lovely 500 mile long reflecting pond!

I'd very much like to visit.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”