Constant game crashing

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderator: doomtrader

17russia

Constant game crashing

Post by 17russia »

I am using windows 7. ToR worked fine but ToF keeps crashing, I have re-installed game and re-downloaded game updates but still crashes. Never can get past 1941
“I got a great deal on some French WW2 army surplus guns. Never used and only dropped once...”
doomtrader

RE: Constant game crashing

Post by doomtrader »

Hi,

Which version are you playing? Which scenario?
17russia

Post by 17russia »

The grand campain. Ver 1.04 have tried playing germany, Italy. Crashes between turns usually after some event message or just after the convoy screen
“I got a great deal on some French WW2 army surplus guns. Never used and only dropped once...”
17russia

Post by 17russia »

The computer exceeds all of the requirements by far.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

I'm convinced that the game is either failing to load save games completely, failing to load unit images, or there is some kind of mismatch between constant files and scenario files.

Now this is like black magic, but it works for me in my crashes on load: I startup a new campaign game, quick setup, choose axis, let it go to the map screen, then exit to the main menu and load my saved game.

I know you have not mentioned a load of save game problem, but who knows what's going on. Try the above.

So if the devs are working on anything for this game right now, it should be these save game load problems, any other crashes that can be duplicated, and the routing of convoys around the Horn instead of through the MED and/or putting the Cairo MSS back in the game, and taking convoy routing out of the Bay of Biscay.

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

I am having CTDs with 1.04 when loading saved games, not too surprised as the games were started in earlier versions of TOF. I am also doing some scenario editing and when I load the scenario in the game to check the work, it almost always has CTD.

This has happened with editing in other versions of the game, however, so far I have always been able to get saved games, or edited scenarios, to work eventually by starting TOF in 'Custom Start', loading a stock scenario, hitting 'Back', as soon as it loads, sometimes let it go to the game map and 'Return to Main Menu', then select the modded scenario, or saved game, I had really wanted.

It almost always works first time, but sometimes needs two attempts. The CTDs mostly happen at about the 80% scenario/game load mark, where it sticks for a long time, with I guess a lot of data to load, but it runs through faster, after you have already previously loaded something.

I am using Windows 7, doubt if it is a system problem.
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Yesterday I was editing Fall Gelb, just map changes, and although I had CTDs whilst loading the scenario occasionally to check how it looked, last night it was working OK. This morning the modded scenario would not run, failed at about 20% load mark, if it got beyond that, failed at 80%.

I noticed that on the opening scenario screen the 'description' for the modded Fall Gelb scenario had lines of text missing, I pasted a new copy of the 'info.ini' file from the original Fall Gelb and the modded scenario worked. I then did some more small editing map adjustments, saved scenario in the editor and the description text error returned.

Is the game corrupting data on save, in this case it's 'save scenario' after editing, but if it can leave out text, what other data may be missing after a save and could this be the reason for some of the CTDs happening after players have got games going. [&:]

P.S. looking at files, found the modded scenario 'commanders.csv' file scrambled, did not work on this file, didn't touch commanders, or units, just minor geographic changes, but the save seems to be corrupted.
[&:][&:]

P.P.S. It's names having letters with accents, although I didn't change any of these .csv files, or names, but when the scenario files were saved by the editor, the commander names and place names with accents (French, Czech, etc.) were scrambled, mostly with few odd characters, but sometimes with nearly a line of corrupted characters, which may be what is crashing the game.

Is it my version of Excel ? At least I know the problem, now how to fix it, as saving games and editing scenarios always means copying .csv files. The strange thing is that sometimes things work OK, then for no reason they crash, did a lot of editing yesterday with some CTDs, but it always worked eventually. Just changed a couple of things (river lines) today and the scenario would not load any more. Done a lot of small scale modding and never noticed this before. Is this what has been making the editor so difficult to use ?

[&:][&:][&:]

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Corrected files, got the edited scenario to run, sometimes works, sometimes not, but previous experience indicates that when I get a game going with some turns and saves done, it's usually stable. However, I was able to get what I wanted for a revised Fall Gelb, now to work on Gotterdammerung.

Still not entirely sure where the CTDs are coming from, but using the editor is definitely a roller-coaster ride, editing the files direct is much better, but I need the editor for map changes.

Yesterday I did a lot of map editing and previously when changing sea zone names, did dozens of game starts, to check how the map changes were looking in the game screen. Hardly had a problem, yet today it's taken all day just to do a couple of river line changes and get the revised scenario to run, but once it is running it seems OK. [:)]

Return to “Tech Support”