Please stop or had enough use whichever you like

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

sullafelix

Please stop or had enough use whichever you like

Post by sullafelix »

People it is one thing to have a discussion about pricing and being rude and obnoxious.

I am sorry if some of you had a a bad experience or feel you have been cheated by Matrix or whatever.

When Ageod joined the Slitherine group they decided on a price for Ageod's games that had already been released.

It is totally up to you if you wanted to voice your unhappiness or disagreement with the above, which many people did.

But most did it in a polite manner not meaning to enflames passions or other people.

The large majority of us on the forum have had great experiences with Matrix's customer service. So many of us are quite aware that we could have gotten a Matrix game for X$s at one time or somewhere else but we are not upset to pay more for the customer service we receive here.

Please when posting here or anywhere try to take a step back and look at the post and see if it is something you would say in person to who you want it read by. The lack of personal contact when emailing,posting or whatever sometimes leads to us type out things we would have never said out loud or at least we would have tempered the remarks.

We are a very small community in the world with many people thinking we wargamers are sick twisted neo-nazis's etc. because of our hobby.

It seems foolish to me to try to further break up our small hobby into even smaller camps that spit venom at each other when just because a post has been done from someone from the other " side ".

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Sarge

RE: Please stop or had enough use whichever you like

Post by Sarge »

[8|]
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

What is really crazy is that we are talking about games. Just games. Not life support.

And the prices we are discussing. Less than dinner for 4. Sporting event tickets? Live theatre? Concerts? Ever toss a couple of 20s at a slot machine? Buy a round at a bar? A tire for your car? Week's worth of groceries?

Childish really.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
wodin

Post by wodin »

Wish people stopped thinking it's about saving money..it isn't...it's about increasing sales..bringing in new customers and bringing in some money for the developers of the old games.

Nothing childish about that.

Anyway we have well enough threads on this.

Anyway I agree with Sulla..things do need to calm down now abit..the discussion on price and bundles etc has been a great debate..but hey maybe it's time to draw a line under it.
Terl

Post by Terl »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Wish people stopped thinking it's about saving money..it isn't...it's about increasing sales..bringing in new customers and bringing in some money for the developers of the old games.

Anyway I agree with Sulla..things do need to calm down now abit..the discussion on price and bundles etc has been a great debate..but hey maybe it's time to draw a line under it.

The thing is, in my opinion, it is not my job to worry whether Matrix makes enough money. That is their job and Slitherine's. I don't think it is my place to set their pricing .... what is next? Do you start trying to monitor their spending. Let them worry about their revenue and whether they make enough to sustain the company.

Bottom line regarding the pricing is vote with your wallet, buy or don't buy, up to you. I buy very little from Matrix now because the prices are high and I am not sure whether I'll enjoy the game enough to spend the price they ask. Every now and then I do buy one; waiting for the expansion to Distant Worlds. Enough people must be doing this as they are still here and going strong.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Well wargaming is more than just Slitherine..and I feel all those involved in the genre\hobby should be trying to make sure new blood is brought in..both customers and publishers and developers..It's in everyones interest. So yes what they do matters and will effect all of us so I think we should have a say.
ORIGINAL: Terl
ORIGINAL: wodin

The thing is, in my opinion, it is not my job to worry whether Matrix makes enough money. That is their job and Slitherine's. I don't think it is my place to set their pricing .... what is next? Do you start trying to monitor their spending. Let them worry about their revenue and whether they make enough to sustain the company.

Bottom line regarding the pricing is vote with your wallet, buy or don't buy, up to you. I buy very little from Matrix now because the prices are high and I am not sure whether I'll enjoy the game enough to spend the price they ask. Every now and then I do buy one; waiting for the expansion to Distant Worlds. Enough people must be doing this as they are still here and going strong.
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

And the prices we are discussing. Less than dinner for 4. Sporting event tickets? Live theatre? Concerts? Ever toss a couple of 20s at a slot machine? Buy a round at a bar? A tire for your car? Week's worth of groceries?

Childish really.
Sounds like you need to check your privilege.
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

I for one don't think it's childish. A week's worth of groceries ?!?!? That was your best one yet. Lets just drop this already. If your wondering mr. Junk. The average family of four spends around $175-250 a week in just groceries so please spare us your all knowing ability to know everything there is to know.

What is really crazy is that we are talking about games. Just games. Not life support.

Childish really.
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

Funny how if you call "out " slitherine now you are a nazi. Will ignorant posts like these never stop?
ORIGINAL: sulla05

People it is one thing to have a discussion about pricing and being rude and obnoxious.

I am sorry if some of you had a a bad experience or feel you have been cheated by Matrix or whatever.

When Ageod joined the Slitherine group they decided on a price for Ageod's games that had already been released.

It is totally up to you if you wanted to voice your unhappiness or disagreement with the above, which many people did.

But most did it in a polite manner not meaning to enflames passions or other people.

The large majority of us on the forum have had great experiences with Matrix's customer service. So many of us are quite aware that we could have gotten a Matrix game for X$s at one time or somewhere else but we are not upset to pay more for the customer service we receive here.

Please when posting here or anywhere try to take a step back and look at the post and see if it is something you would say in person to who you want it read by. The lack of personal contact when emailing,posting or whatever sometimes leads to us type out things we would have never said out loud or at least we would have tempered the remarks.

We are a very small community in the world with many people thinking we wargamers are sick twisted neo-nazis's etc. because of our hobby.

It seems foolish to me to try to further break up our small hobby into even smaller camps that spit venom at each other when just because a post has been done from someone from the other " side ".

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

I said that we as wargamers are viewed that way.Even George Carlin was raging against wargamers in one of his TV specials.

So how much of the post that you took the time to repost did you actually read.

I never said anyone couldn't post or what you could post about and what you couldn't.

I was just looking to stop the really nasty posting instead of having a sane conversation.

I am a Taurus and and i thought I saw a red flag.

Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

I have learned that people who post about themselves are more than likely just the complete opposite of what they really are. I knew what you meant. And YOU KNEW WHAT YOU IMPLIED.. And please don't try and bully people...I will eat you for lunch mr Mensa (so called or self called I guess). So drop it.

I said that we as wargamers are viewed that way.Even George Carlin was raging against wargamers in one of his TV specials.

So how much of the post that you took the time to repost did you actually read.

I never said anyone couldn't post or what you could post about and what you couldn't.

I was just looking to stop the really nasty posting instead of having a sane conversation.

So for my pains you now call me ignorant. I should have guessed while typing it this would happen.

Where I come from insults are said to a person's face, so you know who it is coming from and said to.

Now I cannot see you but I am 6' 1" and weigh 265lbs and was an amateur boxer and have bench pressed 400lbs. I can only guess that you might be the type to run behind a lawyer and scream if you touch me I'll sue. Oh and I forgot to add that I have an IQ that is high enough that if I was into joining clubs Mensa would be a breeze.

Maybe your take away from this is that if you are going to comment on a post, you should actually read it and understand it before posting.

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

I didn't bully anyone or insult anyone. Look I do not know you from Adam but I am not going to look for hidden meanings in anyone posts nor should people look for them in mine. I reacted to being called ignorant and to being told that I called people nazis.

I guess I am from a different time and possibly planet. I hold doors for people, I say please and thank you and I do not insult people for no reason. I also do not lie, either online or off.

I had no hidden agenda or motive and for the God's sake this is a forum about my hobby, not heart surgery or something really important. Why in the God's name would I post something hoping that someone would catch my secret meaning and realize it was about them or their posts.

I went out of my way to find the right words that I thought people would read understand no problem.

" Please when posting here or anywhere try to take a step back and look at the post and see if it is something you would say in person to who you want it read by. The lack of personal contact when emailing,posting or whatever sometimes leads to us type out things we would have never said out loud or at least we would have tempered the remarks.

We are a very small community in the world with many people thinking we wargamers are sick twisted neo-nazis's etc. because of our hobby. "

What exactly was in there that was so annoying to you? I have seen various posts on non-wargame forums about how sick our hobby is and I watched the TV special with Carlin when he lambasted us for among other things " wanting to get a higher kill ratio "etc. I always liked Carlin but he was tough to watch after that.

Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

Indeed I also don't remember seeing rogo794...think he just joined today just for spite. You also mr Mensa have a great life. What's next for you the octagon ?

I didn't bully anyone or insult anyone. Look I do not know you from Adam but I am not going to look for hidden meanings in anyone posts nor should people look for them in mine. I reacted to being called ignorant and to being told that I called people nazis.

I guess I am from a different time and possibly planet. I hold doors for people, I say please and thank you and I do not insult people for no reason. I also do not lie, either online or off.

I had no hidden agenda or motive and for the God's sake this is a forum about my hobby, not heart surgery or something really important. Why in the God's name would I post something hoping that someone would catch my secret meaning and realize it was about them or their posts.

I went out of my way to find the right words that I thought people would read understand no problem.

" Please when posting here or anywhere try to take a step back and look at the post and see if it is something you would say in person to who you want it read by. The lack of personal contact when emailing,posting or whatever sometimes leads to us type out things we would have never said out loud or at least we would have tempered the remarks.

We are a very small community in the world with many people thinking we wargamers are sick twisted neo-nazis's etc. because of our hobby. "

What exactly was in there that was so annoying to you? I have seen various posts on non-wargame forums about how sick our hobby is and I watched the TV special with Carlin when he lambasted us for among other things " wanting to get a higher kill ratio "etc. I always liked Carlin but he was tough to watch after that.

I do not even remember seeing your " rogo794 " except a few times in the forums over the last few weeks.

Have a good life.

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

Sorry, I messed it up with your post count at the time, rogo727. I also have no idea of what the " octagon "is. Never mind I looked it up. I do not like the UFC whatsoever and I do not like any martial arts except boxing.
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

JWW

Post by JWW »

If I want a product and two places have it, price is a major factor in determining where I buy it, but there are other factors, too. In the case of electronic products, I often buy from Best Buy because I have someone to go to if there is a problem rather than the internet, though I have no problem dealing with major online shops like Amazon. I sometimes pay more than I could elsewhere just to be able to talk to someone in person if there is a problem. My cell phone service is via contract with a major carrier with brick and mortar stores, Verizon, though I can get a better rate and service just as good from Straight Talk or a similar non-contract company. If I have a problem, I have people I can go talk to to fix my problem. Other people would take the lower rate and the service that may not be as good if there is a problem. There is no right decision there. Both options have advantages. There is also the idea of supporting certain establishments and shops because they have a good product and you want to continue to receive that good product. Thus I support a couple of local restaurants because they have great food, though I can get cheaper food at a chain restaurant. Again, there is no right answer, just choices. So there is something of a rebellion against the pricing scheme of Matrix/Ageod/Slitherine. I choose to support that pricing scheme. That is my choice. Others don't. That is their choice. And I don't think the complaints on this forum on the Matrix etc. pricing scheme will change a thing. Their bottom line will decide, and they will make decisions on that, and that alone. And they will succeed and fail based on that. After my Army career I became a high school teacher. If I based my teaching decisions on student complaints, we would play games all day every day. Instead I have a goal for my classes tied to standardized test scores. That is my business model. The best standardized test scores possible. If making my students happy and having fun one day helps attain better scores, that is what we do. If making them mad the next day by doing something they don't like helps attain better scores, that is what I do the next day, regardless of the complaints ("This story is too loooooooooooooooooong. How can we read that?"). I know that comparing teaching to selling computer games doesn't exactly mesh, but there is a similar lesson. I look at the bottom line. So does Matrix.
Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

Childish really.

The thing about those things you listed many of us feel we got our money's worth from them. That's not always true with computer games as you well know they are bugged flawed crash to desktop among many other issues like a crappy ai that never gets fixed or fixed enough to warrant the price some of them cost. The same would go for those movie tickets that within a year you can see for a buck not $10 bucks like some of the Matrixgames that are 10 years old or even 5 years plus. It's like charging me $10 to watch the Dirty Dozen again in 2013.

So I really don't like seeing comparisons to other things in life with computer games they aren't even as good as many board games or old board wargames in many ways. Even many of those you can get for $5 or less on ebay these days not their origional prices of $30 to $40.

I've also tossed a couple of $20s at slot machines and walked away with $5000 so I don't see your point there. Also tires for cars are "necessities" not a "nicety" which you clearly don't know the difference in the economics of things. Same with groceries. Games are what we get with "disposable" income not "mandatory" income. Learn the difference.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: Rtwfreak

Also tires for cars are "necessities" not a "nicety"

Well, actually they can be a "nicety". Dedicated season tires as opposed to all season would be an example of a nicety.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

ORIGINAL: Rtwfreak

Also tires for cars are "necessities" not a "nicety"

Well, actually they can be a "nicety". Dedicated season tires as opposed to all season would be an example of a nicety.

apples and orangers tires by definition are a necessity no use getting into types as you have to have tires even if maypops on your vehicle.

Return to “General Discussion”