German use of corps in 1942

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Simbelmude

RE: German use of corps in 1942

Post by Simbelmude »

Does that mean, then, that there is no range modifier for Corps?
rmonical

Post by rmonical »

According to the equation, there is. At 6 hexes it is 1, 7 is 2 etc.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: rrbill

Doing strange things with command chains seems a bit gamey to me. Think the developers missed a point by allowing too much intervention here. Command chains changed over time and quality of command surely did, too.

True, but why is SHC C&C better then GHC C&C?

Is it ok for SHC to game system by over loading armies because the Big Z in at the top?

Is it ok for SHC to put armies under Stavka, because it is gaming the system?

Things need to work both ways not one.

Its not ok to nerf one side and not other is it?

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Simbelmude

Post by Simbelmude »

According to the equation, there is. At 6 hexes it is 1, 7 is 2 etc.

Ok so whether teh Corps HQ is in the hex with the unit or 5 hexes away has no effect, except for SU commitment possibly... right?
rmonical

Post by rmonical »

Ok so whether teh Corps HQ is in the hex with the unit or 5 hexes away has no effect, except for SU commitment possibly... right?

If by SU commitment you mean support squad commitment, yes you are correct. I went through the same discovery process a few weeks ago.[;)]
Simbelmude

Post by Simbelmude »

So what's the final say aout this Corps thing?

if you attach Soviet units to armies, what's the distance modifier, if any? What's the distance modifier for the commanding front then?
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Its 5 for all HQ's top to bottom.

No difference as far as divisions under them

OKH and Stavka can run 30 divisions in the front 10 hexes and 10 panzer/tank units behind them in reserve mode, plus unlimited SU's under them or/+ run armies under them skipping Fronts and AG's.

I do not see a down side to the supper blob, not my idea but have seen others using it as SHC.

The big plus to disbanding GHC Corps is a huge late war boost to manpower.

As we have seen with games that get to 44, the ones that do not only have 3.2 to 3 million on Jan 1st 44. The ones that disband have 3.5 million or more by Jan 44.

They simply slow down replasements to front line units, eat up needed supplies ect ect ect. The SHC doen't have them so why not cut the ball and chain.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
gamer78

Post by gamer78 »

Thanks for brief explanation.
Is it possible to give corps hqs a slight advantage in the code with a few tweaks? (combat rolls&dispatching support units) I think it is ok to have generic 5 hexes for all other hierarchy for WIE 1.

rmonical

Post by rmonical »

Is it possible to give corps hqs a slight advantage in the code with a few tweaks? (combat rolls&dispatching support units) I think it is ok to have generic 5 hexes for all other hierarchy for WIE 1.

I posted some thoughts here.

tm.asp?m=3305451

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”