The Lost Battles are coming!

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Philkian

The Lost Battles are coming!

Post by Philkian »

Matrix Games is proud to announce Lost Battles, the latest expansion for the award-winning strategy game Gary Grigsby's War in the East.

Lost Battles adds more than 10 scenario to the critically-acclaimed main game.
Choose to play whether the short campaigns like Operation Konrad (Germany’s desperate defense of Budapest) and Operation Mars (Soviet offensives Operation Mars and Jupiter) or the longer ones like the Battle for Moscow (Operation Typhoon and the subsequent Soviet winter counter-offensive) and Vistula to Berlin (the final offensives through Poland and the fall of Berlin).

Adding to these campaigns there are three full Campaigns: Winter 42-43 (the Soviet 42-43 winter counter-offensives including the recapture of Stalingrad), Stalingrad to Berlin Campaign ( the Soviet 42-43 winter counter-offensives which continues until the end of the war) and the 1941-45 Campaign (the standard full campaign with added sudden death victory conditions for both sides).

Get more information on Gary Grigsby's War in the East: Lost Battles from the official product page.

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Lost Battles is an expansion for War in the East and requires the base game to play.
morvael

RE: The Lost Battles are coming!

Post by morvael »

Wanted to buy it immediately, but sadly it's not available yet.
heyhellowhatsnew

Post by heyhellowhatsnew »

Matrix is killing me with all these announcements but never a release date. Announce 7 games I want but freaking never say a word on when they'll be done.. not even a timeframe.

It makes the wait hurt so much more.
OldBlackNerd.com Grognard Gaming, Gaming videos and Current Events
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Unofficially we're in final testing and we hope it will be published before the end of May (but you didn't hear that from me).
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
heyhellowhatsnew

Post by heyhellowhatsnew »

I can't wait. These scenarios are going to be awesome and will really make newer players want to try out the game. Especially with the "Historical notes and maps for each scenario included in an additional PDF reference manual."

This is a super smart idea!
OldBlackNerd.com Grognard Gaming, Gaming videos and Current Events
amatteucci

Post by amatteucci »

I'm intrigued by the new 1941-45 campaign with addess sudden death victory conditions. It it possible to know what these conditions are?
Moeover what about the "day after" scenario (similar to the December 8th campaign start in WitP-AE) that was once mentioned? Did the testers think it was not a viable idea to avoid the usual L'vov pocket/Sir Robin problem?
gabeeg

Post by gabeeg »

...this is the add on I have been waiting (hoping) for!
Kind Regards,

Harry
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Yaaaay...

Appears responsive to forum discussions...
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

I couldn't resist. Check the release date

Attachments
lostbattles.jpg
lostbattles.jpg (60.63 KiB) Viewed 445 times
Michael
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

http://matrixgames.com/news/1059/The.Lo ... are.coming!

the 1941-45 Campaign (the standard full campaign with added sudden death victory conditions for both sides).

MT should be happy now :)

WitE is the best Eastern Front game ever.

The AI is in a class all of its own.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

I'm glad they added more full campaigns this time around, although other full campaign starts are:

* A "turn 2" campaign
* An early 1942 campaign so that the German player is not locked into a Case Blue allocation of forces
* An early 1943 campaign so that the German player is not locked into a Zitadelle allocation of forces
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Hopefully this issue will be fixed in the new expansion otherwise I see no reason to purchase it.

tm.asp?m=3305426&mpage=1&key=
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Hopefully this issue will be fixed in the new expansion otherwise I see no reason to purchase it.

I strongly disagree. Its worth 10x what you will pay for it. This is a very minor issue in a game thats more complex then anything out there by 100x.

Threads on issue's like that are on going debates and I was proven some what wrong ( MT is always wrong by default) in the case of disbanding HQ's. there are plositive and negitives

Just because you read a thread where poeple are debating ( I tend to add a little more drama then needed) issues does not mean its a huge issue.

2by3 has worked there asses off to improve this game and it will get better with every passing patch/up-date.

No AI is even close to this one and the game is worth $10,000( USA and not mexican ect- yes I love mexicans(girls)) just to play vs AI.

It is the best Eastern Front game to date 2 yrs ago and is only getting better. The AI I beleive is the best of all time.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
morvael

Post by morvael »

2by3 needs our support. WitE is no longer main focus, as new games are underway, but we need a fix so we can enjoy the game until new titles will come out. Also, we know that the new engine is already working differently in that area and will not cause such problems.

Plus I like the list of new scenarios. Late war is fun, WitE shouldn't be all about Barbarossa and Blue.
jack54

Post by jack54 »

ORIGINAL: Pelton

.... It is the best Eastern Front game to date 2 yrs ago and is only getting better. The AI I beleive is the best of all time.

Thanks Pelton, it's posts like this that bring me 'back' to WITE, a game that I, unfortunately, have not given the time nor effort that it deserves... I will most certainly pick up 'Lost Battles'.
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

There is no change planned for this. There is a debate about whether corps HQ are useful, and that debate has not clearly shown a change needs to be made. Pavel, who understands the inner workings of the code more than anyone (even Gary, except for the AI code and a few other items that are all Gary) strongly disagrees that disbanding Corps HQ is the best strategy.

We appreciate the support of the community, and you should know that we're hoping to begin work on WitE 2.0 as soon as WitW 43-45 is completed. The good news there is that when we complete the final WitW map this summer, we will also have a near complete WitE 2.0 map done as well, so work will be able to start immediately after WitW is released. We think the WitE community will enjoy the new scenarios and campaigns that are in Lost Battles, and the release of the Sudden Death Campaign in Lost Battles is a direct result of listening to the WitE community. WitW is taking longer to complete than we had originally hoped, partially because we are tackling so many issues that people wanted to see addressed for WitE 2.0.

It's gratifying to see Pelton mention the AI, because so often the active community is focused on PBEM gaming, which is probably only about 20% of total WitE gaming. Gary has outdone himself on the AI in WitE. He continued to work on it for almost 2 years after release as we got various reports and saves. The DttD expansion allowed Gary to fix many of the AI quirks in the smaller battles, so there were only a few left to be addressed in Lost Battles. Although the AI is not a human, we think by adjusting the play level, players can get tremendous enjoyment out of playing the AI from either side. If you're a WitE player, please give Lost Battles a try. If you're a player of the long campaign, you'll probably want to start using the Sudden Death campaign in your future games.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Hetulik

Post by Hetulik »

I'm relatively new to the game. What would be the differences between the original long campaign and the new sudden death campaign at a high level? Just the game automatically ending if certain conditions have been reached?
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Yes, each year there are conditions for both sides which may cause the game to end early with a declaration of victory.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
sanderz

Post by sanderz »

quick question

re this bit "....allowed Gary to fix many of the AI quirks in the smaller battles, so there were only a few left to be addressed in Lost Battles."

so does Lost Battles include AI changes not included in the 1.07 (or any future) patch?

thanks
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

No sanderz. As with the previous scenario expansion, the EXE file available to those who don't buy Lost Battles will be the same as for those who did.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”