What is Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm (FPC:RS)?

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

CapnDarwin

What is Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm (FPC:RS)?

Post by CapnDarwin »

It is On Target Simulations (OTS) new game covering a hypothetical third world war starting in Central Europe. In this opening installment you will be placed in command of either NATO forces (United States, United Kingdom or West Germany) or Warsaw Pact powerhouse the Soviet Union. Similar to our original Flashpoint Germany (FPG) title FPC:RS is a grand tactical wargame. Each hex covers 500 meters of central European countryside, and the game turns are split into an orders phase and then execution phase. We'll dig into the game turn dynamics in later posts. The time period cover is 1979 to 1989. We have hundreds of different units, variations and configurations of hardware. A vast listing of formations. As the name says, we are also expanding into campaigns. You will work with a core forces though a number of battles. Maps and Scenarios. Got a bunch of them. At last count we were hitting about 30 maps and about the same for scenarios. Each maps covers 15km x 20 km of terrain modeled straight from Google earth maps. The game features scenarios playable solo from either side versus our gritty AI or go head to head using PBEM++.

Not enough you say. The new game was built from the ground up to be very friendly to those wishing to mod the game or add content. I'll put up more info in another thread to talk more about this aspect of the game.

Questions and Comments Welcome!

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
JudgeDredd

RE: What is Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm (FPC:RS)?

Post by JudgeDredd »

At last.

Good luck with this. I loved the original but it was somewhat limited, I wasn't totally sold on the squares and the lack of infantry was notable.

As I said before - I'm sad FP:ME was dropped - but any game coming out that is based on the original can only be a good thing I think.

Good luck. [&o]
Alba gu' brath
wodin

Post by wodin »

Does look great..really looking forward to it.

Shame you didn't transfer some of the threads from the old forum here that where relevant..
jday305

Post by jday305 »

I like the idea of using core forces for several scenarios. This adds realism as far as how well one unit does in one battle may affect its preformance in the next battle. I will definately look forward to this game. I would like to know though what timeline for its future release. Anyone know?
RebelYell

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Let's make one thing clear from the beginning. Nothing has been dropped from the original expansion module lists. In fact, the exact opposite is true. There are a list of expansions planned that will far exceed the original scope of where FP was going.

Middle East is just one location and time frame. It has not gone away, it just moved back a bit while all the reworking the system took place.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

So is this an addon? Do you need Flashpoint Germany before you can Play this one?
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: jday305

I will definately look forward to this game. I would like to know though what timeline for its future release. Anyone know?

Depends on how well the final de-bugging goes. That's not my department. What I can tell you is that everyday we go I work on more scenarios/campaigns for the game. The time will be put to good use.

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

This is an entirely new game.

Good Hunting.

MR

goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

How in-depth is the logistical side of things, so often games, logistics are just an added side event meaning very little
Formerly Goodwood

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

@wodin - As soon as I get some time this week I will grab more stuff and move what I can or at least address the items in the old location.

@jamesm - As MR says this is a ground up new game. The add-ons comment is based on the new game that we plan to support down the road with new era and locations. We had a Mid-East game in development after FPG, but the project was halted for a number of reasons. We brought the lessons learned from that work into this new game.

@BASB - Are we making you count every bullet and pump gas? No. There will be some choices to make in refitting during campaigns, but right now most loggy functions are abstracted. If you have some ideas on how to implement some in a game of this scope we are willing to listen.

IronManBeta

Post by IronManBeta »

I'm really pumped by this! I'm the lead developer and I've been working on this weekly - if not daily - for the last seven years. To have it so close to seeing the light of day at last is really something. Stay tuned as Capn Darwin, Mad Russian and I describe it in more detail now that we have a forum.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Robert it looks like you've done a sterling job here my friend. A good buzz for it on my Tactical Wargames FB page.
Richie61

Post by Richie61 »

Dumb question, but is it PBEM as in old school (e-mail or drop box)? I hope it's not another sever based one :(
To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

wodin

Post by wodin »

Richie..they say PBEM++ which is their server based app isn't it?

Capt when you say moddable..exactly how moddable is it..are we talking being able to mod it to WW2 setting (only because I'm desperately wanting a Stalingrad Coy level game with 500m hex). Not an issue if it can't be done..
Richie61

Post by Richie61 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Richie..they say PBEM++ which is their server based app isn't it?

Capt when you say moddable..exactly how moddable is it..are we talking being able to mod it to WW2 setting (only because I'm desperately wanting a Stalingrad Coy level game with 500m hex). Not an issue if it can't be done..

Jason,

I think so, but figured I would ask either way. [:)] If it is, I hope it isn't live to live players.

WWII would ROCK!!! [&o]
To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

grosbil

Post by grosbil »

Is it wego based ?
Be careful with a sleeping bear ;-)
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

@grobil - Yes. Each side gives orders during their orders phase. Not those phase will vary in time with the current state of you forces too. It can become possible to issue order, play, issue, play before your opponent issues in this system. Once orders are given the game starts back up and the battle continues.

@ Wodin and mod lovers - I will start a new thread on modding the game so we can focus those questions there. Thanks!

@Richie61 - I will let Rob speak to game modes.

jday305

Post by jday305 »

I am eager for this cold war era game. The last one I played was called "World War 111" (I think) on my Commodore 64 computer back in the late 1980's early 90's. Kind of dates me. LOL
RebelYell

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

WWII will in fact ROCK!

But other theaters and times are going to be just as good. We have an entire list of modules that are in the planning stages.

First things first, we need to finish up the base game and get that out to you.

Good Hunting.

MR

goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

What is the turn length?
Formerly Goodwood

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”