What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

warspite1

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

One of the authors that actually got me reading in my youth has passed away.

James Herbert.

I think I will have to buy The Dark again. Qualiteeee [&o]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21870413
warspite1

Couldn't find The Dark so bought Ash instead. 100 pages in and so far so good [:)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
parusski

Post by parusski »

Currently immersed in DRIVE ON MOSCOW, 1941, THE: Operation Taifun and Germany's First Great Crisis of World War II,by Niklas Zetterling , Anders Frankson
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

One of the authors that actually got me reading in my youth has passed away.

James Herbert.

I think I will have to buy The Dark again. Qualiteeee [&o]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21870413
warspite1

Couldn't find The Dark so bought Ash instead. 100 pages in and so far so good [:)]
warspite1

Just Finished Ash. A thoroughly entertaining read and I would recommend for those fans of the horror genre.

Next up its the latest biography of Lady Thatcher.

wodin

Post by wodin »

Love The Rats trilogy...read them when I was about 12 or so!!
grogmaster

Post by grogmaster »

Mein Kampf
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

I'm reading The Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe. Fascinating stuff - a book from the "dying earth" subgenre. I had no idea that that stuff is weird fantasy. I always saw books by Gene Wolfe on shelves and thought that they are some boring generic fantasy.
There's something about it that reminds me of H.P. Lovecraft, particularly of "The Tomb".

I finished reading "Slave Girl" by Sarah Forsyth. An autobiography of a women that was kidnapped and forced to be a prostitute in the Red Light District - apparently sexual slavery is distressingly common there.

Temporarily paused reading "Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer.
Jevhaddah

Post by Jevhaddah »

Just finished the Skylark series by EE Doc Smith and now reading First Lensman on my kindle.

Also just read the first Clay Blair book on the uboat war and found it a bit iffy.... [X(]

Cheers

Jev
I am really quite mad yoo know!
parusski

Post by parusski »

Praise Audible.com. Just bought, downloaded and began listening to A Companion to the Civil War and Reconstruction, Lacy Ford.

From Amazon: A Companion to the Civil War and Reconstruction, Lacy Ford.

Summary:

A Companion to the Civil War and Reconstruction is an extraordinary collection of 23 essays addressing the key topics and themes of the most divisive era in United States history. These original essays by top scholars in the field are organized chronologically into three parts: “Sectional Conflict and the Coming of the Civil War,” “the Civil War and American Society,” and “Reconstruction and the New Nation.” Each essay is an interpretive summary of the key literature in the field, and places the topic in historical context. Contributors include bibliographies and suggest future directions of the historiography. This volume provides students, scholars, and informed general readers of Civil War and Reconstruction history with a valuble guide to their research and teaching.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

1.) "The Amphibians Came to Conquer: The Story of Richmond Kelly Turner." Volume II by George C. Dyer - the paperback

2.) "The Decline and Fall of the British Empire, 1781-1997" by Piers Brendon - the Kindle e-book
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

2.) "The Decline and Fall of the British Empire, 1781-1997" by Piers Brendon - the Kindle e-book
warspite1

Please let me know what you think - the Guardian liked it so I suspect its's positively hideous.

Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

It's the first book I read about this topic, so I cannot compare it with other titles. Anyway, I've almost finished it and I like it. It is full of anecdotes that it can hardly be called a history book - it's narrative history. Definitely not a book for "beginners" who are interested in this topic, but nonetheless worth reading.

Do you know other titles about the subject?

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

It's the first book I read about this topic, so I cannot compare it with other titles. Anyway, I've almost finished it and I like it. It is full of anecdotes that it can hardly be called a history book - it's narrative history. Definitely not a book for "beginners" who are interested in this topic, but nonetheless worth reading.

Do you know other titles about the subject?
warspite1

I read The Rise and Fall of the British Empire (Lawrence James) many years ago. That was a decent book.

Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

Thank you, I checked it at Amazon - have to put it on my to-buy list!

SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

The General's Son: Journey of an Israeli in Palestine
Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. I have not read this for ages and ages but it is still a good read.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

Just curious if anyone reads anything from stackpole military series? Every division in the german army SS and anything in between that was ever formed in ww2 is covered. Would loved to read the same thing on American , British and Russian units also. Never found anything that comes close to this. Any ideas?
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

Just curious if anyone reads anything from stackpole military series? Every division in the german army SS and anything in between that was every formed in ww2 is covered. Would loved to read the same thing on American , British and Russian units also. Never found anything that comes close to this. Any ideas?
How does it compare to the Ballantine series?
Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

I'm looking for unit (division history) on each unit. With a quick google look the site site you listed only covers the general campaigns and special operations. If I am wrong please tell me. I want books that would tell me the history of each division . For example I had developers from WITE tell me that no 999th german infantry ever existed while in fact it did. It would be wonderful if I could find a source that covered all Russian units as well.
ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN
Just curious if anyone reads anything from stackpole military series? Every division in the german army SS and anything in between that was every formed in ww2 is covered. Would loved to read the same thing on American , British and Russian units also. Never found anything that comes close to this. Any ideas?
How does it compare to the Ballantine series?
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

Return to “General Discussion”