COTA to be split into two data packs

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

Arjuna

COTA to be split into two data packs

Post by Arjuna »

Hi all,

You might recall in the CO2 thread I said we were considering going to a lower cost format for delivering product and that we would aim to price our data packs at $30 and limit these to around 10 to 12 scenarios. We have decided to go ahead with that pricing structure. I will advise some exciting plans regarding future development in another thread shortly.

So we will be dividing up the COTA scenarios into two data packs. One will focus on the Greek Campaign and the other on the Mediterranean Battles. Both will sell for $29.99 for new customers and $19.99 for customers who already own COTA.

The scenario breakdown for the two packs would be:

Greek Pack (20 scenarios)
  • Battle of the Pindos Bases
  • Blunting the Spear
  • Charge of the Centaurs
  • Cutting the Line
  • Elasson Rearguard
  • First Clash at Veve
  • First Clean Break
  • Foothills of the Gods
  • Gamble and Scramble
  • Intro 1 - Bridges to Lamia
  • Intro 2 - Setback and Rebound
  • Parachutes over Corinth
  • Pindos Historical Campaign
  • Pulling Tight the Noose
  • Spartans at the Pass
  • Springing the Trap
  • Stemming the Tide
  • Take the Pass
  • Tanks at Platamon
  • Tempe Gorge Crisis

Mediterranean Pack (12 scenarios)
  • Battle for the Maltese Cross
  • Clash of Armour
  • Folgore at Maleme
  • Iraklion Airfield Falls
  • Iraklion Historical Campaign
  • Kiwis Fight Back
  • Maleme Historical Campaign
  • Ray of Hope
  • Rethymnon Historical Campaign
  • Rethymnon Roadblock
  • Storm Over Iraklion
  • Trial By Combat

I'm hoping to flesh out the Med pack with three other user designed scenarios. I have emailed the users seeking their permission to include the scenarios for a small royalty. So hopefully I will hear back from them shortly. If you know these users, please let them know in case the email I have is an old one. The three scenarios are:
  • Leros - by Hoplomachia
  • Cyprus - by Judge Dredd
  • Battleaxe/Brevity - by Prince of Eckmuhl

With these three, there will be 15 scenarios in the Med pack.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
ulisin

RE: COTA to be split into two data packs

Post by ulisin »

anyway

I love you
ulisin

Post by ulisin »

and, if you can, be careful and check night visibility for 2 scenarios:
trial by combat - bir el gobi
and Sidi Rezegh

playing MP, I've noticed they have a very low parameter for night visibility - 5 if I remember well - while all other scenarios have 15.
In effect, infiltrations through enemy lines have been a lot easier. Too easy in my opinion.
All battles for these scenarios have been very confused (Sidir REzegh has been a very confused battle, I know, but in my game battles I've had a lot... a lot of confusion, too much!! Same as far as Bir el gobi).

If your parameters for night visibility are a thought choice, delete this post, but, perhaps, 5 for night visbility in those maps is a mistake ...

bye
thanks
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

ORIGINAL: ulisin

and, if you can, be careful and check night visibility for 2 scenarios:
trial by combat - bir el gobi
and Sidi Rezegh

playing MP, I've noticed they have a very low parameter for night visibility - 5 if I remember well - while all other scenarios have 15.
In effect, infiltrations through enemy lines have been a lot easier. Too easy in my opinion.
All battles for these scenarios have been very confused (Sidir REzegh has been a very confused battle, I know, but in my game battles I've had a lot... a lot of confusion, too much!! Same as far as Bir el gobi).

If your parameters for night visibility are a thought choice, delete this post, but, perhaps, 5 for night visbility in those maps is a mistake ...

bye
thanks

Interesting you use confused for Sidi Rezegh. Soon as I read that I remember Bob Crisp's account from "Brazen Chariots" and totally confused seems to perfectly sum up that battle. Of course his account is from the tank troop commanders perspective. Basically this desert battle was more sweeping melee with positions changing daily and the perspective of which side was winning at which point also in flux.

Looking forward to these 2 expansion packs.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Yes well there are numerous accounts of the Crusader battles which included Sidi Rezegh and they all convey the fact that no one knew what was going on other than in the immediate area they were in. The British armoured Bns attacked in waves through mountains of dust. sometimes they found the Germans lying in ait others they caught them on the move and other times they encountered no one. It was a very confused battle.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
ulisin

Post by ulisin »

I apologize in advance for my english, I'm Italian

By the way:

Yes, I know, and I've read Bob Crisp's account from "Brazen Chariots", and so on.
But why 15 for night visibility for all cota scenarios and 5 for Sidi rezegh and bir el gobi??

Night in the desert is more dark?
-)[:)]
Sure, now - in 2013 - you can say it! Now we have - in europe - a lot of light pollution. But in 1941?
And, again, the night of greek mountains was less black than near tobruk?

And - above all: I've played other desert scenarios, like those of Prince of eckmuhl- both multiplayer and vs AI - (very very beuatiful) and there is also, there, a lot of confusion too.
But they have 15 for night visibility!

And they work very well, in my opinion, there is confusion, but you can prevent infiltrations, in some way.
You can perform infiltrations, it's easy, but you can also prevent them. In sidi rezegh and bir el gobi you can attack enemy HQ in their beds without any problem, and you can't prevent enemy infiltrations, or quite so.

I think Cota models night vibility in abstract, it's not only a matter of 'vision', but you have also scout activity, for example, and so on. Or I'm wrong?
It seems to me that in Sidi rezegh and Bir el gobi, scenario designer doesn't keep in the right consideration this aspect.

bye
above all, tnhanks for you game
best wargame of my life, and I play since 1981!

Txema

Post by Txema »

So... Which North Africa scenarios are going to be included in the Mediterranean Pack??

Txema
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Txema - looks like Trial by Combat and Clash of Armour. That's what it says above.
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

Lets hope he gets in touch with some of the scenario designers and gets their scenarios in the pack as well.
Txema

Post by Txema »

Phoenix,

Which battles are covered by those scenarios ?

Sorry but I can not remember that...

Thanks for your help !!

Txema
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Txema. Trial by Combat is 22nd Armoured v Italian Ariete Division at Bir-El-Gubi. Clash of Armour is, I think, the first sallies of Rommel against Crusader at Sidi Rezegh on 21st November. Both battles, historically, the Allies fared not so well.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

So, I want to make sure I understand...It will be $30 per pack, not $30 total, right?

Does anyone think it odd that it comes down to about $2US per scenario, about the same as HTTR? I mean, I have bought BFTB and the HTTR expansion, but $60US for 35 scenarios seems kind of steep. Is there anything else in these packs...

I find my gaming hobby slowly winding down because of pricing. Between the CM2 pricing model and this game, I find myself going back to older games because of it. I am also worried that companies like Matrix are forcing themselves into niches by setting prices where they are.
RayWolfe

Post by RayWolfe »

Here we go again!
Dave, I don't know why you bother.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Yes I wonder that too Ray.[8|]

But I do realise that I will never satisfy some people's desires when it comes to pricing.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you might like some feedback. My bad.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

But I do realise that I will never satisfy some people's desires when it comes to pricing.

btw, I think your comment and rolling eyes emoticon is a pretty good thank you for spending $150 or so with your company.
RockKahn

Post by RockKahn »

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you might like some feedback. My bad.

Arjuna's always looking for constructive feedback.
I don't write Universal Law. I just live by it.
loyalcitizen

Post by loyalcitizen »

How does one show that they previously bought COTA? Do I have to have it already downloaded to update? Because I don't have it downloaded.
My old computer and old disks have been lost to the ages (I have moved several times).

I've bought every release so far including RDOA. All I have on my computer is the new Command Ops stuff (Bulge and HTTR).
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

btw, I think your comment and rolling eyes emoticon is a pretty good thank you for spending $150 or so with your company.
My apologies. I should have exercised more restraint.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

That would buy you about one whole hour of development from a software development company. Spend that hour wisely...

Return to “Command Ops Series”