Computer ASW Patrol

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jbdenney

Computer ASW Patrol

Post by jbdenney »

I am assuming that putting small ASW ships (KV types and other such small craft) into ASW TF's in their home ports and setting the TF to Computer Control sets them to run continuous ASW Patrol in the area of the Port. Is this correct? Is there any reason I should put them under Human Control and set them to do a local patrol? I am trying to avoid having to Micro Manage a large number of small ASW TFs on the map.
Jim D Burns

RE: Computer ASW Patrol

Post by Jim D Burns »

Yep, though I generally set them up with a patrol route and assign the port as one of the three stops on the route with 'full refuel' orders for the stop in the port hex. You can also set them up with routes away from the port and the computer will bring em back to refuel when needed.

Jim

Edit: I do this with the small coastal minesweepers as well, as some of them have asw capability. They aren't as good as a dedicated asw fleet, but they do help keep the subs suppressed and occasionally get a rare hit on one even.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

Yep, though I generally set them up with a patrol route and assign the port as one of the three stops on the route with 'full refuel' orders for the stop in the port hex. You can also set them up with routes away from the port and the computer will bring em back to refuel when needed.

Jim

Edit: I do this with the small coastal minesweepers as well, as some of them have asw capability. They aren't as good as a dedicated asw fleet, but they do help keep the subs suppressed and occasionally get a rare hit on one even.

ditto.

Tip: Try and avoid using computer controlled anything.
blueatoll

Post by blueatoll »

So what is a good level of ASW for an ASW Task Force? I've got a ton of YPs (1 ASW point) on the West Coast and they are all in individual ASW TFs. They seem to be doing a good job suppressing Japanese subs but don't sink any in direct encounters. How many ASW points is a good number for ASW Task Forces? Obviously the higher the better but I'm in 1942 and my DDs are severely needed elsewhere. Is there a minimum number recommended?
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

ASW number is just number of weapons on ship. Later in war you start to get really dangerous ones (like DEs) equipped with multiple DC throwers and Hedgehog/Mousetrap devices.

YPs are great to keep your ports and nearby hexes off limits for enemy subs. Combine them with both Naval search and ASW airplanes. Always have one ASW TF undocked in your major port, to stop those pesky IJN minisubs entering the harbour too.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Yes, early on when you are short of ships any thing that floats and has an ASW value is helpful. If for anything else to tell you there is a sub there after eating a torpedo. By 1943 these ships become less important as you really start to get a lot of better ships.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
bigred

Post by bigred »

In second half of 42 I train the AUS/NZ LBA as dedicated asw bomber partol w/hudsons. When they get to 60asw exp this will cause the IJN alot of problems if used w/ surface asw.
---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
tm.asp?m=2597400

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”