Hairy Yankee Reports: Q-Ball (A) v Greyjoy (J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Canoerebel

RE: Solomons Skeddadle?

Post by Canoerebel »

So you have 3.5 months left in 1943. If, by the end of the year, you've progressed well across New Guinea's north coast, you should be in good position to prosecute the war in 1944. GJ's putting up a tough fight, but you're nonetheless drawing nigh to the heartland.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
crsutton

RE: Solomons Turkey Shoot

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

PS: The contingencies to recover from my losses are these:

3. I can cover for the lack of cruisers, or will have to, via DDs, like all the FLetchers. I have not lost that many DDs, so I am in good shape here.

The Fletchers can take on and beat any Japanese surface TF if fighting at night. late 43 brings reliable torpedoes and 44 brings a boost in crew experience. That combined with slight armor, top notch radar and better guns makes them dominant. I love to catch old Japanese BBs at night with them.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

I agree ... I won't risk my CA's against Fletchers ... I have to use air against them. There isn't a good SCTF counter to Fletchers for IJ.
Pax
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

I have only good things to say about the Fletchers! Love them! [&o]
Q-Ball

Dumb

Post by Q-Ball »

Well, I've lost a CV battle. I left all my DBs on training, and 1/2 my fighters are also stood down on training missions. As a result, free shot by the KB again. I won't lose any ships, but several CVs are damaged.

I am considering a resignation. I rushed the turn, and just completely messed up the settings.

More to follow as it's late, but no fun when you lose that way

Cpt Sherwood

RE: Dumb

Post by Cpt Sherwood »

Don't resign. If you don't want to continue, find someone who will take over. I would, and at least one person has advertised in the opponents wanted for a situation like this.
“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” ― Lucius Annaeus Seneca
JocMeister

RE: Dumb

Post by JocMeister »

Hang in there Q-ball. Don´t do anything hasty!
Chickenboy

Get back in there and fight!

Post by Chickenboy »

I'm changing the subject line, please forgive the breach of etiquette. [;)]
Canoerebel

RE: Get back in there and fight!

Post by Canoerebel »

Not very long ago, your opponent was in a considerably greater predicament than you are at this same date in the game.  I'm referring, of course, to his game vs. Rader.  He stuck to it and turned it into one of the epic AE games of all time.

You have reached a point where a series of losses has affected your morale so that you aren't excited about the next turn or next week's turn.  I urge you to abandon the "not-so-fun, methodical Allied steamroller technique" in favor of something that brings you pleasue and satisfaction.

And who was it that said, "Never, never, never, Never! give up!"  I forget whether that was Winston Churchill, Art Linkletter or Inspector Clouseau, but sounds like a decent motto to live by.

Go get 'em, dude!
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

Never, never, never, Never! give up!" I forget whether that was Winston Churchill, Art Linkletter or Inspector Clouseau

I do know Jim Valvano in a very famious speech 1 month away from his death said these very same words ...
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Crackaces
Never, never, never, Never! give up!" I forget whether that was Winston Churchill, Art Linkletter or Inspector Clouseau

I do know Jim Valvano in a very famious speech 1 month away from his death said these very same words ...
So he gave up? Quitter! [:@]
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Not sure that this is true .. he left behind a foundation that contributes millions toward cancer research .. that I hope someday offers cures for your children [;)] I might propose his legacy is still fightng today .. [8D]
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

"I am considering a resignation. I rushed the turn, and just completely messed up the settings. "

Snap Out of It!!
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Not sure that this is true .. he left behind a foundation that contributes millions toward cancer research .. that I hope someday offers cures for your children [;)] I might propose his legacy is still fightng today .. [8D]

Trying to inject humor here, Crackaces, by proposing that if he died, he must therefore have given up his fight to live. Ergo he's a quitter. At some level, in the end, we all are. I'm sure his foundation does good things for lots of people in his name.
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

Trying to
Oh yes I got the humor .. and why I used the smiley faces .. and my ineuendo of continuing the fight pandimensionaly ... it might seem he lost the battle on one dimension but he continues the fight in so many more ....

Some knute rockne speech for Q-Ball .. [:D]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

I'm not sure the metaphor is stirring here, Crackaces. "Q-ball: even if you die, your memory will live on with us." There's that whole 'die' thing that's a real deal breaker, IMO.

Reminiscent of this: [:D]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwrgPZltnjo
Schlemiel

Post by Schlemiel »

I'd take it as a good omen, personally, if you've survived 2 terrible encounters with the KB with most of the consequence being time in the yard, at least as long as you can slip back into friendly LBA before losing anything. You are still in very good position geographically as far as I can tell, and I think you'd probably be depriving both yourself and Greyjoy of an enjoyable game if you back out now. It's been well-fought on both sides, and should lead to a suitably destructive conclusion :)
PaxMondo

Assessment

Post by PaxMondo »

Brad,

Hey, you pooched it (big time) and all it cost you was 3xCV in the yard for 90 days. I wish I was that lucky.

Take the weekend off, make it a long weekend, and then you should be ok. Long game like this, when I start to rush turns it is a sign of fatigue. Take a little break. A few days off and you will be surprised at how your attitude and your play rebound.

As CB notes above, you are in good shape. Still '43. In early '44 you are well positioned to really just crank through either the PacCen or the PacNor route. We all know there is little/nothing that the IJ can do in either direction because they can't amass enough LBA support. Either way, you are in B29 range of the HI in Mid '44 and that is when IJ problems really start to happen. This is all historical and dang hard to prevent.

All you need to do is not get impatient. Pick your direction, get your units prepping and your bases staged. Mar 44 or so, pull the trigger. You will be in either the Marianas or the Kuriles by July '44 and then you start raining destruction on the HI.

He's been clearly over-building his airforce in '43 and that means he hasn't been stockpiling HI (I would estimate that he will have +5000 Tojo/Zero/Oscar already built that are already outdated = +200K HI and +500K supply). This style of play also means he has heavily invested in R&D. Again, a HUGE drain on supply. Unlike HI, supply is lost rapidly during air attacks. If you are able to start hitting the HI in mid-44 his economy will implode. He won't have the HI and supply needed to build late war fighters, he'll be stuck with Tojo's and Zero's facing your TBolts or he gets all his reinforcement LCU's at 33% strength because he doesn't have the ARM/VEH to build them, and/or he has insufficient supply to build factories and support his units. Oops.

Tactically, he is playing a pretty good game. His weakness is that he hasn't got enough experience with the IJ to be aware of the strategic pitfalls. Your weakness is that you are overzealous. You can recover, his decisions are almost irreversible now. Take a break, re-group.
Pax
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

I'm not sure the metaphor is stirring here, Crackaces. "Q-ball: even if you die, your memory will live on with us." There's that whole 'die' thing that's a real deal breaker, IMO.

Reminiscent of this: [:D]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwrgPZltnjo

Actually there is more truth and relavancy of context here ...

Maybe we can start the QBall Sudden Carrier Loss Syndrome Foundation? This devastating disease is repsonsible for the premature deaths of many WitP AE campaign games ..[8D]
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

We've all been there Q-Ball. However, I wouldn't trade your current game experience for another. You've made mistakes, but you're also up against a cagey opponent. I wouldn't trade the challenge and competitiveness of this matchup for anything. You'll be fine, take a breather then come out swinging.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

Return to “After Action Reports”