[REL] *UPDATED! Royal Navy Edition updated to Legends

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Shark7

RE: Imperial Japanese Navy Edition

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Nibelung44

How we can affect these lists to others races by the way?

You can't as of right now, the list only works for the player race.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
fflaguna

RE: [REL] *UPDATED! ShipNames.txt IJN Edition

Post by fflaguna »

Nice. Downloaded. :)
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Bump since I've noticed people asking about ship names.
Distant Worlds Fan

Data

Post by Data »

yap, this one you can bump proactively...it will always be needed
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Fubar

Post by Fubar »

A great idea, downloading now. [:)]
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Bump for Legends and new members

Note that these have not yet been updated with carrier names, but I will probably get that done this evening (since I need to do it for my own use anyway).
Distant Worlds Fan

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Here is the updated Royal Navy version
Attachments
RoyalNavyShipNames.zip
(17.8 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
Distant Worlds Fan

Creeper

Post by Creeper »

Thank you for the updated version.
Greetings,
AdrastosofArgos

Post by AdrastosofArgos »

This is a great list! As I like to play in a Honorverse-like setting which resembles Nelson's navy in some ways, these ship names are a great fit.

My only trouble is that I like to put 'HMS' in front of all my ship names (I'm a stickler for formality [;)]), but that means that the name re-pops up all the time. So if I change for example 'Apollo' into 'HMS Apollo', the next ship I build will be once again 'Apollo'. Is it possible to put 'HMS' in front of every ship's name? There must be a quick way to do this as it's a text file, but I really have no idea how to do this or where to start.

Is there any way one of you fine gentleman can help me out?

Best,
Adrastos
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: AdrastosofArgos

This is a great list! As I like to play in a Honorverse-like setting which resembles Nelson's navy in some ways, these ship names are a great fit.

My only trouble is that I like to put 'HMS' in front of all my ship names (I'm a stickler for formality [;)]), but that means that the name re-pops up all the time. So if I change for example 'Apollo' into 'HMS Apollo', the next ship I build will be once again 'Apollo'. Is it possible to put 'HMS' in front of every ship's name? There must be a quick way to do this as it's a text file, but I really have no idea how to do this or where to start.

Is there any way one of you fine gentleman can help me out?

Best,
Adrastos

It would be possible, but I'm not going to, as it was a lot of work to edit this list in the first place.

However, if you wanted to do so, you simply need to use notepad to make your own ship names list.

When you do you'll see why I don't want to redo mine. When I did the IJN version I was so sick of typing in X Maru for every single freighter it wasn't funny.

For those wondering, I am currently slowly making my way through a Marine nationale (French Navy) version of the ship list. Just remember, it will get done when it gets done.
Distant Worlds Fan

Verstorbene

Post by Verstorbene »

The downside to being a lurker is, when I can actually contribute something, I can't post links. hooray

I think I can upload a shipName.txt though.

I wrote a quick java program (very lazy, all of 5 minutes of work, 10 minutes of pasting back and forth). Was gonna post the source to pastebin for any interested parties.

Edit: And I can't seem to attach anything that would work. Shark, if you're interested, you can contact me off-boards and I can send you a shipNames.txt with HMS prefixes, as well as the source to my lazy 5-minute program? Both can be posted to pastebin or something.
Verstorbene

Post by Verstorbene »

EDIT: UGH, Ignore this doublepost. Or delete it please
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

You can post your program yourself, if I post it people will mistakenly think that I created it and I don't want it to cause issues. I personally do not wish to post some one else's work as my own, and I would hope others will show me the same courtesy.

Now that said, I've already given permission for anyone to distribute my unchanged works (with credit) as part of their own themes. I've noticed several of our other users have done that and I have no issues with that.

Not trying to be a jerk, jut trying to avoid any potential problems, which I am sure you can appreciate.
Distant Worlds Fan

Verstorbene

Post by Verstorbene »

Well, I just meant that I would need three more posts (including this one) + seven days before I can post a link to anything. Both are already pastebin'd, and all I did was to modify your work. You're the guy who spent all the time putting these names in. I merely wrote a program that manipulates strings.

Plus, the idea was to make it available for the guy who wanted the prefix in front of all of his shipnames. Waiting a week for my quick fix seems to defeat the purpose, haha.

Let me give uploading the txt another try. It didn't occur to me that the file might not be ready immediately (when I tried to click my own upload, I got a file not available error).

And if anyone still wants to see the program, I suppose I can expand upon it too (maybe to add suffixes, since you hated typing Maru at the end of anything).
Attachments
shipNames.zip
(17.3 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Verstorbene

Post by Verstorbene »

Now that I think about it, maybe I should ask you what would be useful for mass string manipulation? Something that might make making another mod like this not a complete pain in the rear?
Verstorbene

Post by Verstorbene »

Sorry for the chain post. I've decided to make my little program thing into a full tool, and want one of the end results of this little project to be a huge compilation of ship names (shuffed, as well, so you don't have to eat through 1 mod to get to another).

I wanted to know if I had your permission to include your shipnames with credit to you.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Verstorbene

Sorry for the chain post. I've decided to make my little program thing into a full tool, and want one of the end results of this little project to be a huge compilation of ship names (shuffed, as well, so you don't have to eat through 1 mod to get to another).

I wanted to know if I had your permission to include your shipnames with credit to you.

Yes, so long as you give credit. Thank you for asking first. [:)]
Distant Worlds Fan

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Just bumping this back up for newer players, it does still work in Shadows.
Distant Worlds Fan

TanC

Post by TanC »

Awesome bump! Thanks Shark7! Will download and use now. Definitely beats seeing 001, 002, 003..[>:]
threedeesix

Post by threedeesix »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Just bumping this back up for newer players, it does still work in Shadows.

Hey Shark7, this is awesome. Downloading now.

I don't know if your still taking requests, but if you could someday make a combined list with ship names from multiple governments. I imagine a world government with ships like the Bismark and Yamato operating right alongside the Arizona. This would work for those making a Star Trek (Federation) mod as well.

Anyway, thanks for your hard work, its appreciated.

Rod

Return to “Design and Modding”