Supply Consumption and Readiness

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

Hugolin

Supply Consumption and Readiness

Post by Hugolin »

From the rules:
16.5. SUPPLY CONSUMPTION
After supplies have been delivered over the supply network, all units consume supply
in order to keep or raise readiness. Troops consume 50% their supply requirements to
not lose readiness. Troops consume up to 100% supply requirements to gain the first
10 points of readiness. Troops consume up to 150% their supply requirements to gain
the maximum of 30 points.

One thing that is still puzzling me is how supply affects AP and Readiness rebuilding. Units can eventually have a rather low readiness (50-60%) due to the accumulation of unit losses, movement and combat. So I'm trying to clarify this:

"Troops consume up to 100% supply requirements to gain the first
10 points of readiness."

"The first 10 points" = what? To build back readiness from 90 to 100? From 0 to 10? The first 10 points in a given turn, regardless of what current readiness is (e.g. from 68 to 78)?

"Troops consume up to 150% their supply requirements to gain
the maximum of 30 points." = what? A unit can go up a max of 30 pts of readiness in a given turn? How can it consume 150% of its supply? Through stockpiling (that would be only Artillery)? The Supreme HQs send more if there's more available?

Also, is it the same thing with AP rebuilding? It's still unclear for me how exactly units gain back APs; what is the calculation? Same as with readiness?

Any feedback appreciated!
Isokron

RE: Supply Consumption and Readiness

Post by Isokron »

All the gains are relative to the current readiness so 10 pts might mean 10->20 or 80->90 etc. I think the manual is wrong in this part though. The real numbers are that the unit consumes 50% to keep their current readiness. And can then consume up to 75% more to recover up to 30 readiness. Note that the readiness increase is linear to the extra supply consumed not superlinear as the manual would implicate and that the maximum supply consumed in a turn is 125% not 150% as the manual say (so you can regain 30 readiness per turn for 4 turns then the local supply in the unit is consumed and you can only regain 20 per turn until you rebuild the local supply store).

Im not quite sure how the ap works but as far as i can tell you gain back all the ap each turn but take a penalty for having <100% readiness. There might also be a penalty for being attacked the previous turn and motorized units seem to take a larger hit (my panzer divisions always seem to end up on 99% readiness but only get like 80 ap while foot divisions seem to loose 0.5ap per missing readiness or so).
Hugolin

Post by Hugolin »

It'd be good to have some more informations on the exact mechanisms. I'm not a maniac of minimaxing, it's not about that, it's just about knowing the causes of what's happening. I'm not big on extensive play testing.

Also I gather that supply rebuilds faster when a unit doesn't move, it'd be nice to see how significant that is...

LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Supply originates from OKH or STAVKA. (Or the Tblisi HQ, if the card is played)

If using the default simple supply rules, supply (and replacements) flow from OKH/STAVKA directly to the unit, following a path of least movement points.

Supply movement is very cheap along the rail-line/road hexes. (Moving several hexes for the cost of a single AP).
Supply movement is fairly cheap along rail-lines. (1 AP/hex)
Along roads, it is 3AP per hex.

Over other terrain, it varies, depending on weather and type of terrain. Crossing rivers is very expensive ranging from 25-100 AP's depending on the size of river.

You gain bonus AP's if the supply line moves through a VP city.

If the cost in AP's from OKH/STAVKA is 100 AP's (or less), then your supply level is green, and you get 100% of the requested supplies.

If the cost in AP's is 100-150, then your supply level is yellow, and you get 75%.

If the cost in AP's is 150-200, then your supply level is blue, and you get 50%.

If the cost in AP's is 200-250, then your supply level is red, and you get 25%.

If it is more then 250 AP's then you are out of supply and get nothing.

If a unit moves/fights/rails...or was attacked, then it will lose readiness. Readiness is regained by spending supply. Units also hold up to 20 rounds of combat ammunition. This is shown under rounds as a number from 0 to 2 with .1 being one turn.

If you use the hardcore supply rule, then supply (and replacements) flow from OKH=>Army=>Corp=>Unit.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”