PBEM operational report issue

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

SwedenJens

PBEM operational report issue

Post by SwedenJens »

Hi,

I have a problem with my PBEM games. Every PBEM that I load (from different slots) displays the Operational report from my Single Player game.
I've tried to clear all files from my Save folder and that makes the Operational report empty.
Another problem is that the combat animations doesn't run in PBEM even though the settings say it should. Anyone seen this before?

(it works excellent for my PBEM opponent)

/Jens
Bullwinkle58

RE: PBEM operational report issue

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: SwedenJens

Hi,

I have a problem with my PBEM games. Every PBEM that I load (from different slots) displays the Operational report from my Single Player game.
I've tried to clear all files from my Save folder and that makes the Operational report empty.
Another problem is that the combat animations doesn't run in PBEM even though the settings say it should. Anyone seen this before?

(it works excellent for my PBEM opponent)

/Jens

You don't say, but I assume you are playing the Allied side?

Slots don't matter. Each install of the game keeps only the last Operations report text file that was run. If you are using the same install to play PBEM and a single-player game they will get in each other's way. If you look in your Save folder you will see a series of .txt files. For the Allies they are aoperaitonsreport.txt, asigint.txt, CombatEvents.txt, combatreport.txt. There are also two with a 'j' prefix which are the portion of Japan's files the Allied player is allowed to see. There is also an updateReport.txt which isn't relevant to playing the game turn to turn.

Each of the four "working" Allied text files is generated when the Japnese player runs the turn. They are included in the combat replay file (""the movie") sent by the Japanese player to the Allied. They aren't altered when the Allied player runs the movie. But they ARE overwritten if a turn from another game is run on that AE install.

Watch your last combat replay/movie file again, then look in Save at the text files. Open them in Notepad. If they still aren't there you have a problem which needs further help. If they are you need to begin to play your single-player game in a second install of AE. You can copy your single-player save file over to the new install and continue that game. Just launch it from a new shortcut.

Animaitons should be locally controllable through the set-up screens. I think. A few display options are only controllable by the Japanese player, but most are local. Try that. If that doesn't work you might need to negotiate with the Japanese player to set the controls so you're both happy. But I think animaitons are local. Use the Preferences set-up screen. See Section 2.6 in the manual.
The Moose
SwedenJens

Post by SwedenJens »

The problem was that the allied player didn't send me the combat report file. I have now received the Combat report file and when I loaded the Combat file the Operations log was updated and remained when I then loaded the save file.
My problem is solved. Thank you!
Cpt Sherwood

Post by Cpt Sherwood »

The Allied player should only send the turn file and nothing else. Japan sends the turn file and the combat replay file.
“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” ― Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Cpt Sherwood

The Allied player should only send the turn file and nothing else. Japan sends the turn file and the combat replay file.

Yes. Note to SwedenJens: it is VERY important to do it this way. Allies send turn file; Japan sends turn file and Save slot #1 combat replay file.
The Moose
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Yes. Note to SwedenJens: it is VERY important to do it this way. Allies send turn file; Japan sends turn file and Save slot #1 combat replay file.

And the same version that created that file for replay, is the same version replaying that replay. Have the IJ on version X and the Allies on version Y, and the replay will not match reality.
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I forgot to add, if the Allied player, always run the combat replay for the last turn before opening the turn file for the current turn. That will write the text files properly.
The Moose

Return to “Tech Support”