HITMAN202 versus THEPRO's Sean is welcomed ... Sillyflower is allowed.

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

HITMAN202

RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Sillyflower is allowed.

Post by HITMAN202 »

Actually, I had been worried since about the 10 th turn about the natural weakness that occurs with a strong Volkov River D-line and a stong presence west of Moscow...

The two solid defense zones on the Volkov River and in front of Moscow (Green marks) have a real Achilles heel in the mountainous area southeast of Lake Ilmen; particullarly just south of Lake Ilmen (red star.) It was a growing worry. I was happy to take Novograd (I think THEPROS should have tried to hold it) but I was able to combine business and pleasure....
Attachments
152.jpg
152.jpg (471.77 KiB) Viewed 43 times
WITE is a good addiction with no cure.
HITMAN202

Post by HITMAN202 »

It's easy to forget how strong the PZ are; particuarly when they have been hitting fort lines all game long. So at the start of the turn, this is what I am facing

Attachments
153.jpg
153.jpg (463.64 KiB) Viewed 43 times
HITMAN202

Post by HITMAN202 »

Sillyflower was more correct than I ; there were 4 div and 1 naval brigade remaining in Leningrad. After Leningrad's capture the Finns rushed to help take positions on the Volkov. This freed up a lot of German divisions.

Attachments
154.jpg
154.jpg (484.93 KiB) Viewed 43 times
HITMAN202

Post by HITMAN202 »

I created a nice offense east of Lake Ilmen, which threatens the whole Volkov line, in fact the entire Soviet position north

This is the first real challenge I've given THEPROS; they have largely sat back and enjoyed watching me hit my head against the wall of forts (AGN and AGC) or swinging in free air as the Soviets withdrew (AGS.)

I had poor MP's for AGC PZ's and it could have been a lot worse.
Attachments
155.jpg
155.jpg (512.98 KiB) Viewed 43 times
HITMAN202

Post by HITMAN202 »

The rest of the fronts are pretty vanilla

I made 7 huge attacks on the Moscow D line. They averaged 110 K troops per attack.
Attachments
156.jpg
156.jpg (500.47 KiB) Viewed 43 times
HITMAN202

Post by HITMAN202 »

Central Russia. Image

Attachments
156.jpg
156.jpg (500.47 KiB) Viewed 43 times
HITMAN202

Post by HITMAN202 »

Attachments
157.jpg
157.jpg (448.81 KiB) Viewed 43 times
HITMAN202

Post by HITMAN202 »

And AGS, where THEPROS keep on retreating 4 hexes a turn. I thought they would stand pat

Attachments
158.jpg
158.jpg (448.23 KiB) Viewed 43 times
HITMAN202

Post by HITMAN202 »

The stats

I got almost 29,00 armanents, 120,000 in the manpool and 110,000 HIWI (what does that stand for ???) Also no leader losses.

Casualties are 450 K Axis, 2150 K Soviets. I wonder if I'll get to the 2.5 mil mark pre-blizzard. ????

Attachments
159.jpg
159.jpg (303.47 KiB) Viewed 43 times
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Nice job so far.

North is great, with the hills in your hands the 42-44 river line looks to be safe.

The only area of major consern is the Stalino area. Looking at the current SHC counters on map I am guessing that several tank / cav armys are being held in reserve for blizzard.

The move east of Ilmen was a masterfull operation on your part. That really makes your positions solid for the rest of the war and gives you a fighting chance at a draw.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Sly

Post by Sly »

Yeah, a great move with "Hitman style" (not mistaken with Gangman style heheeheheh)
I think its all is consequence of fall of Leningrad. Leningrad is a key objectiv in northern Russsia and tie german troops in assult.
So fall of Leningrad was in my opinion a great failure for thepros and a great victory for hitman.
Iam not counting a few soviet divisions and Leningrad industrys. Mean strategic adventage of hitman in regrouping panzertroopen to another strike. With rail line near Staraya Russa you can even think about isolation between soviet centre and northern flank.
Thepros are still holding front in Karelia so if they dont want to allow Finns to cross Svir river they cant simply abandon Volkhov line and retreating like in AGS.
So let see what will happen...
HITMAN202

Post by HITMAN202 »

Hey, my friend ........ Don't over-praise what , in reality. was not that big of a deal to THEPROS. I think I can predict what Sillyflower would say; it does not interfere with their plans. They helds onto Leningrad thru the summer while tying up a big German force, did not lose a ton of troops (shipped a lot out after the railnet was cut), and their plannng for the future will continue unimpeded. Had I not taken the area east of Lake Ilmen THEPROS would have mounted a major effort there IMO.

A basic part of their strategy is not to give the Pz space to operate. I still haven't really opened anything up with my last turn; I've ndjust penetrated the defense there. They will respond appropriately.

Now Sillyflower has verbalized THEPROS biggest lament- just as I have been frustrated by the lack of '41 German fireworks, so will they in blizzard of'41-42. They have roughed up many an Axis player (some far more skilled than I) and were entertained. Not in this game. And they know it. I think Sillyflower is planning a Russian offense for winter, maybe mud, maybe even the last 3 turns in AGS this fall to keep the Germans close to his forces, It ain't going to happen. Don't worry Pelto, there are a lot of grey jerseys in AGS. A lot of rifles, tanks, and coffins for the Red horde if they come a calling.

Sillyflower can't force things near the Black Sea, he'll get pinned against it. He can't come straight ahead and up north, that's where the big boys are with the space THEPROS don't want me to have.

I've done nothing to worry them. I
gingerbread

Post by gingerbread »

Where is your AGN FBD unit? It does not show up in any screenie as supporting your operation...
HITMAN202

Post by HITMAN202 »

Here it is. It's not as exposed as it seems here. I sent my turn to THEPROS and it was messed up. This was my last screen save prior to sending and I did a ton of administrative stuff and little moves later. (Like protecting the FBD mors.) I got to have 90 minutes to finish the stuff (crap work I call it... getting my studs ready and rested for the blizzard,, planning as well as a ton of other stuff,) This game is difficult to play well.

Pelton believes (and I) that the Germans lose the war strategically and tactically and win it (draw it now) logistically/administratively. This is what I am doing. I'll share more over time (for the NOOBIES) but an example is that I garrison all cities close to the German border with Sec units and close to the front with Axis allies, as I now plan when to replace the allied units with my front line reserves.. who, what where, when, why, and how.
iTo play this game well is difficult to learn. Pelton has been a good adviser, THEPROS and will vicariously share in draw/defeat

Attachments
answer.jpg
answer.jpg (431.36 KiB) Viewed 42 times
gingerbread

Post by gingerbread »

Then you're good! This offensive has quite some potential.
hugh04

Post by hugh04 »

Unhinging the soviet northern defenses is very important. It creates the ability to inflict good casualties now that he is out of a good fort line and needs to manuever to prevent loss of more units. However, at this late point in summer campaign it mainly really makes a big difference in blizzard defense strategy. The more terrain you can take means the better your end of blizzard defense line looks. You should be able to hold lake illmen and the volkov now with the territory you are going to take between now and december. You could have a good snow offensive here. Good move.

Now surround another 200k near stalino and you will be doing great.

Vandev.
HITMAN202

Post by HITMAN202 »

I don't think it will really bother THEPROS. I think they will try to retreat some of my units, but it will only add to the toll. Another personal touch.... I'll share some and they may be useless ... but I'd like comments.

I have little railnet problems because I've made a lot of rail supply anatomosis (connection/linkages.) This what I do ... early I send 2-3 labor/construction units (SU's) to each AGHQ and 1 Infantry Corp HQ in each AG. Initially you have an abundance of these infantry HQ's in all AG's (not so much in AGS ,, that's another issue) with some 5 infantry leaders. So instead of replacing these weak leaders (which is $$$) I transfer thier infantry divisions and SU's (!!!) to "stronger" Corp HQ's and put in 2-3 repair/construction units.

I place these empty HQ's at areas where I want railnet connections and send the A-1 generated repair counters (RETURN TO HQ button) back to the HQ where they will be put to work closer to that particular HQ. I put the weak Corp HQ's to work. Also they can have a dual purpose of building forts. Over time I'll figure out where are key hexes to defend in 42-43-44 and park these suckers there (off course I'd have to put a fortified zone there eventually.)

This may be a worthless effort, but I think not. Imagine 3 of these units working the first 100 turns exclusively building forts in future D-lines ??? Nasty.
HITMAN202

Post by HITMAN202 »

I'd be playing with fire in AGS to be too agressive Vandev. If I were the Soviets I would swarm that sector with units (Cav) come mud or winter (maybe even turn 16 or 17) to set up a '41 Stalingrad. I will be in control of the Soviets this blizzard. I stress this... I'm going to give them nada to surround . I hope .[X(][X(][X(][X(]
hugh04

Post by hugh04 »

Sounds like you are planning on giving up Stalino and ending the blizzard near a D and Z town north south line. Very valid choice. Give 2 hexes a turn if you do not want to get zoc locked. One hex is not enough. Atleast that is what I learned. I just lost 10 german divisions during a recent blizzard. Not bad I think, but it really hurts. All my losses were between Tula and Kursk, on that very cold desolate plain. All my losses were caused by tank brigades and cav corps.

Vandev
HITMAN202

Post by HITMAN202 »

Yea, I'm going to give up space. I enjoyed reading your blizzard comments in the War Room. It's been helpful. I'll run. How much ??? MT says one must be flexible. Pelton says don't be stupid. I will do the first and not the later. To run like a coward rabbitt

Attachments
rabittttt.jpg
rabittttt.jpg (122.81 KiB) Viewed 42 times

Return to “After Action Reports”