delayed Air Groups

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jbdenney

delayed Air Groups

Post by jbdenney »

Just getting into this game as a newbe. Started new Full Campaign Game (historical 1st turn) as Allies against Axis AI and I am planning for Turn 2. The LCUs that were listed as "Delay 1" and "Delay 2" arrived as expected. However I see no signs of the eleven Air Groups that are Listed as "Delay 1 and "Delay 2" being anywhere on the map. WITPTRACKER still shows these units as delayed.

Am I missing something or do I have to take an action to get these units on map?

Just as FYI these are the air units in question...

2553 VMF-111 US Marines F4F-3A Wildcat Delay 1 USN Fleet Air West
2758 VP-71 US Navy PBY-4 Catalina Delay 1 USN ForwdAirCenPac
2760 VP-72 US Navy PBY-5 Catalina Delay 1 USN ForwdAirCenPac
2906 2-VI.G.II Dutch 139WH-3 Delay 1 ML-KNIL
2913 3-Vl.G.IV Dutch B-339D Delay 1 ML-KNIL
2922 Vk.A.4 Dutch L-212 Delay 1 ML-KNIL
2993 No.7 Sqn RCAF Canadian Shark III Delay 1 Western Air Command
2995 No.9 Sqn RCAF Canadian Stranraer II Delay 1 Western Air Command
3028 No.4 Sqn RNZAF New Zealand Hudson III (LR) Delay 1 RNZAF Command
2941 GVT-6 Dutch Do-24K-1 Delay 2 MLD
3170 No.5 Sqn RAF British Audax I Delay 2 AHQ India
DivePac88

RE: delayed Air Groups

Post by DivePac88 »

Have you checked the 'Off Map Bases', that's where the Canadian and US air groups arrive (look at the bases along the right hand side of the map).
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: jbdenney

Just getting into this game as a newbe.

welcome aboard!!!
jbdenney

Post by jbdenney »

I checked the Canada, US East Coast,UK, Panama and all of the other off map bases and they are not there.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

The game has the ability to allow for random delays or acceleration of reinforcements to the player. I believe the two settings are +/- 15 days and +/- 60 days. Look at your realism options. This might account for some delays...

And yes, welcome aboard! Hal
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Forget Tracker. Use the existing ingame resources.

1. Use "I" shortcut key. Then click on aircraft reinforcement schedule. If the units are still there, they have not arrived yet.

2. Use "A" shortcut key. If units are onmap they will be listed here and their current location shown.

Tracker is a fine program but it is not necessary. Nor is it's use really compatible with playing with FOW on. All the relevant info is already provided in the various ingame info resources. Read chapter 5 of the manual.

Players should only use Tracker after they are fully conversant with the ingame information resources. Once so mastered they can then look at whether the additional functionability of Tracker is useful, bearing in mind that any program which reads saved files provides info which defeats the intent of FOW.

Alfred
jbdenney

Post by jbdenney »

My reinforcement Level is set to "Fixed" - at least that is what it says in the pre-game settings and I have not changed that.

Hitting I and then checking Reinforcement scheduled shows that they are still coming in 1 (or 2) days, the sam eas they are shown in the initial game setup.

On the A click they do not show on map.

Since I am on "Fixed" reinforcement I am concerned that I am missing something with the Air Groups.

The only real reason I use Tracker is to create a "Historical Record" of what happens to the Ships, Planes, LCUs and Bases.I don't really use it for planning. I like later being able to see that Enterprise was damaged on this day and took this much damage was repaired and when back into battle or how many ships that Seawolf sank. even though I am playing the Allies against the Jap AI I set up Tracker for that other side and load its data each turn when I load the Allied data. I don't look at it so I can keep "FOW" but I want to be able to look at happened on that side later.
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Forget Tracker. Use the existing ingame resources.

1. Use "I" shortcut key. Then click on aircraft reinforcement schedule. If the units are still there, they have not arrived yet.

2. Use "A" shortcut key. If units are onmap they will be listed here and their current location shown.

Tracker is a fine program but it is not necessary. Nor is it's use really compatible with playing with FOW on. All the relevant info is already provided in the various ingame info resources. Read chapter 5 of the manual.

Players should only use Tracker after they are fully conversant with the ingame information resources. Once so mastered they can then look at whether the additional functionability of Tracker is useful, bearing in mind that any program which reads saved files provides info which defeats the intent of FOW.

Alfred
Alfred, I agree with what u are saying in your first 2 points. But apart from aircraft losses where are we breaking FOW? I'd really like to know cause its not intentional... and if we are we'll fix it. Some calculations are provided but they est production capabilities.

Regards
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Damian,

I have the aircraft losses very much in mind.[:)]

Players rely very much on ascertaining aircraft losses, not just for their own side but also on what they inflict on the enemy. I would say that the biggest area in the game affected by FOW is airplane losses. Many other game aspects are colloquially referred to as FOW but really are more a case of meagre detection levels than classical "info confusion/misunderstanding" which is what FOW really captures.

I don't know how you could realistically fudge the airplane losses. That the accurate info is provided should not be a problem anyway if the player plays, to use that well known phrase used by the devs, "righteously". IOW if a player has deliberately chosen to play with FOW ON they should not then use Tracker to determine precisely which enemy units lost planes etc last turn.

I haven't considered it because it doesn't affect how players play the game anywhere to the same extent as does aircraft losses, but sunk ships might also be of benefit to those who don't play "righteously".

As I said, Tracker is a fine program. But people should really learn and understand the game mechanics first rather than jumping in straight away to use the additional features of Tracker. Notwithstanding the support given by yourself and Floyd some people never succeed in getting Tracker to run. Or some find the memory demands of the program too much for their systems. Those people should never feel they are being short changed. All the information is already available within the game, albeit in some instances perhaps not as user friendly as Tracker.

Alfred
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Alfred,

While I agree with you in general, specifically here I will say that playing the IJ without Tracker is murderous. There is simply not enough in game resources to properly, within my lifetime expectancy, manage the IJ economy. Your comments about aircraft losses is accurate and I do try to ignore those numbers. But Ship and Aircraft queues, VEH and ARM points, HI and Supply mangement are very hard to deal with outside of tracker.
Pax
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Alfred,

While I agree with you in general, specifically here I will say that playing the IJ without Tracker is murderous. There is simply not enough in game resources to properly, within my lifetime expectancy, manage the IJ economy. Your comments about aircraft losses is accurate and I do try to ignore those numbers. But Ship and Aircraft queues, VEH and ARM points, HI and Supply mangement are very hard to deal with outside of tracker.

Agreed.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: jbdenney

Just getting into this game as a newbe. Started new Full Campaign Game (historical 1st turn) as Allies against Axis AI and I am planning for Turn 2. The LCUs that were listed as "Delay 1" and "Delay 2" arrived as expected. However I see no signs of the eleven Air Groups that are Listed as "Delay 1 and "Delay 2" being anywhere on the map. WITPTRACKER still shows these units as delayed.

Am I missing something or do I have to take an action to get these units on map?

a/c arrive on during the turn there are scheduled to. As this is the beginning of the game those with delay 2 at the start will turn up during turn 2. For some reason LCUs arrive at the end of the preceding turn. Tracker does not show units as arrived until they are on the map.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

ORIGINAL: Alfred
but sunk ships might also be of benefit to those who don't play "righteously".

Alfred, not sure I understand but tracker quite often reports ships sunk that are not, thus FOW is on alive and well in the area of ship "tracking". Quite often I get a report in that indicates ship XXXX was not sunk and thus tracker readjusts the victory point spread accordingly.

Hal
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I actually find the in-game ship sunk screen to be more useful than that in Tracker, though by combining the two I can get a pretty good idea of what I've sunk. Tracker often has extraneous/erroneous reports of sinkings that never even show up in-game, IME.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”