All things Football (soccer) related

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

warspite1

RE: European Championships

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: british exil

Warspite remember, most playoffs don't have penalties at the end so there is always hope.

But I already feel sick about not going to Brazil, esp having to work with a group of Germans, that feel a 4:1 tonight is like a defeat.

Mat
warspite1

Yes but remember also, if we do make it to the play-offs and are drawn against some of those teams I mentioned previously, we won't get anywhere near penalties [;)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
wodin

Post by wodin »

Hmm..I remember all the way through the Euro's we were playing well enough to win it. Only against Spain we struggled. Italia 90 the final was rubbish and we'd have beat either side if Germany hadn't fluked that goal. So yes we struggled at times in those competitions but no where near as poor as we are now. Every team has a tough match and they need abit of luck..we got that against Spain in Euro '96 and should have beat Germany. The Euro Dutch match was supreme.

Hoddle leaving out Gazza was a crime. Gazza never got over that. Yes he was aging but the match before he was told he wasn't going he controlled the midfield and everything centered on him..he was like the center of a wheel passing it along the spokes..

We are useless now and have been since Euro '96.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

*Michael Owen belongs with those two as well. England were so lucky to have those three, one after the other. Sadly their talents were wasted....

Michael Owen of the early years perhaps, the wee chap who made his mark in France 98. But Michael Owen after he went to Newcastle (and lost his pace) was pants. How he conned Fergie into signing him is a mystery. And why he signed for Stoke(!) is a bigger one.
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
wodin

Post by wodin »

All Owen had was pace. Rooney hasn't fulfilled his potential either..sulks to much he had allround skill and not just one asset.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Dixie

*Michael Owen belongs with those two as well. England were so lucky to have those three, one after the other. Sadly their talents were wasted....

Michael Owen of the early years perhaps, the wee chap who made his mark in France 98. But Michael Owen after he went to Newcastle (and lost his pace) was pants. How he conned Fergie into signing him is a mystery. And why he signed for Stoke(!) is a bigger one.
warspite1

Yes, injuries - particularly the one he got at the World Cup in 2006 spelt the long, slow, drawn out end. As for Man U and Stoke, I guess they took a punt - probably didn't pay much relatively - and it didn't come off for either party.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

All Owen had was pace.
warspite1

...which is incredibly valuable in a top class striker. But to say that's all he had is wrong. Like Lineker, and like Shearer, Owen did the what he was paid to do. World and European stage, he could be relied upon to score in the big games; goals against Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Portugal witness that.

When I was growing up, the World Cup of 66 and the near miss of 70 were fading rapidly into the distance. We tried to qualify for World and European finals with the likes of Malcolm MacDonald, Tony Woodcock, Mark Hateley, Steve Bull - even Trevor Francis 12 goals in 52 games!!

Unless your Spain - or maybe France in 98, you need a World Class goal scorer to win competitions. We were soooo lucky to have those three. We may not have another for quite a while....

british exil

Post by british exil »

All Owen had was pace.
warspite1

...which is incredibly valuable in a top class striker. But to say that's all he had is wrong. Like Lineker, and like Shearer, Owen did the what he was paid to do. World and European stage, he could be relied upon to score in the big games; goals against Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Portugal witness that.

When I was growing up, the World Cup of 66 and the near miss of 70 were fading rapidly into the distance. We tried to qualify for World and European finals with the likes of Malcolm MacDonald, Tony Woodcock, Mark Hateley, Steve Bull - even Trevor Francis 12 goals in 52 games!!

Unless your Spain - or maybe France in 98, you need a World Class goal scorer to win competitions. We were soooo lucky to have those three. We may not have another for quite a while....

But come every tournement, it is always said England have the best team ever. Maybe they see the paper version of a team, on the pitch it is a different thing. In South Africa germany showed England how to play, England looked like they thought it was just a training day. Germany played as if it were a training day, no effort needed, all the passes were on target not to mention the shots at the goal. A black day for England.

Poland and Ukraine were even worse, kick and rush, things of Englands past. Something I hoped I would never see again. Long shot forward, fingers crossed, the ball might find it's way into the goal.

I feel really sad for the England Fan that travels to watch the matches, paying extremy of money, only to be dissapointed. Or rather to be in the stadium where the players forget how to play football, I mean they do train alot and they get quite a bit of money from the FA, because they sacrifice their time for England.

They should give the money to the fans so they can be reinbursed.

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
Orm

Post by Orm »

What happened in the FA cup? I thought that this kind of violence didn't happen any longer in English Football. Is this just a single Millwall incident?

Attachments
Violencee..mifinal.jpg
Violencee..mifinal.jpg (45.17 KiB) Viewed 56 times
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

What happened in the FA cup? I thought that this kind of violence didn't happen any longer in English Football. Is this just a single Millwall incident?

warspite1

Orm - please do not mistake these thugs and tossers for football fans. They are scum pure and simple. There is a record of violence linked to Millwall going back to the early 20th century, but all clubs have such mindless twats.

To be clear, this had nothing to do with football - they were apparently all from the Millwall section - and everything to do with a society that tolerates such behaviour. Who knows the motivation - gang rivalry? Boredom? A "good" day out?

Its sickening and should be stamped on by the authorities but that is a forlorn hope...

Orm

Post by Orm »

Orm - please do not mistake these thugs and tossers for football fans. They are scum pure and simple.

I do know that they are pure scum. My original post stemmed from my surprise since I thought these thugs gone forever from the English football arenas. I hope it was just a one time incident and that those involved will be banned from the arenas.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Orm - please do not mistake these thugs and tossers for football fans. They are scum pure and simple.

I do know that they are pure scum. My original post stemmed from my surprise since I thought these thugs gone forever from the English football arenas. I hope it was just a one time incident and that those involved will be banned from the arenas.
warspite1

Sadly, I don't think it will ever disappear. The penalties are just not strong enough.

Orm

Post by Orm »

warspite1

Sadly, I don't think it will ever disappear. The penalties are just not strong enough.
In Sweden I do not think they get any punishment at all. [:(]

Lets move on. The Spurs seems to have a decent season this year but to much seems to depend on Bale playing. Tough to leave the Euro cup on penalties but at least now you can focus on the league.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

In Sweden I do not think they get any punishment at all. [:(]

Lets move on. The Spurs seems to have a decent season this year but to much seems to depend on Bale playing. Tough to leave the Euro cup on penalties but at least now you can focus on the league.
warspite1

Just like last season our league form has deserted us and we are now 5th and struggling for a Champions League place. I hate football anyway and its a stupid girls game [;)]

Go Baltimore Ravens!!..or something....[:D]

wodin

Post by wodin »

Even scousers admit thats all he had..once it went that was it..Rooney is more of an all rounder like Gazza was. Owen was overhyped..Linekar didn't have pace he was good at being in the right spot..Shearer has more than just pace...

As for Spurs we don't deserve to be in the top four..useless as usual.

All Owen had was pace.
warspite1

Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Just like last season our league form has deserted us and we are now 5th and struggling for a Champions League place. I hate football anyway and its a stupid girls game [;)]

You have Spursed it up. Again! [:D] Could be worse though, you could support Liverpool where the manager thinks that missing out on European football next season will be a benefit. Because that way they won't have any distractions from getting into fourth place and earning European football. But then surely they'll have the distraction of European football again? [&:]

Anyway, you're fifth from the top rather than fifth from the bottom so it could be worse...
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Even scousers admit thats all he had..once it went that was it..Rooney is more of an all rounder like Gazza was. Owen was overhyped..Linekar didn't have pace he was good at being in the right spot..Shearer has more than just pace...

All Owen had was pace.
warspite1

warspite1

Guess we'll agree to disagree on that one [;)]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

You have Spursed it up. Again! [:D] Could be worse though, you could support Liverpool where the manager thinks that missing out on European football next season will be a benefit. Because that way they won't have any distractions from getting into fourth place and earning European football. But then surely they'll have the distraction of European football again? [&:]

Anyway, you're fifth from the top rather than fifth from the bottom so it could be worse...
warspite1

If I have my facts right, only 5th place will get a Europa League spot this year (Swansea and Wigan take the other two places) so I guess Rodgers has to talk up the positives of not playing in Europe....

The way Spurs are playing - and have been for a couple of months - we will be lucky to hold onto 5th. Perhaps AVB will soon be extolling the virtues of not being in Europe next year too..... [;)]

Dixie

Post by Dixie »

warspite1

If I have my facts right, only 5th place will get a Europa League spot this year (Swansea and Wigan take the other two places) so I guess Rodgers has to talk up the positives of not playing in Europe....

The way Spurs are playing - and have been for a couple of months - we will be lucky to hold onto 5th. Perhaps AVB will soon be extolling the virtues of not being in Europe next year too..... [;)]

Out of curiosity: Would you, as a fan, rather get fifth place and the Europa League with a decent chance of winning it or fourth place and the Champions' League with no chance of winning the competition? This obviously ignores the probability of finishing third in the CL group and being dropped into the Europa League (a practice that, IMO, should stop).
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

Out of curiosity: Would you, as a fan, rather get fifth place and the Europa League with a decent chance of winning it or fourth place and the Champions' League with no chance of winning the competition? This obviously ignores the probability of finishing third in the CL group and being dropped into the Europa League (a practice that, IMO, should stop).
warspite1

Its a good question. I have to say the latter - but am not happy about it.

I was brought up in the days of the European Cup, Cup Winners Cup and UEFA Cup. All quality competitions that teams that qualified for wanted to win.

Sadly, the Champions League monster was created - and with it, the continued polarisation of European football (no doubt this paves the way for a European League in due course) that allows the rich elite to get richer. The reason I have to say the Champions League is more important is purely financial. Without it, a club will quickly fall into the second rank, top players will be difficult to attract, and clubs lose their best players to those clubs that can offer CL football.

Fair play to AVB for wanting to try and win the Europa League this year (although Spurs being Spurs we mucked it up) but too many clubs can't be bothered with it because of the need for CL. Aston Villa a few years ago was a sad case in point. They got through to the latter stages of the competiion but then fielded a weakened side to ensure they were able to maintain their top 4 challenge. As it turned out they then went out of the Europa league and their league form collapsed and so missed out anyway.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Wow - I wonder what the future holds for QPR now?

Portsmouth and Leeds are two words that spring to mind.......[:(]

Return to “General Discussion”