Sirian's Ship Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Sirian

Sirian's Ship Mod

Post by Sirian »

It might not be the best time to release a mod, but its finished now and so I will release it now even if Age of Shadows is around the corner.

It replaces every single ship in Distand Worlds (except for 2 bases) with ships taken mostly from Gratuitous Space Battles and a few from Kalthaniels ship sets. I liked GSBs ship set and as it is also 2d I thought I'd give it a try. It worked very well and so I started to replace all ship families one by one.

As there are 21 ship families plus major and minor sets and I am only one person I had to accept a compromise. I would do a ship series per race family. So all humanoids got the same ship designs but in different colors, all insects have the same look but different colors. As I did all ship series in different colors I added a few more colors than were needed, so that every ship series at least has a red, a green and a blue variant.

Disclaimer: I only edited those images, I did not draw them up myself. I found wonderful ship sets in a mod compilation in the internet - to my shame I cannot even remember where - and I used some of the edited images in my mods, so they are essentially not my work. As I edited a huge amount of ships, I cannot remember which one was taken and which one was edited by me so plesae forgive me. To my memory the Phantom Pirates, Feline and Insectiod ship series contain designs I "found".

Additionally I used images from Kalthaniels ship series for the Shakturi and Shakturi allies. I hope he is not mad at me. From his Chocolate ship set I took the station images for the Feline series as I simply couldn't come up with something better.

As the mod is quite large, I made a section on my web page that holds all the infos: Sirian'S Ship Mod All images can be downloaded there.

Have fun!
Sirian
arioch

RE: Sirian's Ship Mod

Post by arioch »

Very nice!!! Will be using for my next game.

The Melniboneans (zenox) thank you for the non-rodent ship set. ;-)

Would love to see the DW combat more like the GSB. For example, being able to set initial fleet layout, posture and then when bases/fleets/ships engage, all hell breaks loose.

Thanks, Sirian!
DW+ROTS+Legends+1.7.0.16 update+GEM 2.3+Sirian mods
Verstorbene

Post by Verstorbene »

There are a lot of quality ship families here. Nice work!
Mansen

Post by Mansen »

Looks great :)
Currently Working On:
X-Universe Conversion (Hiatus)
Seraph86

Post by Seraph86 »

thanks, looks great...definitely tying out :).
dostillevi

Post by dostillevi »

Thank you Sirian, I downloaded this but just got around to looking at it. Nice work! By the way these art files are accessible from the Gratuitous Space Battles game folder. I dug em up the other day.
crusender

Post by crusender »

they look greats, thx for them. But some ship (in the parasites serie) dont have engine line, so flying contruction ship flying around whit no thrust look. (i have to add them myself)
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

I checked the construction ship, you are right, engines were missing. I corrected it but still have to upload a patch. Do you happen to know any other ship sprites with missing bits?
crusender

Post by crusender »

yep, the bomber, exploration ship, fighter, passenger ship and small freighter,
Euler

Post by Euler »

I am just curious if there is any way to use this ship mod with Haree78's Extended Shadows mod? These ships look fantastic and I would like to play with both mods if possible.

Update: I just copied ship image files into the appropriate folders in the Customization directory. I just replaced some of the ship designs since there weren't enough for all of them. But it works great!
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

This should be no promblem, as all of my mods only supply new graphics files. These can be used in place of any other graphics file as they only change... graphics. No behavior of the game is changed, it just looks prettier - at least, I hope so.
Euler

Post by Euler »

Yes they do look great Sirian, and thank you for putting them together! And if you are ever inclined to make more sets and/or more color varieties, that would be wonderful. [:)]

By the way, on your ship mods page, I noticed that the Reptilian/Federation ship series isn't downloading for some reason. Just letting you know!
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

It is not just the ships that are nice... your whole web page has nice stuff in it.
Thank you.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

You are right, someone misspelled the filename. The responsible person was found and has been punished. Severely.
@tjhkkr: thanks, what were you looking at in particular (just curious)

Regards, Sirian
Euler

Post by Euler »

I have all your mods installed Sirian and particularly like the resource one because the original resources were hard to see. But they are all very well done!

Return to “Design and Modding”